• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Node (Scratch Build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

complx

Registered
qCw0YP6.jpg
Hi all, I know its been awhile since I have been active on here, but to make up for it, I'm going to share my latest project. I have been working on this for the past few weeks and have finally gotten to the build phase of the project, which I will be sharing with you shortly. But for now, here is the initial concept and design.

I wanted to do something simple and minimalist using some fun equipment that I had at my disposal, one of which was a 3D printer. So I decided to design a case using just 3D printed and laser cut acrylic parts.

I am actually designing this for a friend of mine and he had a certain look he wanted to go for, he REALLY like the In-Win 904 case with that giant window on the side, so I did something similar, just out of 3D printed parts.

Another feature I wanted to accomplish with this was a very clean looking motherboard tray with no visible holes for cable routing. To do this, all the parts are on standoffs and the wires will be routed behind their respective parts to the back panel.

Currently the 3D printed parts are being printed and I should have them sometime next week, I will be ordering the laser cut parts as well next week.

If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to ask.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited:
Hi all, just a quick update. Got a call from the 3D printer today telling me the parts were finished. I will be picking them up on my way home from work and will update again when I get some photos of them.

Hi guys, for those of you waiting on the update, here's what happened, the printer messed up the part pretty bad...so they offered to re-print it, but they had to put it on the back burner due to more pressing projects they have to get done. (Im getting this done for free since I know some of the people there) I got a call this morning saying it was finished, so I hope to have some photos up tonight.

Looks like a great project!
What kind of radiator support would this have? (Assuming the printed parts are strong enough for the radiators)

Looks like a great project!
What kind of radiator support would this have? (Assuming the printed parts are strong enough for the radiators)

If all goes well, it should be able to support a 360mm at the top and a 240mm at the bottom.

If all goes well, it should be able to support a 360mm at the top and a 240mm at the bottom.

That's what it looked like to me, just wanted to ask :)

Hopefully this can turn into a manufactured design, I absolutely love the look/layout of this case!

That's what it looked like to me, just wanted to ask :)

Hopefully this can turn into a manufactured design, I absolutely love the look/layout of this case!

I would love to have it manufacturer lol, but I asked how much it would cost to get them printed normally, was pushing close to $600 for just the printed parts. I'm still trying to find a place to get the laser cut pieces done, I need a larger style of laser cutter due to the size of some of the pieces. The acrylic alone is looking like its going to cost around $200-$300 just to purchase the amount I need. Project is a bit more expensive that what I had originally thought lol.

I would love to have it manufacturer lol, but I asked how much it would cost to get them printed normally, was pushing close to $600 for just the printed parts. I'm still trying to find a place to get the laser cut pieces done, I need a larger style of laser cutter due to the size of some of the pieces. The acrylic alone is looking like its going to cost around $200-$300 just to purchase the amount I need. Project is a bit more expensive that what I had originally thought lol.

Yeah, custom parts aren't cheap.

That cost would go WAY down if it could be all laser cut steel for the body and laser cut acrylic for the door.
Actually, if the steel was done properly, the front/top/back/bottom could all be one piece with one weld to attach it. That'd make for a STURDY case.

Hi all! Sorry for the delay on this, finally got the parts back from the printers and everything looks damn near perfect! There are a few things that need to be done, remove support material, sanding, and painting so they all look uniform. Until next time, enjoy the photos!

Back