• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Say good bye to 1366?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Hi guys, I have th opportunity to grab a 3570k and Maximus V Gene for 260. Is that a fair price, and would it be an upgrade to the rig in my sig? I have some fast bbse and psc that I can use.. Or should I just count my pennies and get something a little more modern? I use handbrake quite a bit if it helps..

I would check benchmarks with handbrake and the 3570K and see what is doing there before I made that jump. There is not any HT on that chip and you have a hex with HT that is a couple of years old. If handbrake can use all those threads... it may be a toss up. You may be better served with a 2600K or 3770K...

Well...

So it's not really an upgrade, I was really looking forward to some fast sata and usb heheh. I guess I'll just run what I brung for now. Another baby on the way, so my money should probably go into the bank. But dammit I want a new toy! I haven't bought myself a new toy like that in a couple of years :cry:

It wouldn't really have been a new toy. It would have been a 2 generation old toy.
Not much thrill to be had in that. Don't look back in anger. :D

Lol nah I will build something new I suppose.. It's hard to converse about new hardware with everyone since I don't have any :D I figured I'd beat on that 3570k and that would be it. Hope for 5ghz like always and see what she can do. Maybe I will just hold off until intel quits slacking and just give us our 5ghz since it's the new 4ghz.

Lol nah I will build something new I suppose.. It's hard to converse about new hardware with everyone since I don't have any :D I figured I'd beat on that 3570k and that would be it. Hope for 5ghz like always and see what she can do. Maybe I will just hold off until intel quits slacking and just give us our 5ghz since it's the new 4ghz.

As you can see from AMD's attempt at a 5Ghz stock chip, the vcore required is absolutely ridiculous. Even on the most cherry picked CPU, 5Ghz requires a very crazy voltage. Intel doesn't want to release a chip that's already under that kind of stress at stock. They don't want to release a chip that needs a big cooler stock either. Sure, 2011 cpus come with no heatsink, but that doesn't mean you need a 240mm rad to cool them either.

They are both the same wattage, s2011 chips and AMD octo's. ;)

The voltage isn't ridiculous to me if they stand behind the chip with their warranty the same as they do any other, lesser, CPU of theirs either. Put it in perspective. ;)

Back