• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building 1st custom PC, help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xBad_NightmareZ

Registered
Hey guys,
I am working on building my first gaming PC, below are the specs I am thinking about getting and just want some opinions, I am not a tournament player at this time but I AM competitive!! Would this work for what I want to do. And does everything look compatible? Did some research and from what I read this looks to be okay. Please help it's much appreciate

-Logisys 480W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply

-Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)

-Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

-Gigabyte AM3+ AMD DDR3 1333 760G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard GA-78LMT-USB3

-Kingston ValueRAM 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3 (PC3-12800) Non-ECC CL11 DIMM Motherboard Memory (KVR16N11/8)

-AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition

-EVGA GeForce GT 740 4GB GDDR5 Dual DVI mHDMI Graphics Cards 04G-P4-3748-KR

-Rosewill RANGER-M Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case with USB 2.0 - Black

The PSU is total garbage for starters. The GT 740 series cards are pretty low end. I guess a lot depends on what games and at what settings you want to be able to play them at.

Ok thanks for the input, any recomendations on PSU and graphics card? I wanna play cames like, DayZ, Arma3, CS GO, and other popular Steam MMO games.

johnnyguru.com does a ton of PSU reviews and is a good resource for finding a quality unit. Personally, I usually buy Corsair, EVGA, or Seasonic PSU's. If you like NVIDIA based cards, a good upper mid-range option is a GTX 760 or GTX 770. On the AMD side, the R9 280X is another good upper mid-range option.

That CPU/motherboard combo are literally asking for a fire.
My bare minimum board for the 8350 would be the GA-970A-UD3P

-Logisys 480W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply

OH GOD, someone pull up the review of the Logisys power supply on this site?

Your choices are a little sideways.

An FX-8350 (highest end non-insane AMD processor)

and a GTX 740 (low end nVidia card)

Really you should shoot for mid end CPU and mid end GPU

Like a AMD FX 6300 (If I recall the model number correctly) and a GTX 760 or 770.

Much more even that way.

and yeah, Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic are the best PSU makers, followed by the mid, hit-or-miss PSU makers, Cooler Master, Thermaltake... others.

OK, like I said I am building my FIRST pc! But thanks for all the tips and help. how would this set up work?

-Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

-MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

-G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory

-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

-Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card

-Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case

-Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

-Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer

i would look at getting an ssd for your operating system, alot of them are pretty cheap now and would only add about $100 onto the cost, with the z87 chipset ide also go for the i5 4670k for better overclocking if you want to do that, last thing is cooling, ide get something other than the stock cpu cooler (doesnt have to be watercooling if you dont want it)

For gaming, you're going overkill on that ram. 2133 memory gives you absolutely no visible benefit in gaming over 1600 (measured in the fraction of % range).

If you have a 1080p monitor (Which you should if you're "competitive), a 290 is also probably a little bit overkill. A 280x will save you a few bucks and keep you over 60fps on all games out right now (on ultra with MSAA), and probably for a while. The 290 is the better card, but is it gonna be worth the 10-15fps you wont actually be able to see?

Oh boy...

1. Are you overclocking? If so, not far with that cpu as it's multi is locked. You need a "k" series chip.
2. There are some gains to be had with using 2133 over 1600. It is a couple percent in some cases... Not fractions of a percent. I would not go over 2133 though that is for sure.
Google 'haswell memory scaling' and look at the article from anandtech. It's not much, but in several cases it's a percent or couple.. not 'fractions of'. ;)

I also suggest an SSD.

Rosewill hive is a good choice.

Oh boy...

1. Are you overclocking? If so, not far with that cpu as it's multi is locked. You need a "k" series chip.
2. There are some gains to be had with using 2133 over 1600. It is a couple percent in some cases... Not fractions of a percent. I would not go over 2133 though that is for sure.
Google 'haswell memory scaling' and look at the article from anandtech. It's not much, but in several cases it's a percent or couple.. not 'fractions of'. ;)

I also suggest an SSD.

Rosewill hive is a good choice.

I chose my words carefully. "For gaming", not "obscure carte blanche computational analysis". 2133 is certainly "better", but for gaming is in no way shape or form any kind of necessary.

I'll even be generous with 5% (NO WAY :shock:) "system performance boost" for gaming -> we're looking at top end systems running BF4 at what, 60-70fps on ultra? 5% gains would change that range to 63-73 lol.

Linus did a review of ram (on a haswell system to boot) from 800-3000mhz, and on all games he never saw even a full single frame per second gained over a wide variety of games.

But... thats all moot anyway. I took a gander at prices on those things, and they are just too close to matter, so carry on...

Last edited:
OH GOD, someone pull up the review of the Logisys power supply on this site?

Your choices are a little sideways.

An FX-8350 (highest end non-insane AMD processor)

and a GTX 740 (low end nVidia card)

Really you should shoot for mid end CPU and mid end GPU

Like a AMD FX 6300 (If I recall the model number correctly) and a GTX 760 or 770.

Much more even that way.

and yeah, Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic are the best PSU makers, followed by the mid, hit-or-miss PSU makers, Cooler Master, Thermaltake... others.

Well, here is bobnova's review of a Logisys psu, http://www.overclockers.com/logisys-ps480x2-review

But check out the psu sticky for a psu, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Please give us your maximum budget, and what that budget includes (Operating system monitor keyboard mouse etc)
Also what will this PC be used for (video production, photoshop, gaming, etc). I know you said gaming already but anything else you want you should mention.

I have a budget right now of between $800-$900 roughly but can be lenient! I already have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. With the second list of specs I listed, would it work with just a couple parts swapped out? Thanks everyone for the help

A $1000 budget including Windows 8.1 would be a sweet spot IMO.

I would you suggest this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/vdNv6h

$<1000 with windows. You get the best gaming CPU and a very respectable GPU.
If you absolutely must have an SSD (not a bad idea) swap the CPU to an AMD FX 6300 and the mobo to a Gigabyte 970AUD3P.
Good cheap SSDs include Crucial's M500 and MX100. A 120GB drive will run you about $80--the money you saved by going to the six core AMD.

Honestly, I'd build with the Intel and add an SSD later when you can spare 80 bucks.

Last edited:
A $1000 budget including Windows 8.1 would be a sweet spot IMO.

I would you suggest this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/vdNv6h

$<1000 with windows. You get the best gaming CPU and a very respectable GPU.
If you absolutely must have an SSD (not a bad idea) swap the CPU to an AMD FX 6300 and the mobo to a Gigabyte 970AUD3P.
Good cheap SSDs include Crucial's M500 and MX100. A 120GB drive will run you about $80--the money you saved by going to the six core AMD.

Honestly, I'd build with the Intel and add an SSD later when you can spare 80 bucks.

Is Windows 8 necessary? I like 7 better really. And also, you think I should just change up the build completely, instead of any of the things from my second list? Like I said, first time building so bare with me :p I really do appreciate all your help!!!

How does this setup look? just changed out a few parts from the last list I posted!!

-Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor

-MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

-PowerColor TurboDuo AXR9 280X 3GBD5-T2DHE/OC Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

-Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case

-Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

-SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-224DB/BEBE - OEM

If you're going with a Devil's Canyon CPU, might as well get a Z97 chipset motherboard.

Back