• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD R9 295x2 Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today we get a chance to review an absolute beast of a video card in the AMD R9 295x2. We have put other monster cards through their paces such as the MSI 290X Lightning, NVIDIA GTX Titan, and EVGA's GTX 780 Ti Classified. This one is going to tear those to shreds, plain and simple. In April of this year, AMD brought to market their R9 295x2. That's right folks, this card is two R9 290X GPUs on one PCB. The amount of power taken from the wall socket and the frames per second this card offers is second to none at the time of this publication. Getting rid of 500 watts of heat is a trick...
... Return to article to continue reading.

Very nice review.

The price is a little hard to swallow though.

You could get 2 X 290X with waterblocks for less money.

That being said I bet that they sell well and become very hard to find.

Thanks!

And yes, the price is hard to swallow, no doubt. Don't forget you need to buy the rest of the loop as well (rads/pump/fittings, etc)...

2 290x reference cards = $1K
2 blocks = $230
1 360 rad = $65
1 pump = $70
fittings/tubing = $50

That is $1415. And while its a better cooling solution, there is also the effort/time to set it up. I am not defending the price, I would like to see it lower, no doubt, but seeing it out like that puts things into perspective a bit I think...Most have parts of the loop built so a better case would be taking the pump out which takes it to around $1350 or so.

Nice review! I like the 295x2 design. :)

i am wondering how this card compare with titan-Z both being 2x GPU and all.
I am like super curious about that.

Well, hopefully quite soon (in the coming weeks) I will have something to share on that front as well. :)

Awesome review ED. I've been waiting for someone here to do their review on this card. It really looks like it's a beast.

I could be mistaken, but I believe I saw somewhere that EK has/is making a waterblock for this card that slims it down to a single card slot (assuming they have some sort of replacement slot solution).

Ah, found it. Link

...2 290x reference cards = $1K
2 blocks = $230
1 360 rad = $65
1 pump = $70
fittings/tubing = $50

That is $1415. And while its a better cooling solution, there is also the effort/time to set it up. I am not defending the price, I would like to see it lower, no doubt, but seeing it out like that puts things into perspective a bit I think...Most have parts of the loop built so a better case would be taking the pump out which takes it to around $1350 or so.

Plus fans. Very nice review ED. It's outta my league but I still gotta wonder...Is the AIO component style i.e. can you upgrade the rad to say a 240 or 360 or even 60mm thick rad or are you stuck with the stock equipment? Also how does the Asetek pump and block compare to say a XSPC ?

Nice work Joe, that cooler did better than I expected :thup:

Plus fans. Very nice review ED. It's outta my league but I still gotta wonder...Is the AIO component style i.e. can you upgrade the rad to say a 240 or 360 or even 60mm thick rad or are you stuck with the stock equipment? Also how does the Asetek pump and block compare to say a XSPC ?
You can upgrade anything with enough effort. That said, there are no 'barbs' that traditional custom loops have on it so this would be a heck of an effort to mod and add radiator to the existing Asetek pumps IMO.

Nice work Joe, that cooler did better than I expected :thup:
Thanks! ANd it really did do a better job than I expected.

great review earthdog. I've bit the bullet and ended up getting the card. And I do plan on modding the aio loop and using the asetek pumps in a custom loop with 2 120mm rads.

That's the card for his RED MATTER itx build. It's easily the largest component in the build. Very nice.

Very nice review. You had fun!:bday:

I'm hoping to see some one-upmanship next year by AMD and NVidia. Their labs must be twitching with ideas.

Wow, this is insane.

Do dual GPU vid cards at least end up using less power than two, discrete
GPU's of the same type (at idle and load)? Or more?

888 Watts power usage = 8 amps at the wall socket? What happens if you
only have a 6 amp circuit breaker?

At the last LAN party I went to, there were power outages, this despite
the fact the host had upgraded his circuit breakers specifically for this
LAN party.

"I bet a lot of people are curious as to how the Asetek built 120 mm AIO worked on getting rid of up to 500 watts of heat"

Not really. Because it is only cooling the 2 cores of the card, and not the whole card. So I would guess that it is more like 200-250 watts that it is cooling, which given the temps under load seems about right. Sorry, but I just had to point that one out, it's the smart *** in me :D

Considering the core(s) is going to be 90+% of the heat, it isnt far off. Think of the video card like you would a cpu and motherboard, the overwhelming majority of the heat and power use is the cpu.

Back