• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

?'s on this cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slowmike

my local cable provider only has a dynamically assigned IP, so how can i network a few comps? a router, one comp always on with 2 nics going to a hub or switch? If i have to buy a modem which one of these are good-

Arris/Notel DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# CM100
Ericsson DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# PipeRider
Linksys Universal Serial Bus Adapter, Part# USB10T
Motorola DOCSIS Three-Way Modem, Part# SB3100D
Motorola DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# SB2100
Motorola DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# SB3100
Motorola DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# SB4100
Motorola DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# DM100
RCA Thompson DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# DCM205
RCA Thompson DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# DCM215
RCA Thompson DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# DCM225
RCA Thompson DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# DCM235
RCA Thompson DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# DCM245
SOHO Universal Serial Bus Adapter, Part# NUB10
Scientific Atlanta DOCSIS Two-Way Modem Part# DPX110
Terayon DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# TeraJet110
Terayon DOCSIS Two-Way Modem, Part# TeraJet210
Toshiba Part# PCX1100U
ZYXEL DOCSIS Two-Way Modem Part# 944

if you get a rotuter, you can plug the modem into the router, and the computers into the router. i share my DSL this way, and i've used it with a cable modem too. I use the linksys, but any cable/dsl router with switch should be OK.

Motorola is a good unit. Routers have hardware firewalls, but won't stop a half-way intelligent hacker. Make sure you use a software firewall like Zone Alarm which allows controls on inbound and outbound communication. If you have WinXP do not use its firewall, any outbound com is a yes to all coms from that IP address. If you accidently allow your computer to act as a server to the wrong person they will always be allowed this right and you will be unaware of it. Last but not least, no hubs only switches.

I have the toshiba modem with a D-Link router. I have had no problems with the equipment. The router was easy to configure, and it comes with a 4 port onboard switch. If you have more than 4 computers, you can attach a switch or hub to one of the router ports.
By the way: I am not sure what sniper's reasons for no hubs are, but a switch doesn't provide any security. A hub can do you fine if it is 8 ports or less under light duty. If you plan on major file sharing or have more than 8 computers, go for a switch. For regular internet use and basic file sharing usage, a cheap hub will be sufficient.

Hubs offer no security, all data is sent to every connection on the LAN and does nothing to prevent data packet collision. Switches send data only to the computer for which it's meant. Moreover, hubs share bandwidth whereas switches offer time division multiplexing at full bandwidth. This is assuming of course that the USB connection on the modem is being properly used.... as a repository for old chewing gum: ethernet rules

I agree with you sniper. But i doubt that slowmike has security problems in his home LAN. I doubt that his little brother(whoever) will be monitering every packet to find out what mike is doing. I agree that switches are faster but, the on an 8 port hub (the larges i suggested) would share 100Mbps with every port: 12.5Mbps per port. Yet the cable modem's ethernet port is only a 10Mbps port. So unless mike is transfering files between computers on his LAN, he doesn't need a switch(Like i said:eh?: ). And a 8 or 5 port hub is about $20 less than a comparable sized switch.:eh?:

using a hub to connect multiple pc's to the net will result in each PC having to be assigned an aditional IP by the ISP.....with a router....all the PC's will be translated to one IP...no matter how many pc's are connected to it...much cheaper then paying extra for additional IP addy's...and the security issues are relevant on a cable connection...being it's always on, best bet would be a router....solves every problem/concern....

Motorola 4200 modem is a 10/100Tbase system with a max up at 10Mbps and down at 38Mbps. I highly recommend a router for more reasons, one this thread doesn't allow, the second is that cable companies own rights to just so many IP addresses and sometime limit you to one or charge for more, thirdly cable systems are really neighborhood LANs i.e. security nightmares. I got a Compaq ipac switch for 9 bucks for buying WinXP, but switches and hubs at Best Buy were about the same price but I gotta admit I haven't had visit that dept. in awhile.

Back