• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Build up & Upgrading of my Win 98 Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is awesome!

Defiantly going to try to revive that old Duron I pooched a while ago.
Think I might throw together a retro rig. Got old parts lying around anyway :p

ISA 16Bit Sound Blaster anyone? :D

I replaced an original SoundBlaster 16 ISA with the AWE 64 ;) Neat thing about that SB 16 was it had an IDE controller, and a "Speaker" plug in addition to the headphones. You could connect un-amplified stereo speakers, if you enabled the on card amplifier jumper. I also have a newer, more compact SB 16 ISA new in the box, got it for $2 at a yard sale :)

Well, after some stability issues, I decided to swap HDDs and reinstall windows. But before, I had 98, now I have 98SE. Anyway, it's much more responsive, and missing a lot of the crap from the original install. Drivers for the 440 chipset, VooDoo 5 55000, AWE 64 Gold, and 3Com 10/100 PCI all installed. Now on a semi-modern 20 GB samsung vs the old 6 or 8 gig Maxtor.

The stability issues were probably related to IE as much as anything else. :p Nice build Ben, I like what you did with that old case. :thup:

My real DOS machine is an Intel 486 DX2 66 with 8 MB of RAM. That resides in a beige "desktop" AT case (horizontal, under the monitor). But that thing is a dog. It actually can't run Doom perfectly. Blood? Yeah right, not even worth trying.

Sadly, sounds like the same boat I was in when playing good ol' Duke Nukem 3D!
Slow and jerky..... :mad:

Even though 640x480 possibly would be tolerable on a 486 DX2 66 Mhz.

On a 486 SX 25 Mhz I had, forget it! (Even 320x240 or the like was slow and jerky, IIRC)

OTOH, Titanic Adventure Out of Time runs fine on a 486 SX 25 Mhz, despite being Windows-based.
(And the graphics look real good.) (You may say that it's ahead of their time.)

Last edited:
@ Ben333 - Your missing the cutscences..live action FMV

Made this one last month. Still have 3 or 4 new cases somewhere in the garage. I acquired another identical board but it went poof during burn in phase.

7744294-004-copy.jpg

7744294-003a.jpg

7744294-486-desktop.jpg

Last edited:
@ Ben333 - Your missing the cutscences..live action FMV

Made this one last month. Still have 3 or 4 new cases somewhere in the garage. I acquired another identical board but it went poof during burn in phase.

7744294-004-copy.jpg

7744294-003a.jpg

7744294-486-desktop.jpg

Looks like it's a 486, LOL.
Not even a 586, according to CPU-Z. And Windows 98 should at least properly recognize AMD 586s, when upgraded.

Reportedly, Windows 95 reported non-Intel 586s as 486s and thus some games refused to play.

I do like the case! Makes me miss the cases at Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center. ;)

Looks like it's a 486, LOL.
Not even a 586, according to CPU-Z. And Windows 98 should at least properly recognize AMD 586s, when upgraded.

Reportedly, Windows 95 reported non-Intel 586s as 486s and thus some games refused to play.

I do like the case! Makes me miss the cases at Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center. ;)

There were two processors called "5x86" by AMD, a Pentium(ish) Class P75 and a 486 Clock-Quaded 5x86-133ADZ. Some of these 5x86 chips clock quite well at 160Mhz, I try on almost every chip I run into and have about a 75% success rate. More likely the board will pop than the CPU. Win98se does correctly Id the chip as a 486 class chip, because it is. CPUID reads the ID string.

Cyrix CPU's were often mis-ID'd as 486 cpus and many games refused to run, I remember Dark Forces refused to run on my Cyrix P166+ until I modified some setting.

Somewhere at my house, I still have this unit:

I am going to be moving in about 5 months, and I have to either store or get rid of a lot of these vintage machines. Expect a super sale for Christmas.

Last edited:
Nice box bro, but where's your second serial port? And how new's that USB card? My box has two USB ports off the header on the board... and I don't even use one of them :p

Maybe someday.

Right now... having some issues. Unreal I still runs excellent under Glide. Unreal Tournament will run just fine under Direct X. (Everything worked before...) see, I uninstalled the VooDoo 5 drivers, added a Rage 128, and the two VooDoo 2s I just got. Installed their driver, and nothing would run under Glide. Tried re-installing, no luck. So... removed the VooDoo 2 drivers, put the 5 back in, rebooted. 5 drivers back on, no Glide. Did that again, and it worked in Unreal but not UT....

May need to reinstall windows. Anyway, I think I'll toss the voodoo 2s in this box and move the 5 over to a 1 GHz Pentium III board I got going last night. Will probably build a machine around that combo.

Second serial port header is on the board, didn't include the cable in the build cause it wasn't needed. The USB card I used is an NEC based board, works fine under Win98, even came with Win98 Driver 4 external plus 1 internal. Interestingly enough the unit will not boot with a USB drive attached, BSOD's then reboots. Have to remove USB drives after use.

Wish I still had some 3dfx video cards. I might still have one 5500 in an old G3 Mac somewhere...

Heh, so Socket A Duron's don't like the FSB lower than 85Mhz. Who knew? :shrug:

Now I just need to install Win98 and some games and hope the GPU isn't too powerful lol.

@Ben333
Going to run XP or 98 on that P3?

Depends on the motherboard. ;)
I've had socket A's at less than 50Mhz.

Rats. Kinda figured that lol.

I got it down to 640Mhz, should be just powerful enough for Win98 quake doom etc, but not overly powerful.
I could always just pencil in the 5x multiplier if I have to :D

moar games please :D

how bout playing those old "rock manager" and "commandos",
sim hospital or theme park should be fun :D

Slight thread jack, but it'll be quick.

Flat black or satin or gloss?
Which finish should I paint my case?
Painting it black btw.

Heh, so Socket A Duron's don't like the FSB lower than 85Mhz. Who knew? :shrug:

Now I just need to install Win98 and some games and hope the GPU isn't too powerful lol.

@ben333
Going to run XP or 98 on that P3?

Probably both :) Having a newer OS that can read the older OS's partition is very useful. I'm hunting for Windows XP without any service packs. I used to have a corporate copy of XP pro, with NO updates. Not even SP1.

Call me crazy for running something like that, but no activation BS, and my god is it fast. Especially on older machines. I once ran it on a 90 MHz pentium, but frequently on Pentium II machines... and actually used it.

So, not sure about that P III at this point. Need to see if the issues with that is as simple as a CMOS battery, or if other strange things are going on.

I have a non MMX Pentium 200 MHz, and 128 MB of SIMMs... was kinda hoping to find the VooDoo 2s a home on that setup. Sadly, after many attempts I can not seem to get the drivers working...

Going to try windows 95 instead of windows 98, and some stress testing. Don't know if its a buggy system, or maybe a bad 98 build.

But yeah... if I find a solid slower machine, the V2s will go in that, and the 5500 will stay in the box this thread is about. AND... if I build a faster, newer box, the V2s will go in this box, and the 5500 will go in the new box. Just tryin to keep things kinda period-correct :popcorn:

Pharoh, do you have a thread, I'd like to see pics :p

Also, do you guys think it'd be worth the keystrokes to make a Win 98 life support thread? IE, updates you want, maybe updates you don't want? Latest browsers, latest media players, video plugins, stuff like that. Drivers for popular stuff, etc.

Back