• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Symptoms of bad caps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

My Asus IPS monitor has been flickering/flashing off and on for some time, and I thought it was just some kinda bug in the nvidia drivers as it only happened on that monitor. Didn't think much of it as it didn't happen often till today.

I did a system upgrade and after finally reattaching the monitor, it was flickering/flashing every 5-10 seconds. I thought it might have been the DVI cable, so I swapped it out for a known working one. All seemed good, but only for a couple of minutes and it was back to the constant flickering/flashing. I thought the worst, but tried one more cable swap, this time with a HDMI cable using the HDMI port on the video card and monitor (DVI cable was DVI ports all the way). So far, so good. It hasn't flickered or flashed at all, though it's only been on the HDMI cable for about 45 minutes.

So to sum it up; screen flickers/flashes badly on DVI, works fine (so far) on HDMI, backlight is fine (I can tell it isn't turning off/on when the screen flashes off/on).

My thoughts right now are that something is obviously wrong with the DVI input, most likely bad caps, and if it is bad caps, it may eventually cause problems with the HDMI input as well. Thoughts?

My Asus IPS monitor has been flickering/flashing off and on for some time, and I thought it was just some kinda bug in the nvidia drivers as it only happened on that monitor. Didn't think much of it as it didn't happen often till today.

I did a system upgrade and after finally reattaching the monitor, it was flickering/flashing every 5-10 seconds. I thought it might have been the DVI cable, so I swapped it out for a known working one. All seemed good, but only for a couple of minutes and it was back to the constant flickering/flashing. I thought the worst, but tried one more cable swap, this time with a HDMI cable using the HDMI port on the video card and monitor (DVI cable was DVI ports all the way). So far, so good. It hasn't flickered or flashed at all, though it's only been on the HDMI cable for about 45 minutes.

So to sum it up; screen flickers/flashes badly on DVI, works fine (so far) on HDMI, backlight is fine (I can tell it isn't turning off/on when the screen flashes off/on).

My thoughts right now are that something is obviously wrong with the DVI input, most likely bad caps, and if it is bad caps, it may eventually cause problems with the HDMI input as well. Thoughts?

I would head over to http://badcaps.net

Then I would open the back and look for visibly bad caps and there may be bad solder.

Back