• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Recommended Cases of OCF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks A_A I'll add her to the list as soon as I get some free time. Nice looking build too.

Of topic for a bit. How's that Geminii cooler? You running it OC'd? I've never been a big fan of the "C" types.

I've always liked the C types due to the additional cooling on the surface power components around the CPU. We have a mild 4GHz OC on it.

I've always liked the C types due to the additional cooling on the surface power components around the CPU. We have a mild 4GHz OC on it.

I have the ThermalTake MaxOrb from my AM2 stuff. She worked like a charm for that older stuff but switched to the tower style once I started on AM3(+).

On my next build I might go twin tower or 'C' depending on the architecture heat characteristics and the 24/7 OC I want to push.

If you want, I can clean up this thread so only the info is left after you finish editing your info. Just PM me...

Just a heads up on the EVGA Hadron Hydro the heatsink clearance is listed as unknown, it's the same 165mm as the Air version, the only difference in the cases is the added height for the radiator up top. Noticed as I just picked up the Hydro and was seeing if it was already listed (really loving the case by the way)

On my next build I might go twin tower or 'C' depending on the architecture heat characteristics and the 24/7 OC I want to push.

If you want, I can clean up this thread so only the info is left after you finish editing your info. Just PM me...

That's ok. Just a small detour. No worries.

Just a heads up on the EVGA Hadron Hydro the heatsink clearance is listed as unknown, it's the same 165mm as the Air version, the only difference in the cases is the added height for the radiator up top. Noticed as I just picked up the Hydro and was seeing if it was already listed (really loving the case by the way)

Ok thx. The review didn't list it and I didn't want to advertise falsely. I'll update the listing.

My builds must sit under a shelf. That constrains the design a little. But I found a winner in the Cooler Master N600. After finishing my review of that case, I adopted it for my own build. Fine case.

But I live with as couple of African Grey parrots who really fill the place up with dust. The dust would accumulate and I would have to suck off the dust with a vacuum at least once a week. Then I reviewed the Fractal Design Define R5. Even though the case has its IO cluster on top so the USB and mic/headphone jacks are unreachable, I had to have it. So I bought the new Akasa InterConnect EX 5.25" card reader that has USB3 x 4 + USB charging x 2, along with a headphone jack to USB converter, and now I have front-mounted IO. I love it. So quiet.

So I can recommend:
Cooler Master N600
Fractal Design Define R5

Hey Blay, were you planning to add much mATX info? Didn't really see any.

Just to be sure I understand, What information are you referring to?

Just to be sure I understand, What information are you referring to?

There's quite a few cases out there dedicated to mATX (think, Air 240), but I didn't see a section for mATX in the list of cases.

There's quite a few cases out there dedicated to mATX (think, Air 240), but I didn't see a section for mATX in the list of cases.

The list is organized by the case classification(e.i. full tower, mid tower, cube, etc.) because most members have an idea what they prefer. The problem with listing them by MoBo size would be nearly all cases fit multiple size boards. For instance your example of the Air 240 fits both the mATX and mITX. I would list this in the "Cube" section. I do agree that the MoBo compatibility should be listed though. Maybe I can start adding that once things slow down here.

I've only been adding cases that are either reviewed by OCF, recommended by an OCF member, or a "known" great case as I don't own these cases myself, I need to base this on member input. If you like the Air 240 and feel it should be listed I'll add it for sure.

Something in a full tower :eek:

View attachment 163025

NICE! Can I haz?

My point is that standard case sizes are ATX Full, ATX Mid, mATX Mid, mITX.
So there's a distinct difference between an ATX Mid and an mATX Mid. Think Corsair 350D.

True, the problem is most of our reviewers and even some of the manufacturers websites aren't listing these sizes anymore. Corsair does, I wish they all did. Let's use one of the more recent OCF reviews as an example. The Fractal Designs Define R5 can house a full ATX board. I would classify it as an ATX mid as it only has 2 5-1/2" bays, but it's not listed as such either in the review or on the Fractal site. With this in mind what is a mATX full? A case that doesn't house a full ATX board and has at least 3 5-1/2" bays? It just creates a gray area that can be left up to debate. To keep it simple I admit I dumbed it down a bit and combined the mid/mini cases into one category.

In the near future I can see this gray area expanding with the growing popularity of the cube cases and the waning of the ODD drives. I've also contemplated eliminating the HTPC category and merging it with the desktop/cube but I was hoping there'd be more DVD player style cases to list. They just haven't been coming showing up.

AFAIK there isn't an mATX Full.

The mATX Mid would be a tower that's built to hold mATX or smaller in the traditional tower form factor.
Cases like the 350D, Arc Mini, etc.

Check Silverstone for good HTPC cases. I own a GD05B and it is very nice.
Thideras has a Silverstone as well, I think his is from the ML series.

Back