• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your Thermal Grease??!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I grab whatever is closest. I won't go for extreme OCes or anything so if the CPU runs 2C warmer it's no skin off my back. Got a tube of AS5 somewhere, maybe some old MX1. As long as it does better than an air gap and isn't toothpaste I'm ok with it.

I grab whatever is closest. I won't go for extreme OCes or anything so if the CPU runs 2C warmer it's no skin off my back. Got a tube of AS5 somewhere, maybe some old MX1. As long as it does better than an air gap and isn't toothpaste I'm ok with it.

i'm guessing you used peanut butter? also i'm an avid fan of as5.

Have used anti seize before...... didnt work very well, but did work enough to at least test athlon processors. Copper anti seize ftw. :)

I'm using DeepCool Z5.... it's very average but squishes out really well, I put a drop in the middle , then twist and slide the heatsink around, NEVER LET IT LIFT OFF or you ruin your perfect contact.

My Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO did not come with paste so I had to use it, seems to be 2 degrees cooler than my friend's identical CPU and heatsink with stock paste, maybe just he just has a hotter CPU... although both were running the same manual clock and voltage settings.

How well it's seated seems to affect temps by more than the TIM, unless you're using magical gallium.

Vaseline....

Seriously. Worked for me. I'm a noob and had absolutely no thermal paste available.

once I scraped away the stock, I didn't replace it with anything.
And it kept shutting down /// thermal event.

{ If you have nothing else....
:
: Vaseline seems to work}

: // Better than nothing
:

Vaseline....

Seriously. Worked for me. I'm a noob and had absolutely no thermal paste available.

once I scraped away the stock, I didn't replace it with anything.
And it kept shutting down /// thermal event.

{ If you have nothing else....
:
: Vaseline seems to work}

: // Better than nothing
:

I've seen reports that say that Vaseline works great. HOWEVER, it will eventually dry up so make sure you only use this as a temporary fix.

Hello BlayLock

......I got in trouble for thread jacking a thread about thermal compounds .
.......And my grotesque discussion of Vaseline.

++++

Just discussing the efficacy of Vaseline as thermal paste.

{ Alot of people are doubting it and suggesting otherwise. }

// But if you're in a jam, and don't have access to thermal paste, like me.
because there is no comp store, and ebay is too far away.......
So we know that it's possible but no thorough investigations or scientific data

:: Ambient Temperature is 91-93 F.
(( the reason overheating in the first place ( it's a shop with no AC buring in the sun)))
:: CPU core temperature is unavailable because there is no thermo couple for the cpu
:: I measure the water temperature thats in the water resevoir and it varies between ..........94 F and 107-111 F
:: It has not experienced any thermal event shut downs since the application of the Vaseline:: (which it did before the vaseline)
:: it has been pointed out that vaseline is suitable as a TEMPORARY thermal paste,
;; Temporary Because the vaseline will eventually dry out

; I can confirm this rumor, as after removing my heatsink today I found that it was slightly evaporated
;; Though I expected that because I applied only a very thin layer .
;; taking my heatsink off is extremely easy and quick so it's not a problem to experiment
;; Today I applied a more generous amount in hopes of greater heat transfer, longer lasting
ll I wont mention it again until''

I get more empirical data

;; Also, I poured the liquid from old ( Instant Cold Packs)
;; and am using that as a coolant

;; I'll make a seperate post for this when I get more numbers

I usually use Arctic Cooling MX-2 or MX-4, been using MX-4 lately since I opened that tube first. Both work well and have easy clean up.

Have tried Arctic Silver Ceramique 2, but didn't like it very well. It arrived hardened (partially dried up) in the tube when I bought it new. Still have the tube of it, takes a lot of force to get anything out of it. Works okay, dries out quickly in tube (if my experience is typical), more difficult to clean up than MX-2 or MX-4.

Used AS5 a few years back. Worked fairly well, but a real mess to clean up and sticks to absolutely everything. Still have an unopened tube of that sitting in the drawer, it's a couple of years old, so probably gone bad by now.

Used AS5 a few years back. Worked fairly well, but a real mess to clean up and sticks to absolutely everything. Still have an unopened tube of that sitting in the drawer, it's a couple of years old, so probably gone bad by now.

I've only used AS5.

If it's hard to clean up, an eraser (of all things) works nicely on it :D

90% or higher isopropyl alcohol is best one or two swipes and clean.

Unless it's on ceramic CPU's like that Duron I own. That actually makes it worse because the ceramic is porous. The eraser... just works. :p lol

But yeah, some alcohol and an old toothbrush works wonders :)

I've used over 10 different thermal pastes over the last 15 years and find they all perform to within a couple of degrees of eachother. I am currently using Gelid Extreme on my Water Cooled PC and AS5 on my backup. I just ordered Coolaboratory Pro to apply between the cpu and IHS but would never use it for IHS/block.

I still have a full tube 3.5g of MX-2 and have a 20g tube of MX-4. like them both

Back