• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad+Fan Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well that always works! If they would allow me to make an account there I would as well lol

Here's testman78's answer: "The test is a measuring of the velocity of airflow passing through the fan at 5V, 7V, 9V, 12V and calculating the volumes of the flow per unit time. Also the fan is tested for minimum voltage at which starts to spin. For this I use an anemometer, a digital voltmeter with an accuracy of a tenth, a simple voltage controller and a 4-pin Y-Cable. The fan is connected through the Y-Cable and the voltage controller to 12V 3- pin connector on my PC bench. The other Y-Cable connector is connected to a digital voltmeter, which receives power through a 4-pin connector (Molex) from my PSU."

:)

That testing is the polar opposite of empircal... yikes...

Who runs 3dMark for temps and testing? Why not a stress test?

Not something I would hang my hat on personally...

Howl?

My Yate Loons don't have what I would call a 'howl'. Do you get the same type of fans or something?

Here's testman78's answer: "The test is a measuring of the velocity of airflow passing through the fan at 5V, 7V, 9V, 12V and calculating the volumes of the flow per unit time. Also the fan is tested for minimum voltage at which starts to spin. For this I use an anemometer, a digital voltmeter with an accuracy of a tenth, a simple voltage controller and a 4-pin Y-Cable. The fan is connected through the Y-Cable and the voltage controller to 12V 3- pin connector on my PC bench. The other Y-Cable connector is connected to a digital voltmeter, which receives power through a 4-pin connector (Molex) from my PSU."

:)

Interesting, I do have to wonder how accurate that actually is. I also somewhat doubt that is including impedance also. I would love to see what these do with a radiator even a single.

Howl?

My Yate Loons don't have what I would call a 'howl'. Do you get the same type of fans or something?

I still use my Fractal 140mm that came with my case, I wouldnt say they howl @ 1000RPM. Also heres a video I found that just records the amient sound from the 3000 RPM model: Youtube By the looks of it he starts @ 600RPM=20% then 1500RPM=50% and Finally 3000RPM=100% I would say up to 1500RPM the sound would be almost unnoticeable inside ones case.

If it ain't being tested similar or exactly like this, than I want non of it. lol I trust this man too much. Hope he comes back with new toys.

Martinsliquidlab

Looks like the nemesis did well as did the rest. I really don't see so much of a difference to be honest. All within range of error. They are slightly thicker than a SR rad, I believe 5mm thicker, higher FPI and have a nice coating to it. That's all I see. Actually I am surprised the UT60 being the thickest didn't do better than the 2.

well, unless the nemesis is significally cheaper as the UT60, those numbers didn't dethrone the UT60 as best rad for your money :)

Frankly, while the Alphacools might not have the same quality paint finish as the HWlabs... if you want a radiator to look at.... then you have to go Aquacomputer AMS or Watercool HTSF :)

And if you want a radiator to stare at and facepalm at every 5 minutes.. there is the Admiral :D

well, unless the nemesis is significally cheaper as the UT60, those numbers didn't dethrone the UT60 as best rad for your money :)

Frankly, while the Alphacools might not have the same quality paint finish as the HWlabs... if you want a radiator to look at.... then you have to go Aquacomputer AMS or Watercool HTSF :)

And if you want a radiator to stare at and facepalm at every 5 minutes.. there is the Admiral :D

I will have to do something like that in my next build, my case will have issues with those. I already checked into that :(

Looks like the nemesis did well as did the rest. I really don't see so much of a difference to be honest. All within range of error. They are slightly thicker than a SR rad, I believe 5mm thicker, higher FPI and have a nice coating to it. That's all I see. Actually I am surprised the UT60 being the thickest didn't do better than the 2.

Indeed, but those single rad temps in a multi-rad setup should improve by that much. As a comparison of current prices(07/10/14) from FrozenCPU:

Black Ice Nemesis GTS 280mm = $75
Black Ice Nemesis GTX 280mm = $123
NexXxoS UT30 280mm= $73
NexXxoS Monsta 280mm = $125

Based on the review my best option would be the Nemesis GTS 280 and NexXxoS Monsta 280.

Make sure you know the difference of the GTS vs. GTX. It usually involves FPI. From the looks of it they are both 16 FPI. The GTS has less heat surface, its a thin XFlow body, than the GTX. Monsta is 80mm thick.

What case would this all go in again?

Define XLR2 im going to be modding the front panel most likely with a case labs radiator mount :D

Howl?

Yeah, the 2 JetFlo Fans on my Cooler Master Nepton 280L AIO. When I ture them up they "Howl".
Interesting info guys, I'll have to buy some better fans for this:

Attachments

• Monsta inside de case.jpg
    Monsta inside de case.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 62
I actually remeasured the space between the top panel and top of the motherboard giving me a total of 65mm of space. I think I would be pushing my luck if i decided to do with a 40mm thick radiator with fans in push correct?

oh man that is a great pic! As for howl your referring to them pushing through the radiator correct? Also what RPM are you referring?

I'm referring to my other rig, 4770K-R9 280x CrossFire - Cooler Master Nepton 280L AIO....

Attachments

• 4770K WC.jpg
    4770K WC.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 62
I see ok, and i looked for reviews just a moment ago and found that the monsta is only around 0.5C delta difference between 800-1500RPM @120mm I think I may just stick with the Nemesis..

Define XLR2 im going to be modding the front panel most likely with a case labs radiator mount :D

Doesn't the Define XL have offset mounting holes in the roof, like the ARC ?
If so, then you *might* have more as 65mm; if not, its gonna be very very tight.

I see ok, and i looked for reviews just a moment ago and found that the monsta is only around 0.5C delta difference between 800-1500RPM @120mm I think I may just stick with the Nemesis..

Ah, but if you use the MONSTA with push/pull, you get better performance with lower fan speed (noise)
The nemesis GTX will probably have higher FPI (or uses some trick to behave as higher FPI) as the MONSTA.. higher FPI = more noise... which you can lessen a bit using shrouds.

As for the reviews... as long as it isnt Martin or Skinnee or Stren putting the nemesis & monsta side-by-side.... i don't know :S

Last edited:
Doesn't the Define XL have offset mounting holes in the roof, like the ARC ?
If so, then you *might* have more as 65mm; if not, its gonna be very very tight.

Actually the mounts in the roof of the ARC XL are much better, as they can be offset and offer native 360 support. The XLR2 has native 280 and 240 support with offset spacing for the 240mm only about 15mm though. I honestly would love to get my hands on a pre-cut top to mod myself as to add an offset will look absolutely horrible.
fractal_design_define_xl_r2_34_550.jpg

Ah, but if you use the MONSTA with push/pull, you get better performance with lower fan speed (noise)
The nemesis GTX will probably have higher FPI (or uses some trick to behave as higher FPI) as the MONSTA.. higher FPI = more noise... which you can lessen a bit using shrouds.

As for the reviews... as long as it isnt Martin or Skinnee or Stren putting the nemesis & monsta side-by-side.... i don't know :S

I agree there, as for FPI the nemesis has 16 IIRC the Nexxxos have 8

Back