• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rayrays build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey that sempron should be some fun for you Ray. Never know you might have a little sweetheart there. I just got a 145 that I can run right up to 4.5 with 1.45v then it just digs it's heels in. I haven't been able to start windows when I'm up to 4.6 so I'll have to start up at 4.5 and the go up in windows. That's another little trick for getting a couple more points. Sometime it'll run faster, it just won't start winders.

Ya , nice little toys for that price. IIRC my 140 really started getting thirsty around the 4.0 mark and 1.6v by 4.2

Ya , nice little toys for that price. IIRC my 140 really started getting thirsty around the 4.0 mark and 1.6v by 4.2
I may add when Johan is shoving 1.6 Cpu V it isn't on ambient cooling :D

Yea I noticed. Sucks that I'm still on air right now so only so much I can do

Yeah being on air is tough, when winter comes around things get fun. Cold is good, :D

You're right about that Manny, I almost always have the cold water on things. Unless I'm just testing parts like this

Attachments

• p45 ud3r.JPG
    p45 ud3r.JPG
    731.2 KB · Views: 32
Ok finally got around to playing with the sempron messing around with it some now to try and see how it does with the amd rookie rumble. Would greatly appreciate if one of you gentlemen could double check my scores right now. Still working on going higher

The submission looks good, though for the Cpu Freq drop the ram multiplier to eliminate it causing the issue. You can also drop the HT Link speed. Then give that thing some juice, you're good to at least 1.5 if you want to be safe, if you don't then shove that thing full of volts and see what it will do.

Yea i would go up to 1.6 but I couldn't get it to start up any higher than 3.2. I'm going to fiddle with it a little more later this week. Sitting at 2nd place on the AMD rookie rumble right now. When I have some more time I will play around till I melt the damn thing down to try and get first. lol

I did however go from 30 hwbot points to almost 55 though. happy about that. Still got 20 more to go to stay safe for when they change the benching team rules. Got anything I can borrow lol

Yea i would go up to 1.6 but I couldn't get it to start up any higher than 3.2.
It may be because of the ram you also have the command rate timing at 1t set it to 2t and drop the multiplier and see if it helps.
I did however go from 30 hwbot points to almost 55 though. happy about that. Still got 20 more to go to stay safe for when they change the benching team rules. Got anything I can borrow lol
Well talk if and when it comes to that.

Good work so far Ray, I checked out your Sempy stuff and yes you should drop the HT frequency, I would also try to raise the NB for a bit more oomph. If your having trouble booting you can always try using AMDOD to get a bit higher in windows or Gigas OC utility.

Ok I'll see what I can do I've never used any of the od utilities so that will be a learning experience

As you know we usually recommend using the BIOS to OC, though AMD OD is a very useful tool. What is especially good about it is you can set up your OC in the BIOS near the wall you may be reaching. Then boot to windows and try to push further with AMD OD. Sometimes you can get those few more Mhz you wouldn't normally get because you can't get it into winders. We recommend using the BIOS because it's a bit more stable and it is useful to understand your BIOS when OCing. Using AMD OD is great especially because you don't have to restart every time you want to make a change.

Also, I may have told you this before but it's a tidbit I learned when I started going sub ambient. At some point even though you may be no where near the chips "recommended Max temps" the chip may not be able to take any more voltage unless you get it colder. For example, even though the chip may only be at 35-40c it may be too hot even there for it to be stable with excess voltage. I say this because you mentioned you were going to try 1.6v, which may or may not be too much. Another thing is sometimes you need to sneak up on it with voltage instead of hitting it with the Caddi Daddi sledgehammer of voltage. This sneaking up on the voltage also implies on the FSB. Sometimes when I testing a chip and I know it can do for example 260 Fsb with 13.5 multiplier at X voltage. If I just set it that way it will crash every time. If I set it at say 250 Fsb and 13.5 multi and then use the AOD Od while in windows to up my Fsb to 260 it doesn't crash. Warning, just remember when really pushing the voltage the magic smoke may leak out at any time.

As you know we usually recommend using the BIOS to OC, though AMD OD is a very useful tool. What is especially good about it is you can set up your OC in the BIOS near the wall you may be reaching. Then boot to windows and try to push further with AMD OD. Sometimes you can get those few more Mhz you wouldn't normally get because you can't get it into winders. We recommend using the BIOS because it's a bit more stable and it is useful to understand your BIOS when OCing. Using AMD OD is great especially because you don't have to restart every time you want to make a change.

Also, I may have told you this before but it's a tidbit I learned when I started going sub ambient. At some point even though you may be no where near the chips "recommended Max temps" the chip may not be able to take any more voltage unless you get it colder. For example, even though the chip may only be at 35-40c it may be too hot even there for it to be stable with excess voltage. I say this because you mentioned you were going to try 1.6v, which may or may not be too much. Another thing is sometimes you need to sneak up on it with voltage instead of hitting it with the Caddi Daddi sledgehammer of voltage. This sneaking up on the voltage also implies on the FSB. Sometimes when I testing a chip and I know it can do for example 260 Fsb with 13.5 multiplier at X voltage. If I just set it that way it will crash every time. If I set it at say 250 Fsb and 13.5 multi and then use the AOD Od while in windows to up my Fsb to 260 it doesn't crash. Warning, just remember when really pushing the voltage the magic smoke may leak out at any time.

Ok I'll take my time with it when I throw it back in and play around. I'm determined to get it higher. I'm only behind on one point for second place right now lol.

But just for my knowledge when the processor pops will it affect my mobo. Lol

But just for my knowledge when the processor pops will it affect my mobo. Lol

It shouldn't damage it but there are always exceptions Ray. Normally it'll just die black screen and no more bootie.

I just checked my subs with the 140 Ray and I had the NB around 2700 with likely around 1.3v CPU_NB. Not saying that yours will do it but it's quite likely. Should add a few points to every bench if you find you just can't go faster.

I would have expected something like this in the "putzen" thread...

...but this is RRFH thread and so be it. Also often overclocking is very clandestine. Meaning hidden. Oh well.

1. What "johan" just said above is not just ho-hum advice. It is 'how' you do it for real.

2. One more thing to know that will happen at some point is being in windows and using AoD and crap I just crashed. This is where keeping an image handy is very critical. You start letting windows crash and not address such can make for lower scores for sure. Certainly in video apps. That is why "mandrake" is so emphatic about the 'spare' SSD/HDD he uses for benching. It can mean points.

3. I always reboot 'before' beginning a new bench. Always. It has extra points by that process for a number of the benches.

4. We are scrabbling around for points? Right? Don't know if this has been pointed out in the 'clandestine' area or not but will just say I used it to my advantage for years. I made folders for 'each' bench. Before benching. Then at reboot I ran a bench and saved everything needed for 'submission' to that particular benches folder. Then I ran the bench at least 3 more times with a save of each bench run of *everything* needed for submission. Guess what? Within running a bench 3-4 or even 5 times there is a slowing, but I would suggest that for me within running the bench more than once...there was that flyer that was good for a better bench score. Walla. Delete the lesser ones and keep the flyer for submission. This is afterall a competition. it is you against the others. Get them air points. Hehehe.

5. Benching for points is not fluffy candy but hard work. But if you want results, the hard work and attention to every little detail can make a big difference in what your submission rewards you with. Just my own experiential, FYI.
RGone...ster.

Good advice RGone, some benches are pretty consistent Like CineR15 but 11.5 will spit one out higher on the second run if you can keep the PC going that long. Ha ha
Same goes for many benchmarks, HWBot prime is all over the place and with that one Ray make sure you set the java engine to high priority in task manager. It's not as obvious as cinebench. Also changing the desktop background to something simple helps in many benches.

Back