• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How to use an Optimum WiFi hot spot with multiple computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

10XTriplet

Disabled
I was in need of Internet conductivity at an office. My budget is a bit low, but I needed internet access. Where my office is located there is a very strong Optimum WiFi hotspot signal. I could simply use my desktop and get a USB wifi dongle and connect, but I needed more.

So this is where my project began..

task: Use a Wifi router to connect to the Optimum hot-spot, and repeat that signal inside my office, while giving out 192.x.x.x IP addresses to the rest of my computers..

I'm going to assume you have the technical ability to flash your router to run dd-wrt.

Parts needed:

1. Supported dd-wrt router: list here.. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
I used the WRT54G version 2, its what I have at the moment.
2. flip the device over and copy down the MAC address. it will be 12 characters long. Be sure NOT to grab the serial number (S/N)

3. Log into your Optonline account and go to the top "My profile" > "My Wireless devices". Click on the top right "Enable new device"
A: enter in the MAC address you wrote down earlier, click continue, it will then ask you to enter it again, just to confirm.
B: Choose "Laptop" as device type.
C: Enter the name of the device as "My device" DO NOT LABEL IT , "Linksys router" for obvious reasons... LMAO!
D: Enter in your e-mail address, check off terms of use. Done!

I'm going to assume your device is already flashed (DD-WRT v24) and ready to go.. here we go.

1. Go to the tab "setup" then sub-tab "Basic Setup"
A: Connection type : Automatic Configuration - DHCP
B: STP: Enable
C: Router name: repeater
D: Host name: repeater
C: Network setup: can be the normal: 192.168.x.1 or 172.16.x.1 or 10.x.x.1
Click save, then apply

2. Go to the tab "security" sub-tab firewall
A: SPI firewall: disable
B: everything should not have anything checked
Click save, then apply

3. go to the tab "Status" sub-tab "Wireless"
A: click "site survey"
B: click on the "Join" of the "optimumwifi" device closest to you. (the negative number will be lower. -90 is far away, -50 is close)
Click save, then apply

4: Go to the tab "wireless" sub-tab "Basic Settings"
A: Wireless mode: Repeater
B: Wireless Network Mode: Mixed
C: Wireless Network Name (SSID) : should be populated from step 3
D: Wireless channel: Auto
E: Wiresless SSID Broadcast: Enable
Click save, then apply

5. Stay on current tab and sub-tab
A: Under "Virtual Interfaces" click "Add"
B: Wireless Network Name (SSID): Enter anything you wish or enter in "MY REPEATER"
C: Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable
D: AP Isolation: Disable
E: Network Configuration: Bridged
Click save, then apply

6. Go to the tab "Wireless" sub-tab "Wireless Security"
A: Physical Interface wl0 SSID [optimumwifi]: Disable
B: Physical Interface wl0.1 SSID [repeater]: WPA2 Personal
C: WPA Algorithms: TKIP
D: WPA Shared Key: (Enter in your shared key that you would like to use, not easy to guess)
Click save, then apply

Done!

I connected a Yagi antenna to it and pointed it in the direction of the signal.

This works well in the car too.. Mobile hot spot... ;) You don't have to register all devices, just one, and the kids connect to the device in the car...

great Job

it worked
amazing , i chould not believe how it works and i connected like 5 devices to my router and they all worked.
thank you
i appreciate your work

I followed all instructions and still not able to connect. I am using a buffalo airstation with preinstalled ddwrt 24sp2 and trying to connect to optimum. Please advise if you can

I have the netgear WNR3500 with built-in DD-WRT technology. Got it to connect a few times but having difficulty

I used to use DD-WRT with an AT&T hotspot, worked OK but the Hotspots usually have a limit on connected devices 10-15 Max.

I started working for a government agency and was introduced to cellular enterprise routers, Tried several brands and found Digi Transports the most flexible units.

Also over the years have switched from AT&T to T-Mobile as T-Mobile speeds blow AT&T out of the competition! - They are both served off same Tower at my location

Digi Transports can be expensive new, but if you know which models are good e-bay has used ones at a good deal! - Just be sure to research which modem card the unit has in it!
In North America the recommended modem cards are L5 (MC7354), M8 (MC7455), or M5 (Telit LE910-V2)<-- the M5 is a newer one so less likely to find on e-Bay used at a good price.

I recommend these Digi Transport models, WR21, WR31, and WR44v2 as they have the most flexibility...

Thanks for the great info! IT worked like a charm for my windows Laptop. I can connect without any issues. The trouble I am having is with my iOS devices. I have an iPhone 5s and 8+. I keep getting one of two errors: 1. Password incorrect (i know its not, because I have tried several times...and I was successful on the Laptop) and 2. Unable to connect to Network. Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this issue? I even tried with absolutely no security at all, and same deal. Windows Laptop connects fine...two iPhones not so much. Thanks for any help any of you may be able to give me.

Has anyone been successful in using OptimumWifi with a travel router (bridiging the wifi connection)? I have a TP Travel Router...I have added the MAC address as the configured devices, but the TP Link never seems to get a Dynamic IP assigned. Just wondering if Optimum is now detecting such devices or if there is an issue with my settings and/or hardware itself.

Back