• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NR 609 7.1 Onkyo Receiver "died" after 2.5 years (heavely used)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Makes sense, what's that saying again? All high no lows, must be Bose! Excluding some disco, the majority of it seemed to have an outright hatred of bass in any way.

I haven't heard anything made in the last 25 years or so from Bose, but I did hear some of their older stuff, and it sounded pretty good :D

While I can't speak to the receiver in question , I have seen a loteivers , integrates , and amps , that have internal fuses on the output side of the amplifier section(s). They protect against shorted speaker wires and the like.
A fuse is much too slow to effectively protect semiconductors. (There's a joke in electrical engineering saying that it always seems like the semiconductors blow to protect the fuses.) What is normally done nowadays is to detect overcurrent and switch off the drive signals.

There is a fuse on the PSU input, but that's just for safety in the event the PSU shorts internally, not to actually protect the PSU.

Recently i found a offer for a "aged", not the newest model but its unused and basically new including full warranty (of course, warranty got low saying nowadays, it could die as soon as warranty over), Pioneer SC-LX56-S Receiver (actually i enjoy the silver color) and the price would be around 800 USD. Now the question is, can it be considered a good deal? Worth it or are there better options around 600-800 USD? Hope there is some useful replys soon, because only 2 on stock and it got a good price cut so it may sell out quick. Remember: Im not in search of raw audio quality, all i need is a hardware with high endurance, im not a audiophile geek, im just a lover of quality. It could have the worlds best sound, if it goes boom after 2 years it got no use for me. I want a hassle free, reliable, endurable, always working... nothing else... receiver, other stuff is of low priority. DNLA or whatever, its stuff some freaks can use but please without me... i got basic needs and basic wishes, not freaky apps and what else. So, hope its clear what i need, but of course i need a HDMI passthrough (up to 4K)... because its the way how i want to implement that device with all my other hardware (thats why i say "receiver"). If i want to use freaky apps i got enough of PC power to spare... i dont need a audio hardware to take over such duty with decreased endurance because of all the sensitive electronic junk with unnecessary bloat. Yes its junk if someone got different opinion can use another topic in order to boast theyr lifestyle but not inside this topic, its here for quality not unnecessary innovations.

Regarding a superior quality Receiver (custom or not custom, doesnt matter as long as i know what to get and how to solve) i will think about it another time because its a complicated matter and may need a lot of research, so i need another capable receiver in between at a moderate but not high price tag, and some "dated" receivers from Pioneer could be a good deal. They may use some Onkyo parts but Pioneer is known to make better hardware because they upgrade the stuff with better quality electronical parts (better Caps and such). Onkyo itself... im now pretty clear, is nowadays a mainstream company with sometimes very terrible quality. All what counts is cash cash cash... almost no good quality parts anymore, the cheaper the better i feel... and actually the stuff is overpriced, to much junk inside.

Ah anyway, my old Onkyo im gonna send to Onkyo soon, it is outside regular warranty but i was registering my device at Onkyo i remember, so it could have extended warranty. So, perhaps they gonna replace, i dont know. If they do i may say some good words and will use the old receiver for my guestroom and as a backup receiver, there is always some uses. Its always better to have 2 instead of 1 because as soon as one is dying... i will be without sound for many many months. And i had bad joy using my TV speakers all the time... i really need a good audio device. I was not sending in my old Onkyo yet because to much frustration, i always had in mind audio hardware would last "forever" but it was boom faster than almost anything i ever had.

Just as i said i am not a true audiophile, i just need some powerful and "average" sound, not a terrible sound, a average one... there is high difference between terrible and average. TV speakers are always "terrible", but i would say a 600-800 USD receiver is at least "average" in audiophile terms.

You say you want quality, but you seem to be stalling. As I mentioned earlier, there is a compromise to be made, and I can tell you first hand that you can pretty much circumvent all the 'niceties' that a receiver offers if you have an available computer to do the work instead. All that leaves are 2-3 pieces of audio equipment. A preamp, a DAC (optional), and an amp. All can be had used because the quality allows for it. You want names? How about Adcom, Rotel, Classe, Parasound, McIntosh, Audio Research, Emotiva, NAD, Krell, Theta, Outlaw, Pass Labs...jeez, the list can go on forever.

Find closure and turn the page. It's a whole new world when you step up into specialty gear and it IS affordable. It can no longer be compared to box store electronics--it's like Dell building you a computer vs. building one yourself.
I will slowly, yes slowly, investigate the matter on how to make a good and afforable "custom audio-receiver build" and how i make computers to do the HDMI passthrough (including all the switching) and other work for me, so finally i will have a computer hardware for passthrough and connection (sound processing too) and the audio hardware will be audio only and nothing else. Surely may rise quality to levels never seen before but it is complicated for beginners, there is endless options and i am at the difficult spot "what to chose", "what to get", "how to solve", "how to fit my needs"... its a question of how ... or "know how"... thats not a light word, it got a lot of meaning.

I will soon make a exact list of my needs (not that high, simply many 4k passthrough, many speaker channels and a easy switch) and then start to study about the possible solutions. My time is not always maximized and, just as a huge amount of other people, i enjoy easy and practicable solutions, not a geek solution but a quality solution.

I wasnt contacting Onkyo because my mood was terrible... and im way to busy all the time, its a high matter that i like to delay endless times because everytime i put my mind on it i feel bad.

I would highly recommend finding the nearest specialty audio shop and taking a visit, even if you have to drive 200 miles. So, get to steppin', one way or another.
It may work in the US but my country? No way! Most specialty shop died (no innovations and not affordable) and the one still living got such incredible high prices that it is beyond good and bad. I do need own knowledge and some hints from a scene, and import all the hardware myself or find a few good offers on the net. Thats my only chance getting the stuff i need at a affordable price, sorry. Its not US... its way lower developed when it comes to such terms and always ridiculously high priced.

Last edited:
SPDIF is problematic because not all devices got SPDIF but any device got either HDMI or RGB over scart (a few VGA but rarely ever used). Getting RGB support for all retro stuff was already challenging but i was successful. Scart i will connect directly to the TV (analog passthrough will create quality loss without dedicated switch) and use the analog L/R for receiver so there is no Scart port needed but a L/R input. Apart from that, SPDIF may lack the reqired bitrate in order for 7.1 channel. I may only use 2 boxes right now but im gonna upgrade to even more. Currently i use old boxes with good sound (by hearing it and judging if they can fit). But someday i may get a full set of new boxes, right now i have other problems to solve.

But its a bit more complicated than the stuff you got in mind. I want to connect around 10 devices with digital and analog sound output, so im gonna need some good connection interface.

Attention: In my term passthrough means, there is only sound processing but the picture will be passed through without any modification (scaling or whatever). Sound will alway be processed else i will lack good sound. Simply connect all devices on a single spot, passing the picture to a aingle screen, and processing all the sound including switch for devices (the stuff most receivers are capable off).

Absolutly no acceptance for 2.5 years lifetime junk... i got old retro devices at my home still running at the age of 25 years, such electronics do exist (every 6-12 months i am powering up some unused retro devices in order to fill up caps and internal battery, i know the term "endurance"). My Pana plasma was running almost 5 years at a nearly 24/7 hardcore use (multi device screen) and i got me a new Plasma because 1. Price dropped a lot short time after the Pana plasma market died. 2. 3D option, 3. Better picture 4. I want to support a rare "arch-hardware", but not accepted by the mainstream market. But it was not because my old TV may have died... not even after hardcore multi-use.

Last edited:
My TV is a TX-P50VTW60 Smart VIERA NeoPlasma TV, i think it got SPDIF out but didnt check. Although its limited use because not enough ports to use the TV as a switch.

Well, lets talk some words about your possible solution: http://qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa100.htm

The good: It is a master of simplification, just the stuff someone truly need, so the risk of "odds" is almost zero. The risk of failure is close to none because it only is having the most critical parts and probably at a very high quality (i cant judge, i lack a close view of all the parts but i see a lot of expensive ceramic Cap, they are rarely ever used on mainstream junk). The general PCB layout seems to be very clean, looks like quality manufacturing. ASRC circuit working differently compared to traditional "DAC", resulting into possibly highest audio quality, as an example the "THD" of just 0.06%, thats almost twice as good compared to the 800 USD Pioneer receiver. But i cant say if those values got true meaning... im not a audiophile, just a lover of quality.

The bad: Ability to upgrade to a multichannel speaker system is not available, it will be stereo but nothing different than that. Of course it doesnt mean there is loss in audio quality but some movies and probably some games are optimized for multichannel in mind and may have some more depth when using it so it can give some surround effect (someone can detect what direction something is coming from and stuff). But of course its of low matter to music, because the raw audio quality is making the big difference and not "surround effect". I will need a HDMI external switch, thats additional cost, and i would enjoy to have some "intelligent" switch who can be done using remote control or remote mouse/KB. The price is rather high for a receiver with just 2 channel and rather limited power output, 60 W over 8 OHM, (power isnt quality, simply good for bass and such).

Final solution?

Well... what im gonna do? That receiver may be outstanding for all the stereo material, and clearly above the quality of a "standard" multichannel device, even high priced ones. I think my solution is that im gonna use 2 HDMI on my TV in order to connect to the QA-100 Amplifier (using SPDIF), and the analog devices will be connected to that QA-100 using L/R, because its perfect for stereo use (they dont have multichannel anyway). Because only 2 boxes needed i think i could afford really good ones. High power wont be needed, just raw audio quality.

However, for game (gamer PC) and movie use (in term they have 7.1+. if not i may switch to the QA-100 by using a dedicated HTPC) i may use a standart 7.1+ channel receiver (probably Pioneer), in that term i use the 3. HDMI on my TV in order to connect the multichannel-receiver. So that means i can save up a switch and im simply gonna use a lot of dated boxes (they are rather cheap but may have good performance still) with lot of finetuning in order to build up that multichannel system.

If i cant decide... combined approach could be best deal but rather expensive. The issue is... on a stereo output, the QA-100 will blow away the Pioneer by a clear margin, but simply wont offer multichannel surround. However, just a few material is actually using multichannel surround and that stuff is hyped way to much. Well OK, lets make it short and without pain. Gonna get me the Pioneer i guess and the QA-100 too (especially for analog input its way to supreme, there is nothing better for ~400 USD), end of month or next month.

In far future i may still have to check if if there is a way in order to build some multichannel system custom from the bones. But thats nothing that can be done as a short and quick solution and i guess it wont be possible cheaper than 1000 USD. That stuff is that freaky, even Google got issues... me too, there is probably 100 manufacturer but they usualy fail to make easy explanation, thats why the mainstream junk is at such a high demand and of course the stupidity from customers such as me (buying Onkyo for example).

Let me think i do need:
1. Preamp, sound modulation for example i want more bass. Is gonna tell the Amp what to change. Now... zero clue what it means, how/what/make preamp.
2. Amp (i guess thats clear, modulating the analog input for analog delivery to the speakers).
3. DAC? Well a raw AMP is delivering a analog signal to the speakers, so in term its digital it will need either a DAC or ASRC circuit, something to transform sounds into analog. It should be implemented into preamp and not amp, so the amp will get a raw analog signal because amp is only handling analog, not digital. But most receivers are combined, so there is no visible separation.

But its that complicated i may ask in specialized forums, some people just enjoy to tell stuff... even without payment. ;)

Last edited:
TI is the leader in audio HVICs. HVICs in general are far superior to IPMs as they can operate at a higher carrier frequency. Modern digital amps do not use DACs in the traditional sense but rather some sort of Delta Sigma/PWM/PDM modulator. The main exception are digital tube amps that must convert to analog in order to run the signal through the tube, but those generally then drive a Delta Sigma modulator from the tube output as it's much cheaper than using a tube capable of handling the full speaker power.

Those HDMI switches are around $10-15 for the 3 port versions. You'll be best off using them only for the sources that are turned on when needed as they default to routing the first port that comes up. Then the switch, for the most part, "disappears".

For the rear channels, just get a set of cheap computer speakers and plug them into the rear out. The audio quality matters little for the rears. For that to work as intended, the sound card or onboard audio has to be able to output digital and analog at the same time, which most can.

The 2 main point you are doing seems to be:

1. Preamps nowadays arnt truly making a separated D/A conversion anymore (traditionally) instead they are doing a "on the fly" modulation of the digital into analog sound which is basically with higher integrity than the traditional D/A methods or something like that. Nonetheless, there is different methods and the question is if there is methods with better quality or whats the advantage/disadvantage and what method is a ASRC circuit using in a more precise manner.

2. Sorround: Well i think it may matter little for rear because its usualy just used for certain sound effects, at least for games it may be true. But there is still a center speaker and subwoofer and considering movies i had the experience that they sometimes gonna use some rear speakers pretty frequently too and quality may become important.

It's not converting to analog, but actually converting into what is often called a "bitstream", boosting the power of the bitstream, and then turning it to analog using the output filter. Basically some signal processing trickery. The entire amplifier is sometimes called a "power DAC". On that board, you first see the input circuit with a few chips to convert S/PDIF to I2S, then it goes to that square DSP chip to convert it to a pair of bitstreams, which are then sent into the HVICs to boost the voltage and current at which point the output filter cuts away the high frequency carrier leaving the speaker level analog audio.

The center speaker is not really necessary in a home environment - it can be well emulated by playing from both front speakers at once. Same goes for the subwoofer if the two front speakers are big enough. You can get some "cheap but reasonable quality" speakers for the rear. If you get speakers without a built in amplifier, take a look at Amphony for something cheap (but good) that will do the trick.

I guess i get what you mean, its not converting at all but it is turned into something "readable" by a analog device (the boxes).

Regarding the center speaker, according to KEF it seems to be the "most important" speaker in a home theater environment. The front speaker is probably second in line of importance, but i guess it only counts for movie. Music or gaming could be different but i am using it for movie too, a all in one solution. I guess because there is lot of talk and the center speaker is great for handling voices but not necessarely stereo music, stereo music and any music at all takes a good pair of front speakers. So i guess there isnt a general rule, content may make a difference too. However, If someone is only hearing music there is no need for a surround system and in that term there is not much reason even to bring it up having a center speaker, because it will only need 2 front speakers, nothing else. It simply not that easy to tell... it somewhat depends on situation and center speaker is a typical surround speaker, and according to KEF surely a important one.

Question would be if KEF is just saying it so they gonna raise awareness for center speaker sells. However, the price of front speakers is higher than the center because it need twice as much. Apart from that, either someone is gonna make a surround system with center included or stereo only. But i see not much "economical" reasons for KEF to hype the center speakers unless they consider it truly a good thing. The only issue i could think of is that KEF may have in mind that way to many people are not gonna buy a center because they have same opinion just as you "it is just not needed and unnecessary cost". Anyway, the price of a center speaker is just marginally higher than a single front speaker (about 25% higher in term of KEF), if someone is even bothering with surround... i think its somewhat stingy not to add a center.

Regarding subwoofer i guess you are correct, it is not truly needed although i may give some additional power at some rather rare explosions or drums, although i guess it can be represented in a comparable way by good front speakers. I would safely pass on the subwoofer unless i got to much cash left. :D They arnt exactly cheap either, they cost a good bunch more than a center speaker... so its not the most affordable nor important, its prestige and not much more. I guess subwoofers can give a good frequency between 15-40 Hz, which can be hard for frontspeakers, but just a few sound is actually inside that "ultra slow" range for example some organ music. Below 15 Hz i guess most humans fail to hear it and actually most speakers got higher frequencies than a human is able to hear (above 30k or something), fun.

I may build stereo speakers and a 5.1 setup but without subwoofer at some point. I already got 2 dated but still pretty good 120 W boxes from Technics. I will add a set of KEF Q300 frontspeakers soon, so i already got 4 frontspeakers and can use the old Technics boxes as a "rear speaker". The only speaker i would be missing is a center speaker and they are rather cheap, so its actually easy to make a 5.1 build, or lets say 5.0 build (0.1 is subwoofer). Sure some people may be telling me that my speakers are crap and it would be the reason for bad sound... well my answer is the same as always: Im not a audiophile, im a lover of quality... and im sure the KEF Q300 will do more than well, even better than the dated Technics. Anything above that line is "overkill" in my eyes... the stuff only a audiophile-geek will need. Im sure those boxes would almost be perfect when combined with the QA-100 for stereo use.

Last edited:
I have the 606 and its going strong, however after I read about the HDMI board running hot, I built it into a cabinet and put 2 120mm case fans behind it, that pull air through the box, it runs cold and loud. And has never had an issue either.

Yes Onkyo could have done better, but any OC'er worth his salt should know what to do about heat!

Oh, im not a OCer, im just an erratic hazard so i dont know what to do about heat and have the demand for good receivers that dont blow up without modifications.

On top of that, once the NR609 goes boom (because most people are not OCer) and out of warranty it usually will cost several hundred of USD in order to repair that thing, but you say it is "only" a HDMI board. The joke is, the build is that cheap that the parts are not separated in the best way possible, but instead merged on a few PCBs, so it will always create a high issue for repair. Bottom line... repair is not a economical solution and we create a huge amount of waste just because "we want it cheap". But my problem is, i just dont know a good alternate surround-solution, its very hard to get real quality at a affordable price nowadays. Yes it is possible to build "affordable quality" but its rarely done, just not the way how the industry is working. It is either a trash-Rippoff or a quality-Rippoff. Does Onkyo care? I am not sure... as long they are making profit doing so. The very best that can happen: 1. Device will die after 2.5 years. 2. Customer is gonna repair for several hundred USD. 3. it dies another time after 2 years. 4. Thrown into the environment because there is a better device available and repair to pricy at that point (correct recycling is rarely done). 5. Lot of profitable smile... and the customer is getting another device.
Worst of all, a lot of people gonna tell me: Whats the issue? Its just the way how it works!

About the receiver, well it wont change, i need stereo + endurance for music but surround is useful too for movies and games, so i may get both at once at some point. Doesnt really matter anymore, total price of all boxes is around 2k USD, so both receiver at once is bit more than half that price. But it will take me half a year to get them all, so simply working slowly into it. ;) Well the next half year they wont run away, thats certain. Boxes arnt stuff that is frequently changed and maybe a price cut in term there is new series out.

Lets check alternate offers for surround matters: (have to check it all myself because no one doing it/able to tell a good solution).

Basically in most terms there is the gape between music-stereo and surround-theater movie/game mode. Close to nothing can combine both at once. In that term may have to use 2 dedicated systems with dedicated stereo boxes, because combo nearly impossible. About SPDIF (Toslink): It is only good at stereo mode because to less bandwidth for lossless multichannel support. I would recommend for stereo use so there is no need for HDMI link (that stuff is always outdated way to quick).

Adcom:
Receiver: GFR-700H, no 4K support and 3k USD is hard cookie without knowing all the hardware infos.
Preamp/DAC: To less accurate infos
Amp: To less accurate infos
Conclusion: Failed. I enjoy when the manufacturers are trying to explain as much as possible on theyr site, so the customer know what to expect. In term its hidden they obviously want to put themself "out of comparable condition", no good thing. I cant be bothered spying them out and stuff (im not making money out of it), i need to know the thing i place my bid on. Of course, price may be subject to change, simply asking price.

Rotel: (investigating)
Receiver: RSX 1562 [3.2k USD]
Preamp/DAC: RDD-1580 [920 USD] Preamp no 4k support
Amp: RMB-1555 (5 channel) [2k USD]
Conclusion: DAC + Amp may be suitable at a high price range of 3k USD. Need further investigation.

Classe (Classeaudio):

Receiver: No option
Preamp/DAC: No 4k support
Amp: Sigma AMP5 (5 channel) [5k USD ???]
Conclusion: Aged preamps and high price, not very popular, looks like it failed

Parasound:
Receiver: No option (such manufacturers arnt building that kind of stuff).
Preamp/DAC: Analog only (may require foreign DAC).
Amp: Parasound Halo A51 [~6k USD]
Conclusion: Stuff for true audiophiles, pretty overpowered, not for raw quality lovers looking for fair priced stuff. Failed.

McIntosh

Receiver: No option
Preamp/DAC: No option
Amp: Stereo only
Conclusion: Failed. McIntosh is problematic for anyone looking for easy/affordable solutions. because it requires Preamp/DAC and then hooking up 2-3 stereo Amps at once, its true audiophile stuff and extremely expensive. Or simply use a single unit but it simply means 2 dedicated systems needed, combo impossible.

Audio Research
Receiver: Not a matter
Preamp/DAC: Not a matter
Amp: Stereo only it seems
Conclusion: Comparable to McIntosh, more or less same issues. Stereo-audiophile stuff, not the stuff someone needs for a "all in one solution at affordable prices".

Emotiva (investigating)
Receiver: Weak and outdated, no 4k support
Preamp/DAC: XMC-1 [2k USD]
Amp: XPA-5 (5 channel) [1.6k USD]
Conclusion: Generally, for a price of 3.6k USD may work good but quality of parts are just a bit above "mainstream", not the highest.

NAD
Receiver: NAD T787, no 4k support
Preamp/DAC: 7.1 AV-Prozessor-Vorverstärker T 187
Amp: 7-Kanal-Endverstärker T 977
Conclusion: (not sure yet)

Krell
Receiver: Foundation Surround Processor [~a lot of USD]
Preamp/DAC:
Amp: Chorus 5200 (5 channel) [~a lot of USD]
Conclusion: For those who "have a lot". Failed

Theta
Receiver:
Preamp/DAC:
Amp:
Conclusion:

Outlaw

Receiver:
Preamp/DAC:
Amp:
Conclusion:

Pass Labs
Receiver:
Preamp/DAC:
Amp:
Conclusion:

Final decision:
For the speakers its clear now, 5.0 spec@ front 4xKEF Q300, center 1x ELAC CC241 one of the best technologys combined in one spot. Receiver im gonna use the Pioneer SC-LX56-S (got it for 800 USD new with full warranty), i may look out for somethig better in 3-5 years, as soon as a true quality manufacturer got a HDMI 2.0 inside. Matter solved for now.
I pass on subwoofers, its for "boom boom" lovers, all im gonna need is outstanding front and center setup, those speakers got enough of OOMPH, "boom boom" too, that i am sure, enough for my needs.

Last edited:
Nice bro!

Btw. Guess i take the OCer hint from "Elviscerator" as granted in order to make a cooling solution, but i wont put the Receiver into a case, not needed. I add cooler at the top inside a frame and that way the center is truly "centered" too. Hope the new Receiver will stay "cool" that way and not go boom... (speaker only duty).
30uy98w.jpg

A lot of the "audiophile" brands are pushing outdated technology. In other words, any good amplifier or receiver nowadays will natively accept digital. A possible exception might be tube amps, but their value is in the "tube sound" effect, not quality as such. You probably don't want a tube amp since the tubes have a rather limited lifetime.

The Pioneer you chose uses what appear to be surface mount MOSFETs or HVICs, as is to be expected at that price level. There seems to be a lot of processing on the digital board, which might be a bad thing for latency. (The built in scaler isn't really needed when every modern GPU has a far superior one built in.) It does have a game mode, which would hopefully keep latency down to an undetectable level.

Its to soon in order to get a good high end receiver, HDMI 2.0 technology is the main culprit which has produced a huge chaos the past years with a lot of incompatible specs. So for now i think the Pioneer offer is fair and may make me happy a lot of years. Not the best but a fine powered Receiver with average quality ( caps looks like higher quality compared to Onkyo junk) i guess. Yes i dont need a scaler, totaly useless function, but most receivers are forcing me to use it. All i need is a receiver passing a 1080P up to 4k signal passthrough and using audio signal only for processing. But any HDMI below 2.0 wont even be able to pass a 4k 60P signal through... the mighty HDMI company truly created huge confusions. 1.4b is 24P only so it can be used for movies but not gaming.

I dont need 4k now (its just a bonus to have some support at least), i will change TV to 4k in about 4 years (i give a TV a active lifetime of ~5 years, current TV is ~1 year old)... hopefully the general picture quality will be better at that time, and affordable true OLED (or another technology better than LCD) around. Until that moment, nothing can beat my plasma... unless someone got own dreams but not my dreams. The only LCD i got is a small PC screen (browsing-use mainly) but i would have to cry using them regulary as a main screen.

appear to be surface mount MOSFETs or HVICs, as is to be expected at that price level. There seems to be a lot of processing on the digital board, which might be a bad thing for latency.
I dunno about MOSFETs and HVIC, you may tell me more.

Processing, well it seems a lot... but at least it got 2x Aureus DSPs and they are not that bad, i bet there is many stuff worse than that.

Last edited:
Back