• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium G3258 (20th Anniversary Edition) Owner's thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some nice subs Woomack, congrats :thup:

Gigabyte have any other SOC BIOS files to try ?

1.9 on DICE is a bit abusive .... :rofl:

From these versions that I was testing only F7/beta was working fine with this Pentium. On earlier BIOSes I could change CPU ratio but in real it was always x32. Latest LN2 beta that I found is from April or something.
I also had not much dice left so there wasn't much time to try all other BIOSes.
Later I found out that XTU can raise voltage but I'm not sure if it was working as I couldn't make higher clocks at 1.85V. CPU-Z was showing ~1.85V. Maybe needs lower temps.
CPU could enter WinXP 32b at 5.75GHz but Win7 only at 5.65GHz and was less stable than in XP.
I had slightly better results in some tests but of course I didn't save it and later I couldn't make any better scores.
It's the same Pentium which needs 1.55V+ to boot at 5GHz. Scalling is really weird:
4.2GHz 1.09V
4.5GHz 1.35V
4.6GHz 1.40V
4.7GHz 1.40V
4.8GHz 1.45V
4.9GHz 1.50V
5.0GHz 1.55V+
5.2GHz ~1.65V
5.5GHz ~1.70V
5.7GHz ~1.80V

Looks like it is scaling with core, cold may take you to the promised land :)

Thinking about grabbing a z97 OCF full ATX and an i3 as it looks like great fun , but with x99 coming I am not sure if I can swing it, saving my pennies

I wish to grab something better. On Z97 there is really no big difference if you get cheaper or more expensive board ( unless you are overclocking memory ). Also good haswells are really rare no matter if DC or these older. Most are simply **** for benching.
I have no idea what will next series but for sure DDR4 will be expensive and not really fast. If Haswell-E won't overclock at least as good as IB-E then I don't know if there is any point of spending money on X99 platform. In half year there will be probably 10-12 core Xeons on auctions for half price and with 167+ bclk they can make 5GHz. That's just an idea but all depends from prices. Right now 10 cores+ cost at least $1k what is still too much.

I just picked up a G3258. Couldn't resist the $100 price at Microcenter in a combo with the MSI PC Mate Z97 board. I haven't cracked it open yet, hopefully will have the time this weekend.

I'm using this as the heart for a Steambox / emulator (dolphin and pcsx2 mostly) / HTPC, replacing a C2D. Even though the Core2 is overclocked quite a bit, it can't run many Wii games at full speed. Allegedly the C3258 at 4 to 4.2+ GHz is a beast at dolphin. Because this will be running 24/7 I don't plan to push it too far. If I can get 4.2GHz at a little over a volt I'll stop there.

I'll come back and post some updates once I get it set up.

-edit

The other thing that I'm interested to see is the GPU performance. The G3258 specs indicate it is an i5 haswell cut in half. So the video performance is a big question mark - how good is an HD 4600 with 10 execution units instead of 20? I'm interested to see if it is acceptable enough to retire the 8400 GS I've been using for a while. I obviously don't do anything really graphics intensive with this box, just some games that have been ported to linux while the Wii and PS2 stuff is far more CPU dependent because the GPU is essentially emulated. A full HD 4600 would certainly be sufficient, resulting in more power savings.

Last edited:
Here's mine putting up some Gold cups along with a MSI Z87-G55. I used to hate MSI but this came cheap with a G3258 combo at 3BTech and quite frankly it's twice the board my Z87 Extreme4 is.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2667556_optytrooper_3dmark03_intel_hd_graphics_12613_marks

http://hwbot.org/submission/2667557_optytrooper_3dmark05_intel_hd_graphics_8034_marks

http://hwbot.org/submission/2667558_optytrooper_3dmark06_intel_hd_graphics_4846_marks

It will run 2D benches at 5.2 1.5v but I need to drop it down to 5.1 for 3D except 01. More links and pics to come later today.

It should be for the overclocking you are doing to it... The ex4 is cheapo made with cheapo parts. Good for most people, but not extreme overclockers. G55 has better power bits. ;)

Not too shabby Opty. How about XTU bench? I just installed mine for the first time last night and for XTU it's nearly identical to my 4770K . At 4.8 I needed 1.55v to pass.

I was running my G3258 up to 1.75V on ss but it clearly didn't like it ;) Above 1.7V is losing stability and sometimes have to run the same tests couple of times to pass as it's randomly crashing.

I'm definitely feeling lucky with my chip. Hoping to get a 6.3 validation next time I run it. Running it with massive voltage (1.83)...prior owner ran it at 1.884 but I don't quite have the balls for that yet.

I was running my G3258 up to 1.75V on ss but it clearly didn't like it ;) Above 1.7V is losing stability and sometimes have to run the same tests couple of times to pass as it's randomly crashing.
Same here the sweet spot seems to be 1.6-1.65 for my chip.

SR1V0
3418C011
Costa Rica
Vid: will have to check
24/7 Overclock, voltage and cooling used: N/A
highest bench-able overclock, voltage and cooling used: 6099 (spi1), 1.83v, cascade, 6000 (spi32), 1.84v, cascade

Attachments

• g3258-pif-11.30.JPG
    g3258-pif-11.30.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 384
Looks pretty sweet there F_S. You made your 6.0:thup:
I think I may have found why mine was getting fussy. I noticed last night when I pulled my block off that some eraser "might " have been holding the block off of the CPU slightly. Will find out when I get it back in the saddle. Got a new toy right now so the dual core is on hold ATM

Spec: SR1V0
Batch: 3418B303
Made in: Costa Rica
Vid: 1.0941v
24/7 Overclock: 4000Mhz, 1.0941v and cooling used: Corsair H80i
Highest overclock: 4800Mhz voltage: 1.45v and cooling used: Corsair H80i

Back