• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium G3258 (20th Anniversary Edition) Owner's thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
Figured i would start this thread to keep track of them. If you bought one, heres what to post.

Sspec:
Batch:
Made in:
Vid:
24/7 Overclock, voltage and cooling used:
highest bench-able overclock, voltage and cooling used:

*asking for the Sspec since there is a chance it may get an update in the future.*

I will post mine, not setup yet but here is the basics.

SR1V0
3418B993
Costa Rica
Thought there was a vid listing in core temp, boots at stock [email protected]
[email protected]/Scythe Big Shruniken 2 rev B. w/NH-P12 fan installed
? dont think i will test based on current max load temps

Last edited:
Went over to Micro Center this afternoon and picked one up. :thup:

The few that I chose from were all from Costa Rica... a few different C batch and one B batch.

Mine is 3418C012

Attachments

• P1040057.JPG
    P1040057.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,810
Costa Rica are in most cases better than Malay. I'm not sure why as manufacture process supposed to be the same.

Booted up @ Stock:
1.056 VID
1.066 Cache

Set Vcore to 1.2v, Dram to 1600C9 @1.5v, Everthing else on auto (cache defaults to 32x)

And the result for my sample was 41x max boot... Uploaded a brief AIDA stress run.

I was kind of hoping for 4.4/4.5...

Attachments

• Pentium.PNG
    Pentium.PNG
    61.7 KB · Views: 3,697
Scaling...

42x with ~1.225v
43x with ~1.285v
44x with ~1.345v

MSI Marketing says I can expect 4.7! :clap:

or maybe my sample is below average... :rolleyes:

"They can automatically overclock the CPU to 4.3GHz from its original 3.2GHz through MSI's exclusive technology OC Genie 4, increasing its performance by 34%, so even a beginner will be able to overclock a computer stably to high performance through a single action without any complicated skills and configurations.

The CPU can even be easily overclocked to 4.7 GHz if a high-end air-cooling fan is used, boosting its performance as high as 45%."

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...reaches-6861-7-mhz-on-msi-motherboard.202711/

Edit: added 42x and 43x short term stress runs... Prime blend with custom memory usage on Z87 Deluxe with custom water cooling:

Attachments

• Pentium 4.2GHz Prime blend load.PNG
    Pentium 4.2GHz Prime blend load.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,673
  • Pentium 4.3GHz Prime blend load.PNG
    Pentium 4.3GHz Prime blend load.PNG
    62.6 KB · Views: 3,594
Last edited:
They're funny. Maybe their results were on some cherry picked ES ;) I actually saw better results in the web on ES than on retails.

Posting from my phone, its priming ATM at [email protected]. With the big shuriken 2 rev. B hitting 68/69 currently and the fan isn't maxed out. I plan in swapping to a thicker fan and find one that fits my needs.

After a bit of fiddling its at 1.18v for 4.28ghz priming away. Current temps are 67/64 max per core according to coretemp. Where should I stop for temps, as I would have at 60. Thought I read around 70 or 80 max but I'm mobile and heading back to work.

ok, so at that low of voltage 1.18 wasnt stable, had to go back to 1.2v. now the interesting part, maybe mobo or something in the bios needs to be changed. now as noted in the above SS's the cpu range is listed up to the set multi 42x. my is listed as 32x, even when set in bios to 42x. bios shows 42x selected for both cpu and cache, though it is listed as turbo ratio (set to control all cores, can do each core multi but not needed) :confused: there is a non-turbo section and its max multi you can choose is 31 yet the cpus stock is 32 :confused: here i have a oc'ing mobo that doesnt really oc the cpu unless i use the ocing software in windows to get the 42x multi. yet in the windows app the cpu ratio is not listed as the turbo ratio, its simply the cpu ratio. now here is a pic of me booting into windows with 42x set in bios.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/z97mocfstuckmulti_zps99319586.jpg

here is a pic after changing the mutli down to 40 then back up to 42.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/z97mocf42multi_zps7b3becc7.jpg

what bothers me is, that there is nothing in the manual or in the bios i can find that "solves" my ocing problem right now. even though this is not labled as a K cpu per the manual the cpu is unlocked so even in the non-turbo ratio section, i should be able to set to what ever multi. there is no newer bios then 1.4 that i have installed, i was worried that with the 1.3 it would not boot up. that turned out not to be the case as woomack told me in the past.

That does seem strange about what you have described with your motherboard?? At least it works with software vs. not working at all. Hopefully you can find some sort of resolution. Have you tried contacting ASRock support?

I decided to install a stock Intel cooler to see how the load temps would fare with a low level cooler...

Short term Prime blend v28.5 @ 40x/40x (multi/cache) DDR3-2400C9:

Attachments

• G3528 4.0GHz Prime blend with stock cooler.PNG
    G3528 4.0GHz Prime blend with stock cooler.PNG
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,584
well they listed forums on their site so I posted their first. since I might have to wait longer for some kind of response via email. since the SSD had an win7 install from my mobile i3 370m, I thought that was the problem. I have since reinstalled win7 did all the windows updates, installed inf/usb 3.0 drivers and gpu drivers. set my multi back in the bios to 42x reboot, double check the bios, on the main page it shows clock speed of 4.28ghz. restart again boot into windows and again, windows properties, cpuz, coretemp, sissoft Sandra and hwinfo64 show 3.26ghz or the speed since the blck is raised a bit. running the benchmark of the cpu in Sandra at what cpuz,ect was showing for 3.26ghz and cinebench r15. shows that when I get into the oc tool for the board in windows that by getting cpuz to reflect a 42x multi or 4.28ghz clock speed. I do get higher scores in cinebench r15 and sissoft Sandra. cinebench r15 from just getting into windows gives something around like 260 cpu score, then getting the multi and cpu speed to show higher in cpuz of 4.28ghz gives 314 score. Something is going on and there are no other options, either this is imo a flaw in the board or the UEFI/bios. I would hate to have to switch boards just to get my oc to work. at this point I don't know what else to do besides wait for a post on the support forum.

the fact that my max multi in cpuz shows 32x in the range section of 8-32, says there is something wrong. as it should reflect like yours from the max selected, as in if I put 42x in the bios cpuz should show 8-42 ect.

*edit*
I sent a support ticket to asrock about the board. a rather long one detailing whats going on, what confuses me is there is two sections for cpu ratio. the one that I thought was going to be used for ocing the cpu, as it allowed a near unlimited multi range. when setting that mullti above it is show "cpu turbo speed" this cpu doesn't have a turbo feature. the other cpu ratio section is labled as non-turbo, its max multi I can set is 31x :confused:. I even looked all over in the bios, I cant anything else that would fix what is going on. when the first section for the multi is put at 42x it does show after a restart and back into the bios, on the main page it shows the 4.28ghz clock speed, yet the os/cpu/coretemp say other wise. seems like a false oc atm till I can get this figured out...

*edit*
while not the M version the Asrock Z97 OC Formula doesn't appear to have the same issue I do.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...IOS-Tools***&p=5234874&viewfull=1#post5234874
as you can see his multi range isn't limited to 8-32x like mine is, what is going on... :bang head

Last edited:
*edit*
while not the M version the Asrock Z97 OC Formula doesn't appear to have the same issue I do.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...IOS-Tools***&p=5234874&viewfull=1#post5234874
as you can see his multi range isn't limited to 8-32x like mine is, what is going on... :bang head

I think it must be some kind of bug or something with the BIOS code?

The BIOS section that allows you to change the turbo multi should allow the overclock for the Pentium even though it technically doesn't have a turbo function. That is how all SB, IB, Haswell cpu(s) overclock... Via the turbo multi. However some BIOS design may mask or display it differently in BIOS.

I haven't run an ASRock board since P67/SB days but I'm expecting delivery of the Z97 OCF sometime early this week.

well this is interesting.. not sure why I choose to do this, but I used the 4.2ghz oc profile, I didn't see anything change in the oc tool section or anywhere else. that was different then what I did, I went back and lower voltages though. booted into windows and no more multi range lock plus it finally booted into windows at 4.2ghz.

Hello, I'm confused what type of RAM I should get for this. On their site it says it supports up 1333. I was about to purchase 1600 2x4 sticks but now I'm having doubt if this is overkill.

Hello, I'm confused what type of RAM I should get for this. On their site it says it supports up 1333. I was about to purchase 1600 2x4 sticks but now I'm having doubt if this is overkill.

well motherboards for overclocking have higher ratios for ram speed. even though its spec is DDR3-1333, im running DDR3-1600 right now. i would say the best of both worlds cost/speed is ddr3-1600 with the tightest timings.

Back