• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desktop Icons Randomly Arranged

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok , so I did some experiment , I guess changing the resolution but there's no exactly what resolution and if turning it back to 1920X1080 , does cause the similar effect , strangely the files doesn't cluster together neatly as I though it suppose to , like how when your installing a brand new GPU.

But still I think the games aren't causing this , since ea time I close a game whatever games , it wont happen. Only happens on boot up.
Doesn't happen either when I refresh my desktop....

So I guess this is caused by some sort of program or there's a fault somewhere in my OS or something ??

I tried Google it , so far there's no permanent fix that Im able to find , there is but it's not same as mine , like editing registry keys and all , but they had problem or registries that I don't have so it can't be apply on me.

Neither is c627627's solution a permanent fix...this is so frustrating.
I wish there's least a clue that causes this or least a solution to find it. All this guessing won't work

You mention something about youtube... the program I linked to lets you right click on desktop and either Save Desktop or Restore Desktop.

It is an indispensable simple program if you like to control the layout of icons with a single click.

Your computer is switching resolutions somehow and that is why your icons get messed up.

If you used this program http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm and you right click save icons at each of the problem resolutions then the program will automatically make the icons stay as saved whenever something else switches to that resolution again. That is my understanding.

You mention something about youtube... the program I linked to lets you right click on desktop and either Save Desktop or Restore Desktop.

It is an indispensable simple program if you like to control the layout of icons with a single click.

Your computer is switching resolutions somehow and that is why your icons get messed up.

If you used this program http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm and you right click save icons at each of the problem resolutions then the program will automatically make the icons stay as saved whenever something else switches to that resolution again. That is my understanding.

O I was saying I was checking out the program you introduce me at YouTube, I mean I was seeing it how it works. It's fast and simple indeed.
But it's not a permanent solution. I was wondering if there's one that fix this problem completely.
But for now I think I might have to use that program at the moment.

I think I can agree on that my resolution is being change by something..that causes this , but is there anyway to actually find out ???

As for games I think we can cross that out on the list. Since what I heard or read , if it were games, it will happen just right after they exit the game , but mine wasn't....worst of all unlike others....their's constant happening like maybe every boot up , but mine its so random , it could be days before it strikes again ! :bang head

Could it be my monitor or something lol....my Display Port cable :shrug: This is driving me :screwy: :screwy: I will never feel relax or comfortable as long as my PC has problem even slightest. It feels like a sickness to me :(
I need a life :chair:

Btw this was the video. Just for a reference.

Even though this article refers to icon repositioning after a reboot, still check the permissions of the Desktop sub-key...

Fix for Desktop Icons Layout Not Getting Saved Upon Restarting Windows
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-desktop-icons-layout-not-saved-restart/

... then if unresolved, follow step #3: Reset the Desktop Icon Layout Registry Key. If still unresolved, try creating another user account to see if the issue follows.

...and just in case you missed what I was saying:

ONCE you right click and save icons positions at a given resolution, they should ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY return to those positions after a resolution switch. The only problem is you may have to right click SAVE positions at every resolution if you don't know what it's switching from/to.

Of course, redduc900's solution would be much better.

Even though this article refers to icon repositioning after a reboot, still check the permissions of the Desktop sub-key...

Fix for Desktop Icons Layout Not Getting Saved Upon Restarting Windows
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-desktop-icons-layout-not-saved-restart/

... then if unresolved, follow step #3: Reset the Desktop Icon Layout Registry Key. If still unresolved, try creating another user account to see if the issue follows.

Just want to be sure so your asking me to try Step #2 and #3 ( NOT #1 ) still unresolved then try creating another user account trick ?

Well for Step 2# this is not valid , since all my permissions are ok , there's no Deny in them.

I will try Step #3 then.

...and just in case you missed what I was saying:

ONCE you right click and save icons positions at a given resolution, they should ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY return to those positions after a resolution switch. The only problem is you may have to right click SAVE positions at every resolution if you don't know what it's switching from/to.

Of course, redduc900's solution would be much better.

So...meaning I have to do like from resolution 800X600 up to 1920X1080 every ea of them :shock: ??
Sorry my English isn't so good so I sometimes will repeat your answer or ask twice just to be clear , so I don't do any mistake and cause even further problems ! :bang head

EDIT : Ok so I went ahead and did Step #3

1. Using the Registry Editor, rename the key Desktop to something else, say OldDesktop
2. Exit the Registry Editor
3. Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to open Task Manager
4. From the File menu, click Run. Type Explorer.exe and press ENTER

Just want to be sure, if I did it properly. After doing step 1 , 2 nothing happens at all. My icons still at all the same position I've set to and I still see my Windows button etc.
So I went and continue to step 3 and 4 , nothing happen either. All it does it opens up my "Libraries" folder. That's all.
So I rebooted my PC after that , something happen here, my Destop icons went to Medium Size instead now ( I had it as Small before I reboot / renaming the Registry Key )
and it's all been neatly arranged to the left side , all filled up. As if I click " Auto Arrange " but I check Auto Arrange wasn't tick , same goes for Arrange by XX wasn't tick.
Ok so I went to check my Registry Keys , the key is still showing as "DekstopOld" instead of just "Dekstop" and there's no new Key either. So did I do this right ??

Before - HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags \ 1 \ Desktop
After - HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags \ 1 \ DesktopOld

Also I can't tell if this fixes my problem, since it won't happen constantly and everytime I boot up , it's totally random. So I will need time maybe even days before I can even tell. Once even for a whole week it didn't happen , but again it did happen on the next day.

Last edited:
Ok just want to have short update guys on my current situation. So it's been like 14 days now ( 2 Weeks ) since I made this post , and did the solution of " Reset the Desktop Icon Layout Registry Key " by changing the Registry name from " Dekstop " to " Old Desktop "

Well so far so good, my Desktop icons hasn't been randomly arranging yet ! But I won't be so sure , I think I would wait for least a Month long till I confirm it =)

So just a quick update. Finger cross , hopefully it's fix for good ! If anything changes I will update again.

Ok just want to have short update guys on my current situation. So it's been like 14 days now ( 2 Weeks ) since I made this post , and did the solution of " Reset the Desktop Icon Layout Registry Key " by changing the Registry name from " Dekstop " to " Old Desktop "

Well so far so good, my Desktop icons hasn't been randomly arranging yet ! But I won't be so sure , I think I would wait for least a Month long till I confirm it =)

So just a quick update. Finger cross , hopefully it's fix for good ! If anything changes I will update again.

Good :)

Hopefully it sticks :p

I think it's been 2 Months or more now , super late reply.
So at long last I can confidently say the problem has been solved !
So I guess leaving the registry key name as " DesktopOld " it's ok then ? So far no problem.

Probably fine if it has been stable so far :)

Uh Oh ! I spoke too soon lol ! As this morning when I turn on my PC , the Desktop Icons went crazy again , I didn't even change the registry key name.
So I think there's some program or something triggering this rather than is my OS's problem but seriously....it's been fine for 2 Months and now it goes crazy again.
I think God is asking me to format my PC or something :mad:

EDIT : Ok this is strange, I went and check my registry keys. I thought of maybe trying to edit it once more like before , but I recall that in the registry key path

" HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags \ 1 \ "

It should only contain one registry key " Desktop " or well " DesktopOld " for my case , basically it should be something like this right ?

" HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags \ 1 \ DestkopOld "

Ok thing is , in the registry path now I have two keys !

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags \ 1 \ Desktop ( This is a new one that pop out of nowhere this morning when I start up my PC )
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ Bags \ 1 \ DesktopOld ( The one I edited )

What does this mean ? Taking a closer look inside both are the same thing except the " Desktop " has a few less than the " DesktopOld "
I will take a picture of and post it here.

Desktop only has ItemPos1024X768X96(1) and ItemPos1920X1080X96(1)
DesktopOld has ItemPos1024X768X96(1) , ItemPos1280X720X96(1) , ItemPos1600X1200X96(1) and ItemPos1920X1080X96(1)

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE IMAGE POST IM NOT SURE HOW DO UPLOAD A BIGGER IMAGE SO I USED THIS METHOD

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DesktopOld.jpg
    DesktopOld.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
At this point, I'd just go for an Icon utility. IconConfigurationUtility is what I use. Arrange your icons, right click on desktop -> save profile
To restore the Icons, right click on desktop -> Restore layout.

It's better than a re-format...

At this point, I'd just go for an Icon utility. IconConfigurationUtility is what I use. Arrange your icons, right click on desktop -> save profile
To restore the Icons, right click on desktop -> Restore layout.

It's better than a re-format...

Would like to double confirm , I shouldn't have 2 Desktop registry keys right ? Originally was DesktopOld , I just rename it , now pop up another naming Desktop.
Can I delete one of them ??

Would like to double confirm , I shouldn't have 2 Desktop registry keys right ? Originally was DesktopOld , I just rename it , now pop up another naming Desktop.
Can I delete one of them ??

Correct. I only have 1:
desk.PNG

What I would do is this: Delete the "Desktop" one, copy your DesktopOld, and rename it to Desktop. Re-boot and see if it fixes it.
If it does, you could export the key as a .reg, then simply add a few lines to do the copy and renameing above.

That way you'd just have to double click on the .reg file and re-boot to fix it.

Correct. I only have 1:
View attachment 154066

What I would do is this: Delete the "Desktop" one, copy your DesktopOld, and rename it to Desktop. Re-boot and see if it fixes it.
If it does, you could export the key as a .reg, then simply add a few lines to do the copy and renameing above.

That way you'd just have to double click on the .reg file and re-boot to fix it.

OK Tks , I will give it a go.

Back