• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeware video player DAUM PotPlayer skin customizations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
DaumPotPlayerSkin.png

EDIT: If your Windows custom sizing options (DPI settings) is above 100% then the new "zoom in skin" feature in v1.6.6.x breaks the clear display of some custom skins, unless you go to
Settings > [under General] OSC/Zoom in > Skin Zoom Settings > Set every option to Do not use skin zoom function.

@Do not use skin zoom function2.jpg

Since there is no forum for this 'better than VLC' :) freeware video player that I could find, I had to figure out how to do this myself from scratch. For years I was unhappy with both microscopic tiny buttons most (all) freeware video players have and I also wanted to have buttons I frequently use to be right there, accessible instantaneously, rather than through a jungle of Menus > Submenus.

For example:

• When you take pictures with your phone, sometimes your pictures are landscape and sometimes portrait orientation. Then, in your wisdom, you think you can record video automatically in landscape or portrait and video gets recorded flipped at a 90 degree angle. Well how about a Rotate video single click button?

• Sometimes you watch something and you go, 'What did he say?' - well how about a Closed Captioning single click button so you can just quickly turn captioning ON/OFF?

• How about a quick screenshot of anything with a single click?

• How about a LARGE mute button?

• How about a single click button that takes you to the menu of the DVD you're watching in case you're watching a multi-episode DVD?

• How about separate Open DVD / Open file buttons?

It takes a long time to make all that.

Freeware player download:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer
For this skin to work, copy the .dsf skin to
C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\Skins
and then right click on the player > Skins > to select a different Skin.

Right click on player > Preferences >
Click on + next to General > Startup > Window size: Custom size: 900 x 506
and
Playback > Default window size: Video output size x 1.5
[If you select Fit to video aspect ratio, then 720x480 videos will start playing at a window size that cannot display all custom buttons of custom skins with large buttons.
Since the skin has large buttons, initial window size has to be set larger like that.]

Other info:
Daum PotPlayer 1.6

[Installing 32-Bit version is recommended.
If your Windows custom sizing options (DPI settings) are above 100% then the new "zoom in skin" feature in v1.6.6.x breaks the clear display of some custom skins, unless you go to
Settings > [under General] OSC/Zoom in > Skin Zoom Settings > Set every option to Do not use skin zoom function.]

If you have already set custom file associations and are only upgrading already installed Daum PotPlayer version, SELECT: No file association, to keep existing file associations settings.

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.

Beta versions are available only as updates to 32-Bit versions, they cannot update 64-Bit version installs.

PotPlayer1.5.37916Upd and later delayed program start up time on Windows XP systems.
PotPlayer1.5.37858Upd was the last update to delay startup slightly on Windows XP systems.

Next > UNCHECK: All supported files
If asked which speaker system do you have, select: 2/0/0 - 2.0 Stereo
[If Same As Input is selected here, audio which uses more than two speakers will not be heard on two speaker computer systems.]

64-Bit version PotPlayerMini64.ini and 32-Bit version PotPlayerMini.ini are settings files, that should be copied to the following directories to change the settings as detailed below:

%APPDATA%\PotPlayerMini
or
%APPDATA%\PotPlayerMini64

or for Windows XP:
%PROGRAMFILES%\Daum\PotPlayer

This is how the settings were made:

Right click on player > Preferences >
General >
[middle right] File Open Method: Open selected file(s) only.
Multiple instances: Disable: Play files in existing PotPlayer instance.

Auto check for updates: Never
UNCHECK: Auto download files if an update is available

CHECK: Store settings to .ini file

Click on + next to General > Startup > Window size: Custom size: 900 x 506

Mouse >
Left button - single click > Play/Pause
Left button - double click > Full Screen/Restore

General > Skin > CHECK: Start in video skin mode

Click on + next to Skin >

(Select custom skin if you copied it to the Skins folder.)

OSC/Zoom in > Skin Zoom Settings > Set every option to Do not use skin zoom function.

Logo > Set Logo > Display: Fit to window

OSD Messages > UNCHECK: Display general info messages

Playback > Default window size: Video output size x 1.5
[If you select Fit to video aspect ratio, then 720x480 videos will start playing at a window size that cannot display all custom buttons of custom skins with large buttons.]

Click on + next to Playback > Playlist > CHECK: Remember played position

Click on + next to Device > DVD/Blu-ray > [center of window] UNCHECK: Display DVD Subtitles

[For Windows XP only] Click on + next to Filter Control > Video Decoder > Built-in codec/DXVA settings button [bottom center] > UNCHECK: Use DXVA > OK

Subtitle > UNCHECK: Show subtitles

Click on + next to Subtitle > Font style > Set Default Font to: Arial Rounded MT Bold Oblique 18 [not @Arial - Arial without @] > OK

Charset: Eastern Europe to see European alphabet letters displayed correctly.

Text: Dark yellow

[Also right click on screen > Subtitles > Subtitle Style > [on top] CHECK: Use Bold Font
(if necessary) Right click on screen > Subtitles > CHECK: Use opaque box border style]

[For Windows XP only]: Audio > Audio Render > Default WaveOut Device

Association > Only CHECK: Add "Add to" to file context menu
UNCHECK: Add PotPlayer to folder context menu

Set custom files to open with Daum PotPlayer:
.3gp .ac3 .amr .asf .avi .dvr-ms .evo .flv .m2ts .m4v .mkv .mov .mp4 .mpeg .mpg .ra .ram .rlm .rm .vob .wma .wmv .wtv

To rotate video display: Video > Screen Rotation

Use arrows keys to Rewind or Fast Forward.

Q. Why are my personal settings lost after stable version of PotPlayer installed?

A. The English installer just deletes presets called "Built-in DXVA/Self DXVA/CUDA/QuickSync Decoder" on each install. If you change settings of the "Built-in ...." presets and want to keep those settings on each install, go to F5 > Configuration > click on rename button and enter a different name > Apply & OK. To reload your settings: click on PotPlayer's icon on top left and select the related preset. "Default Configuration" preset will not be changed.

View attachment @Skin.zip

Last edited:
Better is subjective. You have subtitle and video rotate buttons, but I have open source, and I might feel like adding support for such buttons to VLC skins, since its skins already do everything else you listed :)

Nice skin. I still roll with the QQ Black. I do not think it comes with the recent versions. You may have to search for it. Has about half the visible tabs that I see on yours. Agree this player rocks. Nothing comparable at the moment. If something better comes along sing out, I'll give it a try.

Yea. I was apprehensive about switching away from VLC when someone at, where else, overclockers forums mentioned Daum PotPlayer to try. I liked the customizations, I liked the massive number of things it could do, and I most liked that I could PASTE the location of the DVD folder I wanted to open.

VLC at the time had a bug and it could not. And every time a new VLC version would come out I would install it, sure that it would be fixed, and it was not, this despite the author of VLC knowing about it when I talked to him and he would say things like the reason it hasn't been fixed yet is because 'I' did not submit the bug properly, and I was like I am telling you about it now (!) Still nothing until half a dozen versions later.

Then I started using PotPlayer and in time started seeing small bugs under PotPlayer, then I found out the email of Daum Potplayer author and in stark contrast, he would fix all reported bugs immediately. Always replying (in broken English) from Korea, always fixing reported bugs, even implementing suggestions.

multiple Beta versions are usually released before a new non-Beta release and one time on the day of the new release I uploaded, a large file to show him there was a problem, and the next day he released a new version, not even waiting for multiple Betas to go through... this is much better and much more rational compared to VLC and their approach I experienced.

Here's your qqblack: View attachment qqblack_en.zip
It has a nice simplistic approach.

I was going for placing large buttons right there so I can with a single click use everything I tend to use frequently. I also just modified another skin to emulate the one posted in the original post above for very old machines and old versions of Daum Potplayer under Windows 2000 and earlier:

Attachments

• Win2000.zip
    486.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
I made v1.3 which now has useful ZOOM features without clogging existing buttons (launches another window).

Attachments

• Zoom.png
    Zoom.png
    27 KB · Views: 5,502
Last edited:
New "zoom in skin" feature in v1.6.6.x breaks the clear display of some custom skins:

@Do not use skin zoom function.jpg

SOLUTION:

If your Windows custom sizing options (DPI settings) is above 100% then the new "zoom in skin" feature in v1.6.6.x breaks the clear display of some custom skins, do this to fix this problem:

Settings > [under General] OSC/Zoom in > Skin Zoom Settings > Set every option to Do not use skin zoom function.

Back