• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am not sure on this one. I went through quite a few trying to find a good one. I think this was one that was doa, which most seemed to be, when I was buying them.

Guessing you've inspected the board for physical damage (bad caps ect.) perhaps a bios recovery or hot flash might get that board up and running.

The proper Clear CMOS recovery. Not to be confused with a Normal CMOS Clear.

You can not use a USB keyboard for this procedure. You must use a PS2 keyboard.

You will need your manual to find the jumpers that must be changed.

If you skip or miss any step you must start again since the results will not be valid.
------
Remove power from the rig by pulling the plug or switching the PSU off.

Move the PC Speaker jumper to the ON position.

Remove the Battery.

Move the CMOS jumper to CLEAR.

Press the Start Button on the case or motherboard to drain the capacitors.

You may leave the board in this condition for as long as it takes to clear the CMOS. If a short 30 second clear or a 15 minute clear doesn't work, try an 8 hour clear.

Plug in a PS2 Keyboard.

Put one stick of RAM in the slot marked DIMM2.

Move the CMOS jumper to Normal.

Replace the Battery.

Press and hold the Insert Key on the Keyboard.

Apply power to the rig by plugging the power in or using the switch on the PSU.

Press the Start Button to power the rig up.

When you hear the BEEP, release the Insert Key and press the Delete Key on the Keyboard.

Once you enter the BIOS set the DATE and TIME then Load Optimized Defaults.

Save and Exit.

Enter the BIOS again and set it up the way you want for your particular rig.

It has been sitting for a long time. I will have to get a cpu to try it again. I sold all of my old stuff to funsoul.

The carnage is underway with some good times already posted up in the comp.
Of course the best is yet to come so keep an eye out, you never know what will happen. I'm hoping one or more of you will be able to join in the fun.

ThE_MaD_ShOt, I used to work at a Chevy dealer, detailing cars when I was 16, those SS Monte Carlos we so cool when they were around.

They are cool rides Mandrake4565, the ol g-bodies.

is that a grand national?:confused:

Nah it's an 85' Monte Carlo SS tungureanu.

Also I am building a 11.5:1 406 roller motor for it over the winter. Also probably going to put a ford 9" in it because I really don't think the GN 8.5 rear is going to hold up especially to a 250 shot.

xsuperbgx or anyone interested, I have a complete running s939 setup if your interested. Asus A8n sli premium with 2x 8800 GTX's in sli with a 4400 x2 and 3 gb of memory. All housed in a old school Koolance w/c case. Pm if interested.

Last edited:
It's a shame my FIC PA-2013 and FIC VA-504a boards are dead or I would jump all over that 550.

I even have 4 or 5 versions of the VIA drivers and K6 Patches for Q2 on a CD, and an image of Win98 (sans drivers) that ya just restore, then boot up and install the drivers and you're done.

Well, the retro AMD rig I wanted to get is pretty dead. It showed no signs of life at all, so it's now going to the county's computer boneyard.

It's probably got bad wet-electrolytic caps. There's a chance that it will be fine if you recap it.

Back