• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solve my problem - Video playback issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

Here is my PC spec.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jonathantrillo/saved/mbTMnQ

Problem: Netflix / hulu and youtube videos are laggy / jumpy / appear to have low framerate.

I figured it was an issue with a apu so I bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130815

After installing, I have exactly the same issue.

Needless to say after spending $40 on something that didn't make a bit of difference I'm pissed! :bang head

I have reformatted my PC to try and solve this problem with no luck.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd check your drivers and maybe also check that your cpu isn't overheating and being throttled.

I'd check your drivers and maybe also check that your cpu isn't overheating and being throttled.

CPU is not overheating... in fact it's OC'ed and doing well. Had the same problem before and after.

Tried different browsers?

What about videos played locally through VLC or XBMC?

Tried different browsers too.

Videos played in media players seem to be fine. Even played a bluray and that was fine.

Also, this does seems to be a HD issue, lower res stuff seems to be fine.

Could it have something to do with poor buffering? Any other ideas? I'm desperate now.

Well I have an easy solution. Call your isp.

Most of the big name isp's throttle down Internet speeds on hulu, netflix, and YouTube. If you're having HD issues but low Def plays fine, I'd wager that's your problem.

do you have a spinning disk hard drive too or just the SSD? is the garbage/trim feature on for the ssd? how long have you had this system, especially the ssd?

Well I have an easy solution. Call your isp.

Most of the big name isp's throttle down Internet speeds on hulu, netflix, and YouTube. If you're having HD issues but low Def plays fine, I'd wager that's your problem.

Other PC's, the PS3 and the blu ray player are not having the same issue though. Unless ISP's can target specific computers inside your home that's not the issue.

do you have a spinning disk hard drive too or just the SSD? is the garbage/trim feature on for the ssd? how long have you had this system, especially the ssd?

The system is only a few months old, it has a SSD which is as new as the entire system. I have no idea what garbage/trim is.

When you open the videos, I would like you to check your ram usage. Just ctrl alt del and goto system performance tab. edit: check your cpu usage while you're there. Report back findings

Last edited:
Both are at around 50%. Thanks!

Thats still pretty high. Im wondering if you're having a memory leak somewhere. That would cause your problems pretty quick. Have you updated silverlight to its latest?

Do these problems start out ok, but get worse and worse and you have to close your browser?

Thats still pretty high. Im wondering if you're having a memory leak somewhere. That would cause your problems pretty quick. Have you updated silverlight to its latest?

Do these problems start out ok, but get worse and worse and you have to close your browser?

Problems seem to be pretty consistent. Never had to close the browser.

I installed silverlight when reinstalled windows so I assume it's up to day.

What is and how could I check for a memory leak?

Well, if it's constant at 50%, then that's not the problem. Do other sites (youtube?) Give you these same problems?

Try booting into a Linux (ubuntu) live cd/USB and see if it happens there?

Well, if it's constant at 50%, then that's not the problem. Do other sites (youtube?) Give you these same problems?

It does happen on youtube but not as much, same goes for netflix. It's really noticeable on Hulu, but it seems to happens with any streaming service to some extent.

Try booting into a Linux (ubuntu) live cd/USB and see if it happens there?

I do have a copy, I'm presuming doing this will show whether it's a win 7 issue or a hardware issue? I will give this a shot when I get chance... but ultimately I don't want to run Linux on the PC.

Back