• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Build up & Upgrading of my Win 98 Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Probably both :) Having a newer OS that can read the older OS's partition is very useful. I'm hunting for Windows XP without any service packs. I used to have a corporate copy of XP pro, with NO updates. Not even SP1.

Call me crazy for running something like that, but no activation BS, and my god is it fast. Especially on older machines. I once ran it on a 90 MHz pentium, but frequently on Pentium II machines... and actually used it.

So, not sure about that P III at this point. Need to see if the issues with that is as simple as a CMOS battery, or if other strange things are going on.

I have a non MMX Pentium 200 MHz, and 128 MB of SIMMs... was kinda hoping to find the VooDoo 2s a home on that setup. Sadly, after many attempts I can not seem to get the drivers working...

Going to try windows 95 instead of windows 98, and some stress testing. Don't know if its a buggy system, or maybe a bad 98 build.

But yeah... if I find a solid slower machine, the V2s will go in that, and the 5500 will stay in the box this thread is about. AND... if I build a faster, newer box, the V2s will go in this box, and the 5500 will go in the new box. Just tryin to keep things kinda period-correct :popcorn:

Pharoh, do you have a thread, I'd like to see pics :p

Also, do you guys think it'd be worth the keystrokes to make a Win 98 life support thread? IE, updates you want, maybe updates you don't want? Latest browsers, latest media players, video plugins, stuff like that. Drivers for popular stuff, etc.

95 is just DOS/Windows 3.1 with a fancy GUI really. I'd expect some issues since it's the first of the 9x line up.

I'd be down for a 98 life thread, might be able to pitch in so info and updates for 98.

As for a thread for mine, I don't have one no :-/
I might make one because I'm thinking of doing the same with my PSU like you did - just maybe not spade connectors :p

I'll post a link to it when I get around to making a thread :)

EDIT: I actually have a IE 3.0 promo CD here, comes with IE 3.0 for Windows 95, IE 2.1 for Windows 3.1 and Mac OS :shock:

Hmm, I kinda saw windows 3.1 and older as more of a GUI for DOS... And a way to run windows programs. 95 can do many things 98 can do, and it'll run on practically anything. My interest in Win 95 would only be on a Pentium 200 or slower machine.

I REALLY would like to get some NT 4 action kicking... No Direct X, but I've heard glide will run on it. Generally, I've found NT 4 much quicker / smoother, but significantly less compatible. So, what's better than NT 4? Windows 2000! That'll do so much more than 9x or NT 4, but dammit, it's too new! And if I'd be running 2000, I'd rather find a virgin copy of XP (pre SP1) and just go all out. All that said, security / performance wise I guess Win 2k SP4 with all updates trumps the bloated XP SP3.

But yeah, I think a 98 thread would be very cool. We could also touch base on Win 95, since in many instances some things would be the same.

But yeah, I forgot this was a "mod" thread... I'd better get some more pics up hehe :)

Going to swap the power supply this afternoon in hopes of fixing my stability issues. Going to run memtest and super pi if need be. I want to call one machine done & stable before messing around with another.

Hmm, I kinda saw windows 3.1 and older as more of a GUI for DOS... And a way to run windows programs. 95 can do many things 98 can do, and it'll run on practically anything. My interest in Win 95 would only be on a Pentium 200 or slower machine.

I REALLY would like to get some NT 4 action kicking... No Direct X, but I've heard glide will run on it. Generally, I've found NT 4 much quicker / smoother, but significantly less compatible. So, what's better than NT 4? Windows 2000! That'll do so much more than 9x or NT 4, but dammit, it's too new! And if I'd be running 2000, I'd rather find a virgin copy of XP (pre SP1) and just go all out. All that said, security / performance wise I guess Win 2k SP4 with all updates trumps the bloated XP SP3.

But yeah, I think a 98 thread would be very cool. We could also touch base on Win 95, since in many instances some things would be the same.

But yeah, I forgot this was a "mod" thread... I'd better get some more pics up hehe :)

Going to swap the power supply this afternoon in hopes of fixing my stability issues. Going to run memtest and super pi if need be. I want to call one machine done & stable before messing around with another.

Run Windows Neptune for some fun later on. Not really old, it's basically Alpha Windows XP. Neat OS, I use it.

So, I tried neptune. Seems like Windows 2000 with a GUI login screen... and that's it. Lol. I'll find it again and post the build #, but I think it's the latest / most common.

Got to sticking the 5500 in a more worthy machine :) Pentium III 1 GHz, 128 MB of PC133. Let me say WOW. Awesome performance! I can run UT 99 with excellent FPS at 1280x1024, and play Nintendo 64 games in emulation /w enhancements at 1024x768. The games that do run look & play great. (using a glide plugin!)

I'll probably make a thread for this box, when it comes time for modding. Was lovin the Glide performance so much I broke out an old 20" flat CRT :)

So, I tried neptune. Seems like Windows 2000 with a GUI login screen... and that's it. Lol. I'll find it again and post the build #, but I think it's the latest / most common.

Got to sticking the 5500 in a more worthy machine :) Pentium III 1 GHz, 128 MB of PC133. Let me say WOW. Awesome performance! I can run UT 99 with excellent FPS at 1280x1024, and play Nintendo 64 games in emulation /w enhancements at 1024x768. The games that do run look & play great. (using a glide plugin!)

I'll probably make a thread for this box, when it comes time for modding. Was lovin the Glide performance so much I broke out an old 20" flat CRT :)

lol Neptune is what was XP way before XP was released.

I love Neptune TBH, though it doesn't take much to corrupt the crappy NTFS partitions Neptune makes :-/
FYI, there was only 1 release of it, build #5111 ;)

I guess I'm not impressed then :-/

What's it got over 2000, or is it just sentimental value? Come to think of it, I liked a Vista beta (longhorn) that was very similar to XP... and ran equally as well as xp on my presario notebook I had at the time. (2800+ M, 512 MB)

I guess I'm not impressed then :-/

What's it got over 2000, or is it just sentimental value? Come to think of it, I liked a Vista beta (longhorn) that was very similar to XP... and ran equally as well as xp on my presario notebook I had at the time. (2800+ M, 512 MB)

I think things like disk management or something. Probably not much since it was heavily based off 2000 :p

I tried playing tie fighter in an emulator years ago. Didn't work out too well. If Hollywood can continue to make money shelling out remakes, I don't see why games like these don't get remade.

im pretty sure that xwing vs tie fighter has been remade.

Disks only :/ Before the housefire I still had all my DOS game diskettes ranging from Commander Keen, Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Quarantine, etc :p Fun times, but gone are those diskette days :p

I STILL have my diskettes with games like that on em haha.

Steam has all of those games btw ;)

Slight thread jack, but it'll be quick.

Flat black or satin or gloss?
Which finish should I paint my case?
Painting it black btw.

Wrinkle finish, texture finish, wrinkle coat, hammer finish, crinkle finish, etc - Black - just no runs

I dig it! Back a long time ago, before I even registered here I once had a Pentium 4 1.5, in a plane beige tower. Ended up giving the tower an orange paint job, a little brighter than that but not like "safety" bright.... looked pretty awesome.

I take it that box is the 2nd in your sig? The duron?

I dig it! Back a long time ago, before I even registered here I once had a Pentium 4 1.5, in a plane beige tower. Ended up giving the tower an orange paint job, a little brighter than that but not like "safety" bright.... looked pretty awesome.

I take it that box is the 2nd in your sig? The duron?

Yep :)

I've been busy lately, but I'm planning on booting it up and getting the partitions sorted out and 98, DOS+3.1 installed along side XP soon.

Back