• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 4930k Wont OC past 4.1ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nineteensc2

Registered
Hey guys, my 4930k wont oc past 4.1 ghz. I'm using a gigabyte x79 ud3 revision 1.1 motherboard flashed to the latest bios and h110 watercooling.

I'm perfectly stable at 1.275v @ 4.1ghz. Soon as I hit 4.2ghz I cannot get stable. Is this because I have a bad chip?

Using prime95 small ftt tests. If I bump it up to 4.2 prime95 restarts my computer (no bsod) within 2-3 seconds.

Also, my settings in bios for turbo power limit/core current limit are as follows:

Turbo power limit: 130w
Core current limit: 164 amps

Should I increase these values?

Needed to adjust CPU LLC. I set it to extreme (for gigabyte motherboards) and 4.2 is prime95 stable now.

Open CPUz and HWMonitor while Prime95 has been running for ~20 minutes and post a screenshot of those windows :)

Just curious to see temps to get an idea of what headroom you have right now.

I am at 4.6 with my 4930k using a 46 multiplier, 1.325 core voltage and 1.2 uncore voltage. My system is very stable and my max temps are just under 80c using a Corsair H105 system. I am using a Asus Sabertooth X79 mb. I am going to attempt to go further with a upcoming build using nitrogen pots, different case and a Asus Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition mb. In my opinion, it may be a better bet to focus more on leveraging high frame rates through better GPU's than trying to achieve higher frequencies out of these new six core processors that frankly are not that suitable for over clocking.

Last edited:
4.8 is about the tops of what we are seeing with these cpu's with all 8 threads. so more gpu is the idea, or shop cpus, but 200 mgz will not do that much.

I agree with you - CPU money could of been better spent

4.8 is about the tops of what we are seeing with these cpu's with all 8 threads. so more gpu is the idea, or shop cpus, but 200 mgz will not do that much.

I am not going to knock the 4930k. In fact, I ordered a second one for my next build. However the 4930k is more suitable for a work station platform than a gamers platform. At this point in time, those who are looking to purchase a new processor for gaming, would do well to utilize a Core i7-4770K LGA 1150. In test results, the minimal performance gain of the 4960X extreme edition verses the 4770k does not justify the cost difference. That said, the same goes for the cost differences versus performance between the 4960X and 4930K. Sadly, Xeons' costing less money than these new Ivy Bridge offerings from Intel, are out performing them in workstation applications. I am not unhappy that I can't push my 4930k past 4.8 because I really love being able to install 64gb's of insanely fast RAM on my LGA 2011 mb. Though that much ram does not help much, if any with frame rates, my video rendering, cad and engineering programs love it. Finally, for those gamers who can afford it, just think of what you could do with four Nvidia Titans totaling 48GB of GPU Ram installed on a X79 based 2011 mb. Before the end of the week, my new build will have three of them. I cannot wait to see what king of 3d Mark benchmark scores they may turn up. Stay tuned.

Back