• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rayrays build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shrimpy, because the Rayray was using the fsb I told him to drop the multi for now so a stable oc could be found. I was trying to eliminate the possibility of the ram causing instability. After a stable oc is found I said to them try and tighten the timings and possibly speed up the ram.

And your approach is just fine..... I didn't read the entire thread, just thought I'd put some numbers up as this will be part of the stability testing process. I didn't feel it was being excluded, but did feel the need to point a finger into a direction and see how the plane takes off ;)

It's actually working out pretty good right now because it's cooling down in the house and my temps are staying right around 46 Celsius max. But that is with the side cover off. Added a fan earlier.

I'll probably finish the 2 hour test tonight and work ram tomorrow morning after pt or after work.

It's actually working out pretty good right now because it's cooling down in the house and my temps are staying right around 46 Celsius max. But that is with the side cover off. Added a fan earlier.

Your doing a great job! Keep up the good work.

You will find your "Winter OC" to be much nicer than the summer one ;) :thup:

I actually didn't think 4.5 was doable with just the hyper 212 air cooler. Actually very impressed with my first budget build. For a while I was wishing I went with the 8320 or 8350 but that's already in the plans for upgrade along with the Mobo.

I actually didn't think 4.5 was doable with just the hyper 212 air cooler. Actually very impressed with my first budget build. For a while I was wishing I went with the 8320 or 8350 but that's already in the plans for upgrade along with the Mobo.

The 8320 and 8350 will run much hotter than you'd expect. Hopefully you upgrade from air cooling to some type of liquid cooling. If moneys a problem AIO is the way to go. Got a little extra $$ buy a Good waterblock and pump and some decent radiator surface area, and expect overclocks as high as 5ghz for a daily ride on 8 cores.

If I go with one of the 83 series it would definitely be water cooled. Kinda glad I went this route first so that I can learn a lot of the stuff I need for getting stable overclock. Even though I am sure there is still a lot I could learn. 40 min on the prime blend test and everything is still holding strong. No fails and 44 Celsius for the temps on socket and package.

Thanks Johan. It did awesome last night on the 2hr prime blend test so tonight I'll work on tweaking the ram a little.

You do have some headroom as far as temps go, ram can be a bit tricky to get it working just right and stable.
I would give the NB speed a bump to bring it even with the HT. NB speed really affects ram performance on these AMD CPUs

Speeding up the NB and tightening the ram will likely need a bump to the CPU_NB voltage. If you find it unstable give that a try first.

ok ill try that and maybe just enable the XMP in the bios and see how it goes from there.
A problem you may find when enabling the XMP Profile with the FSB set at 225 is you're going to be running the Ram at 1800 Mhz. It may be fine there or may not, your best bet is to drop the Cpu Multiplier a lot lower then start at 205 and test your way up to 225 to see if the Ram will run that fast at the set timings. You can also loosen the timings with the FSB at 225 and the Cpu multiplier left alone to something like 9-10-9, 9-11-9 or 10-11-10 and see if they will run like that.

A problem you may find when enabling the XMP Profile with the FSB set at 225 is you're going to be running the Ram at 1800 Mhz. It may be fine there or may not, your best bet is to drop the Cpu Multiplier a lot lower then start at 205 and test your way up to 225 to see if the Ram will run that fast at the set timings. You can also loosen the timings with the FSB at 225 and the Cpu multiplier left alone to something like 9-10-9, 9-11-9 or 10-11-10 and see if they will run like that.

Ok I'll check it out. I know when I was at 220 I had turned it on and ran a test and it was still good. I'll experiment a little bit and see how it goes

Ok so turned the XMP Profile on for the ram to see how it went. Tried changing the nb to line up with the ht and anytime I changed anything with the nb it would fail to boot

You'll have to up the CPU_NB voltage, try 1.25 first. and the ram voltage, I just don't know what you have it at now

Back