• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i7 4790 Temperature Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

Made a build for a friend using an Intel i7 4790 stock on an Asus z97 Pro board, but some temperatures are off. I have reset the Hyper 212 Evo twice and same result. Prime95 testing gives me temps that reach 70 Degrees max. Anyways what puzzles me is that Core 0 hits max 70, Core 1&2 hit max 68, and oddly Core 3 only hits max 62. Is this normal having Core 0 and Core 3 with a difference of 8 Degrees? Thanks!

dja2k

I don't own a Haswell but I can tell you there is a difference of 7c between two of my 2600k's four cores. No, I would say that an 8c spread is not abnormal.

Is this CPU overclocked? If not, 70c does not seem unreasonable. But if you begin to overclock it and add volts to the core you will see those temps skyrocket.

Thanks! Yeah one of my cores is like 3-4 degrees less than the others on my 2500K, but was worried about an 8 degree difference. And no there will be no overclocking as this built is not for me personally. Anyways if I do jump ship to a Haswell, I would definitely get a K version for Overclocking.

dja2k

Intel's temperature sensors are only accurate to +/-5°C and that's at the calibration point. A difference of less than 10°C between the hottest and coldest core is completely normal. It might just be sensor error you are seeing and have nothing to do with the actual core temperature. These sensors only purpose is for thermal throttle control. They do not need to be 100% accurate temperature monitoring devices so they are not.

Back