• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

so many choices

hey guys, when i switched from windows 98 to 2000 i didn't install windows 2000 right the first time and i had to reformat my hard drives and re-install 2000 again. Everything went fine but in my bios it makes me choose between 2 windows 2000's. If i pick the first one everything is fine and if i pick the second one it says it cant find it. I tried reformating and re-installing windows 2000 over again but it still shows 2 operating systems to choose from in my bios. I have an Asus a7v...

I'm not realy sure if this is causing problems for my computer but if it isn't, then it realy is just annoying for me to have to choose the correct operatin sysytem everytime i start up.

thx in advance guys:)

you could try a FDISK /mbr, it would clean your master boot record (from where the OS boots), or edit your boot.ini file (there's a thread here, a little older, might wanna look in the other pages) to remove the entry of the second Win2k

win2k prob

I'd edit your boot.ini file. There's a guide for using custom boot screens in win2k on www.littlewhitedog.com It requires adding lines to boot.ini Well by the same principal, you should be able to delete a line to get rid of the bad OS choice.

The boot.ini should be hidden and read only in C:\
and technically the selection part isn't in the bios.

u can try r click on mycomputer/startup and recovery
pick your good windows(windows 2000 .... fastdetect) for default operating system

you can get into your boot. ini by typing boot.ini into your run box, just make your changes and then save it
it should look something like this

[boot loader]
timeout=6
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /sos

you wont see the sos switch in yours but put it there and see what u get, i think u will like that switch

you could also do a boot repair from your recovery counsel(RC)
just boot into your 2kcd, come back in about 8 min or so and then select the repair from command prompt option
after you log in just type fixboot
at the rc prompt
then exit
also could type fixmbr from the rcprompt

The /sos switch as used in the Boot.ini startup line displays the driver names while they are being loaded. Use this switch if Windows NT/2000 won’t start up and you think a driver is missing. This option is configured by default on the [VGA] option on the boot menu.
You can find out more about the available Boot.ini switches, and how to edit the Boot.ini at the following site/s...

Back