• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best internet sharing software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spazzkid

ive used wingate and winproxy... but both seem to interfere when im playing network games within my home network. are there other alternatives for this? how do i fine tune the settings so it wont interfere with my network games?

a hardware solution would be best, I'd go with a router. i's more expensive but you would not have any of the overhead of running another application while you are gaming.

You can get a linksys dsl / cable router for dirt cheap, just a little more than the same price of a software firewall like wingate. the best thing about getting a hardware one is it includes a firewall, and you set it up and forget it. just set your pcs to DHCP and you are livin the miller highlife.

as for a really good proxy program, the good ones cost more than that linksys router.:beer:

Beelzebub said:
You can get a linksys dsl / cable router for dirt cheap, just a little more than the same price of a software firewall like wingate. the best thing about getting a hardware one is it includes a firewall, and you set it up and forget it. just set your pcs to DHCP and you are livin the miller highlife.

as for a really good proxy program, the good ones cost more than that linksys router.:beer:

huh? am just using a 56k internal modem!

ah, that makes more sense now. Ok, as far as I can tell you are still going to to have overhead as long as you use a software proxy server, have you tried Microsoft's build in one? I think it's called Internet Connection Sharing? there are not very many products that use software proxy servers. As high speed internet access become more common I think you will see less and less of them as well. Due to the fact like Beelzebub said a router is a cheap long time solution. So you best bet may just to be shut down the proxy server while playing games thne start it up again when you want net access. Sorry, I cant think of a better solution.

well i just finished my intenert shareing project

i have 56k too

if you have to buy a hub might as well fork over engoh to get a router becuase eventuly your going to want broad band

anyway just get the comptuer with the modem and in windows 2k do the share tab and enable internet shareing.

set the other comptuer to get ip automaticly
and set the dhcp to auto as well
it should work
but not with aol ( scum bags)

I don't know how much use this is going to be to you, but I had a spare pentium 133 which I put with a 1.2 gig HD and installed OpenBSD. With that you can get full router functionality and all the software required is free.

crash893 said:
well i just finished my intenert shareing project

anyway just get the comptuer with the modem and in windows 2k do the share tab and enable internet shareing.

set the other comptuer to get ip automaticly
and set the dhcp to auto as well
it should work
but not with aol ( scum bags)

what is the dhcp? and where to you set it?

AND: will the ISC with WinXP be ok? I REALLY don't want to have to mess with software.
Thanks, Tim

dhcp

dynamic host control protocol

basicly i think

its just saying the host can assingn ip;s to what ever computer that asks for them

IIRC DHCP is used to assign automatically an ip address to a machine that is connected to the network. That way it helps in that it reduces the amount of settings that need to be input and it should also avoid any conflicts with 2 MAC addresses sharing the same IP.

thanks, I am sharing and joyful now.

Wow, go figure.

2 months before I leave for college I get a network to work, file and printer sharing to work, and ICS to work, all with no additional software.

I feel like the luckiest man alive...it's never been this easy.

I honestly chalk it all up to windows XP.

Thanks for the help guys.
Tim

Back