• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Colored Flash Testing (on the cheap)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Hey guys, when I got my new flash I knew I would want colors besides boring old white.
Being the engineer I am, I knew I could do this easily without special gels.

I was already buying a softbox to attach to the flash (nifty little piece of equipment).
My first thought was "This softbox could hold an insert!!".

In comes Solar Graphics. I found them through Google, and saw they had a section where you could buy samples!
For $18 I got the following assortment:
2014-07-11 22_16_57-amattgolfer9691 - Yahoo Mail.jpg

Naturally, when I received them in the mail today I immediately cut them to fit into the softbox (the original was 8"x10", I cut down to 4.75"x3.5") and proceeded to test them out.

All pictures were taken on the same camera settings (below), same flash settings (1/4 power), and same room lighting (none).
T3, EF 50mm, f/5, 1/2 sec., ISO-100

On to the pictures!

No film:
IMG_1516.jpg

Grass Green:
IMG_1521.jpg

Grape:
IMG_1522.jpg

Midnight:
IMG_1523.jpg

Fire Red:
IMG_1524.jpg

Flame:
IMG_1525.jpg

Amber:
IMG_1526.jpg

SGXND20:
IMG_1517.jpg

SGXND15:
IMG_1519.jpg

SGXND5:
IMG_1518.jpg

Solar Graphics has a TON more colors that you can pick from, these are intended for windows, but work amazingly for coloring your flash!!

Side note: Portal coasters can be purchased here

Hope this helped some of y'all,
-Austin

Hmmm, that would make some pretty groovy tints for cases and displays too!
Nice find!

I'm a cheapskate and have stuck with my trusty little Sanyo 7M for years, but I must admit to checking out the DSLR's...

Hmmm, that would make some pretty groovy tints for cases and displays too!
Nice find!

I'm a cheapskate and have stuck with my trusty little Sanyo 7M for years, but I must admit to checking out the DSLR's...

It could absolutely be used for case windows and other computer projects!

Check out The Big Photography Thread, there's a TON of good info in there!
The T3 is an awesome camera for someone wanting to get into good photography without breaking the bank :)

Back