• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

I have been using on board hd audio for a while. I finally decided that I should get a sound card and I did. I got Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card. Installed and update driver without any issue. It definitely boosted the audio quality, its louder and the bass is deeper. I am currently using a piece of crap speakers with subwoofer that I bought more than 5 yrs ago for about $45. I have Bose Companion 3 Series II Computer Speakers coming my way. I think the bass and treble sound quality will be much nicer.

Last edited:
I got some problem now and I am at a lost. After installed the sound card, everything was working fine. Today I try to mess around in the control panel audio tab. I highlighted Digital Audio (S/PDIF) and set it to default communication device a few others same as default communication device. After that I've lost all audio. Now I got no sound. I try to get back where it was before but it not working . I configure the speaker, shown it is working but No sound. Please help me out. Thanks you

1.jpg

2.jpg

That speaker system doesn't use S/PDIF connection from what I can tell. Isn't it just a standard 3.5mm audio cable that's plugged into the back of the computer?

Similar thing happened to me this morning. No updates from ms or creative. Speakers work fine using onboard audio. I have an old Audigy SE.

lycoyote,

Yes the speakers is a standard 3.5mm audio plug. Again, it was working before all this mess. I should have left this area alone, and try to tweak the audio in the creative control panel. Anyway, I am going to do a point restore, this should bring me back to where it was before, default settings.

I got it all configured in the Creative control panel. Take awhile to know the software. So far it turned out great. It sound pretty good with old cheap speaker/subwoofer. I can't wait for my bose companion 3 speakers coming maybe on Monday. I will update the finding.

Here is some update. Those bose speakers music sound clarity is amazingly good. The subwoofer is not as powerful as I would have thought but is good enough for it compact size. No question this bose system is sound way better than the $45 Logitech speaker subwoofer 2.1 system I had.

Ps. Oh man, after some tweaking, the deep bass sound is freaking nice. :)

Last edited:
Alright guys

I am loving it so far. BUT I want to further improve the audio system and here is my question. Hope you guys can help me understand how to do it.

My Creative sound card has Optical S/PDIF Out jack. I want to use this feature. If I get a DAC and a fiber optic cable and I am good to go?

My thought is this. Sound card Optical S/PDIF out> Fiber Optic Cable> DAC> Bose Speakers system. Is this in the right sequence?

Not much point. Get a digital amplifier or receiver and then plug the speakers into that.

^^No reason to convert just to carry an audio signal a short distance over optical only to convert it back to analog. Assuming this isn't a HTPC, purchasing a full on receiver and speakers wouldn't be reasonable (at a desk at least). Although these days I couldn't imagine gaming without some sort of surround sound...

I have no plan to buy a receive at this time, because my desk space is limited. But I want to try out the Digital Optical out, so I just order a DAC with fiber optic cable. After much researching about this. The Optical out connection should give me a better sound.

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding what you're doing here. Instead of just running analog cables, you want to use an optical cable to transmit a digital signal to a DAC, where it's then converted to analog for your Bose speakers?

How do I get digital sound to the speaker? I am confused... Give me a list of components for Digtial sound setup.

You would need to plug the speakers straight in to a digital amplifier.

Can you recommand me a good digital amp? I have no idea which one to get.

I cannot, it isn't something I've researched, as I am happy without.

I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure the investment is going to net you a noticeable difference in sound (and the amplifier is going to have a part to play in that as well). I'm also not familiar enough with the Bose system to even suggest a way to connect it to another amplifier (as I'm sure the system has it's own built in). It would literally be a complete waste of time/money.

ok guys. Base on what you guys said here. I am going to leave it, I am done with sound. :) I am still happy with what I got now.

Back