• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte 290X Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MMBosstones86

Alright, I'm at a loss guys. Picked up a used R9 290X through Amazon and haven't been able to get it working yet. After trying for a week, I RMA'd and of course...nothing was found. After I get it back I'll be back to the drawing board and looking for some advice.

So here is what the issue looks like : YouTube. Occasionally after about 5ish minutes after power up I'll get a non-recoverable black screen and need to reboot.

The strange thing is I'll see behavior like this on the desktop and certain games, but then can fire up Witcher 2 and play fully maxed out with no problems.

I've tried a few different driver versions and nothing changes.

Rest of my setup :

• Seasonic 550W PSU
  • ASUS P8Z68-V LX
  • i5-2500K
  • Crucial M4 64GB SSD
  • WD 1TB Caviar Black
  • 2 Cougar Vortex Fans
  • CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
  • CM Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler

Thanks in advance guys. I'm really struggling here trying to figure out what is wrong with my system.

I would try a different cable to your monitor.
That is massive epic artifacting, and if it's not the GPU itself it's either the GPUs connection to the motherboard or the GPUs connection to the monitor.

Are you using HDMI or DVI or VGA or something else?

Thanks for the response.

Using DVI right now. Just switched out my 560ti using the same MoBo and cable and everything worked. I've tried the other PCI slot as well, same thing. I'll try finding another DVI cable and see if that does the trick.

May want to try doing a full driver wipe and reinstall.

May also want to try changing your 2D clocks using a program like msi afterburner via a profile. Maybe the voltage is too low in 2D.

Also , from Gigabyte's website

The OP has plenty of PSU.
Gigabyte's statement there is with a massive safety buffer to keep people from blaming them when their $5 PSU blows up.
Look at the TDP of the sytem, you'll see just how much extra power is available.

I know it says that, but I'm hesitant that's the problem since I'm able to run Furmark and Witcher2 maxed with no issues. Seems to struggle on lower frequencies and loads. I am going to try with my 620W (non modular....:() PSU when i get it back.

I think there might be something to that 2D clock that Janus mentioned. Will try as well. Thanks!

I know it says that, but I'm hesitant that's the problem since I'm able to run Furmark and Witcher2 maxed with no issues. Seems to struggle on lower frequencies and loads. I am going to try with my 620W (non modular....:() PSU when i get it back.

I think there might be something to that 2D clock that Janus mentioned. Will try as well. Thanks!

Can't hurt to try the other PSU, but I'm 99.9% sure that Seasonic unit you have is doing its job just fine.

Alright guys, finally got the board back and tried a few things.

Changed monitor cable : nothing
Wiped NVidia drivers and re installed : nothing

Next I'm going to try to the PSU, but I doubt that's it. I do think it's around the 2D clocks as MOST games run fine (Witcher 2 and Divinity on Ultra with no problems). Question is...how do I go about changing the 2D clocks? I tried the profile.xml file and setting to read-only, but it got reset upon restarting.

Thanks guys!

edit : ok, so I may have found a solution. I upped the voltage through Afterburner and so far it's good. I'll report back after some more testing to make sure we're good.

Last edited:
I guess this can be considered closed. It still feels like a band-aid, but I was able to create a custom profile in Afterburner for 2D applications to increase the stock clocks. I also increased the voltage which gave me a little more stability.

I can now run Witcher 2 maxed as well as browse Chrome with no issues.

Thanks!

:D :-/ :screwy:

nvidia driver for 290x...I surely miss something :confused:

290x replaced a (nvidia) 560ti.....

Ah aaaa lol
Sorry i really missed a thing
I have a 290x my self but i have a 1200 power supply
No artifact
i hope you'r gonna resolve your problem

I think OP found the solution: +25mv with Trixx or MSI AB and the black screen issue should be history.

PS: I run 2x290x (1150/1350) and a 3770k (4.8GHz) on a 1KW PSU with absolutely no problem.

Back