• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel i7 4790K, does it come with cooler? How is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes it comes with it's own cooler. The stock cooler is "good enough" for stock settings. You can use it until you can afford an aftermarket cooler. Until then, don't expect to overclock it... at least not by much.

If you are not overclocking, then a "K" chip is not the most fiscally responsible choice. Its meant for overclocking and you are paying a premium, albeit small, like $30, for that versus a locked non "K" chip. Don't buy the race car if you are only going to drive it in a school zone is my take. ;)

The included heatsink with intel processors have pre-applied paste on it (good for one use/mount).

Cut the blue wire and splice in a switch for a performance boost on demand. Or just set sane fan settings in the BIOS if your board supports it.

4690K stock cooler whirs on me under load, going to replace it as it's the loudest thing in my (incomplete) computer.

Actually.....

If you are not overclocking, then a "K" chip is not the most fiscally responsible choice. Its meant for overclocking and you are paying a premium, albeit small, like $30, for that versus a locked non "K" chip. Don't buy the race car if you are only going to drive it in a school zone is my take. ;)

The included heatsink with intel processors have pre-applied paste on it (good for one use/mount).

I'm seeing this knee-jerk response a lot which is actually true more often than not, but in the case of the 4790k it is still a top price/performance ratio even without overclocking. It has no non-"K" counterpart at 4ghz, and actually may be a top choice for those not overclocking. I researched carefully, and bought it myself. I normally OC, but don't see the need now.

sure, but...

earthdog is spot on, the 4790>>>>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116987 is plenty for most people.
I could do very well with just that or even the i5.
I chose the 4790k because i wanted THAT.
they run hot, if your not clocking it your fine, nothing to worry about or even to know about.
the stock cooler, just fine for a stock clocked cpu.

Yea, 4790 is fine, but 11.1% more clock speed for 9.7% more cost is not something I would dissuade someone from doing. Either one is fine.

Back