• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Pentium G3258 (20th Anniversary Edition) Owner's thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Picked one of these up. Not too impressed so far. I am running it on a G1 Sniper 5. Nothing like putting a $60 CPU on a $460 mobo :)
I had no luck overclocking with the F9 BIOS, had to upgrade to the F10 in order to get the speed to show up at what I had set in the BIOS in windows.
Sspec:SR1V0
Batch: 3421B752
Made in: Costa Rica
Vid: 1.08
24/7 Overclock, voltage and cooling used: not established yet.

Into this thread a little late , lol, temp 3258 on my Asrock Z87 Extreme 4, 1.285v for 4.5, have not bothered pushing further at this time, chip is in custom loop

I have this CPU

Made in Malaysia

4.5- 1.16v
4.8 - 1.3v
4.9 - 1.39v
5ghz - cant get stable

Can anyone give me ideas as to which settings i could tweak with for 5ghz? I have tried a lot, and various voltages without luck. Has anyone done this to 5ghz? If so, can you pm me or post some ideas here?

Last edited:
I think that cooling is holding you down. My G3258 works much higher once temps go down.
I see you have to bump voltage much higher from 4.8 to 4.9GHz what also means that next step will be similar or higher and at ~1.47V it will clearly overheat on ambient cooling.
You got really good chip. My best could make about the same and think I've tested over 15 G3258. After cooling it with dry ice I could reach 5.8GHz in some tests.

Thanks for your comment.

Im using an after market air cooler (NHD14). Problem is that i don't see temp problems, i was able to log into OS and checked hw monitor, 40-44 idle on 1.46v 5ghz -it is summer here-, but then BSOD. I just cant find stable settings. Would you mind sharing some of your settings with me?

how are you testing your cpu to see if its stable? all setups are different and cpu voltages will all be different as well as other settings. it takes trial and error to find the right settings. Idle temps are meaningless in ocing, its about load temps, this go back to how are you testing to see if its stable? are you just changing the multi or other settings as well on the bclk.

Up to 4.9 i didnt have to change any other settings, just set the vcore to the desired level and pushed the multi to 49, also put desired ram speed. For higher than that, i have tried probably more than 100 different combinations, including bclk, uncore/voltage and basically almost everything in bios that has anything to do with overclocking.

I test stability with IBT, prime, cpu-z, cinebench, and a few games. Though i cant test stability when it comes 5ghz as it crashes before i can do anything :X

Last edited:
back to the other question what are you load temps? doesnt matter at what speed/settings, what are they when your testing and at what speed/voltage.

At 4.9 they are about 70-78c with 1.39v during stress. In games it doesnt reach 70.

games dont matter when your looking to push it farther. if your reaching 78c in prime95/orthos/intel burn test, your at your limit atm, better cooling is needed.

games dont matter when your looking to push it farther. if your reaching 78c in prime95/orthos/intel burn test, your at your limit atm, better cooling is needed.

Better cooling would be custom liquid, which is not worth on a 60$ cpu i think. In my actual usage it doesnt reach 70c, i have headroom, i dont stress test my cpu for fun, its pointless. If it doesnt crash during gaming then its enough for me.

Better cooling would be custom liquid, which is not worth on a 60$ cpu i think. In my actual usage it doesnt reach 70c, i have headroom, i dont stress test my cpu for fun, its pointless. If it doesnt crash during gaming then its enough for me.

I have a perfect custom loop for that processor so if you are ever interested in getting rid of it shoot me a pm.

I have a perfect custom loop for that processor so if you are ever interested in getting rid of it shoot me a pm.

They are so cheap, just buy it from a store. If i ever get tired of this cpu i ll just put it on a secondary machine, not really gonna sell it, its a good overclocker that id wanna keep around.

They are so cheap, just buy it from a store. If i ever get tired of this cpu i ll just put it on a secondary machine, not really gonna sell it, its a good overclocker that id wanna keep around.

I think you misunderstood what I was after. I currently have one of these in my one system and have had the chance to play with a few others and none have been able to push 4.9 ghz with 1.39 volts. I was interested in that chip specifically to push it with the intent of benching it.

buying/selling is for the classifieds section of this forum, not only that but this is now derailing the intention of the thread.

I apologize that was not my intention and will remove my posts if you feel that is appropriate.

Back