• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote --> VPS/VPN <---> HOME possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Sorry for the title, i've no other way of describing my question better in the shortest way possible hehe..

Ok, so I have a Server PC (web server, IP camera server, etc) for my home and I wanted to be able to connect to expose its ports so i can directly connect to it (using software, browser, FTP software, etc) ..The problem is the server is behind a Network that I have no control of, and the IP it gets issued is NON-PUBLIC (internal IP) ... so there is no way of connecting outside traffic into the PC unless Port is fowarded from the main router - again, w/c i have no control over.

So I was thinking if there was a CLOUD TYPE VPS SERVER service with STATIC IP, where my Server PC can connect to somehow and offer its ports through that server? I was thinking like if a sort of VPS can be established between Home Server and the VPS Host, and demiliterize that traffic...

Kinda like this...for example i wanted to connect to my router..

(me) --- http://IP:8080 ---> [VPS Server] <--- demilitarized/pass-thru ------> (Home Server)

Another key here is that (me) is not using any VPS client.. it can be a PC, laptop, android device, unix box, whatever.. i just use the VPS server IP and connection is established..

Is there such a service?

Regards..

TJ

thanks for the lead brah... isn't there a service out there somehwere for this?

what do you want to do?
remote into your server?
if so use teamviewer
if no I am unsure what you are trying to do

what do you want to do?
remote into your server?
if so use teamviewer
if no I am unsure what you are trying to do

My server has web services..
Apache (port 80) (need to connect via browser)
FTP (port 21) ( need to connect via FTP Client)
MySQL (port 3866) - need to connect via Navicat MySQL software
IP camera streams (port 25-35) - need my NVR software to connect to the streams
and several other services..

Remote desktop is for something else

Are you able to get a static ip from your isp?

If you are, the next step is just getting a proper router that allows for port forwarding and you would be good to go...

EDIT: I forgot about the 'no control' part. Sorry! Disregard.

Is the server on a fixed IP or is it dynamic and ever changing?

It may be a dumb suggeston, but couldn't you just get the IP address from the server and type that IP address into your browser or FTP client?

Depending on the up-time of your server it shouldn't change the IP too often

Is the server on a fixed IP or is it dynamic and ever changing?

It may be a dumb suggeston, but couldn't you just get the IP address from the server and type that IP address into your browser or FTP client?

Depending on the up-time of your server it shouldn't change the IP too often

Newp, PUBLIC IP ADDRESS (w/c is what I would really need), regardless of static or dynamic, is impossible to get on my Server's internet connection (Mobile Data LTE w/c is practically issued the Teclo's internal IP addresses)

regardless of static vs dynamic IP, if dynamic get a domain name, use a dynamic dns provider and dynamic dns client to manage IP updates and set up a VPN. Not sure why you would want to expose your network/server to the world. if you can run a VM OpenVPN is free and easy to use. What OS id your server running? What kind of router do you have?

Last edited:
ummmm Guys, you're missing my point/question here.. i have a NON-PUBLIC IP ADDRESS .. it's not about static or dynamic.. and even if i have a STATIC "non public" IP ADDRESS for my home server, it won't work because you can't make INCOMING connections to it no matter what coz the IP is NOT PUBLIC.. it's INTERNAL. and that's why I was wondering if there was some sort of VPN/VPS service that can offer a solution...

ummmm Guys, you're missing my point/question here.. i have a NON-PUBLIC IP ADDRESS .. it's not about static or dynamic.. and even if i have a STATIC "non public" IP ADDRESS for my home server, it won't work because you can't make INCOMING connections to it no matter what coz the IP is NOT PUBLIC.. it's INTERNAL.

You have NAT. As do I, and I have not been able to find a way to expose my open ports to the internet.

You *need* a public IP. Since you can't get one (like me) there's is little one can do.
Not trying to be an ***, just saying what I know.

You have NAT. As do I, and I have not been able to find a way to expose my open ports to the internet.

You *need* a public IP. Since you can't get one (like me) there's is little one can do.
Not trying to be an ***, just saying what I know.

Thanks.. and yeh man we're on the same boat.. sucks being "behind" a NAT w/c you can't control ..

Thanks.. and yeh man we're on the same boat.. sucks being "behind" a NAT w/c you can't control ..

Heh, I'm lucky to even get high-speed up here.
And the satellite modem doesn't support port forwarding and public IP's.

Ultimately, teamveiwer solved my opening port issue, but it's only good for remote desktopping. :-/
But yeah... It does suck.

If IPv6 was here, everyone could have a public IP. :thup:

Well you could spin up a $5 a month Digital Ocean droplet and do the reverse SSH tunnel I mentioned

Ahh yeah!

You can tunnel ports via ssh right? I remember doing that with putty in VM's I think.

yeap putty is capable of doing this. I tunnel ports via socks proxy every day. I have one browser on socks proxy and one on just regular network. This allows me to have an "outside" connection

Hmmm...I access my server remotely. Server has an internal ip (192.168.2.16) but, from the internet's perspective, the ip address for the server is the same as the ip address from my provider.

Pic below shows my relevant router settings.

I have an account at dyndns.org (donated years ago when they were free and got a free, lifetime account woohoo!) so I've got web-addy looking urls. Can get to the server by either entering the url (with https:// prefix) or https://<my home ip address>

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 129
If your server can get out to the interweb, it has an external, public IP address. It won't necessarily be broadcast to you in any meaningful way as an end user, but you can still find it. Crank up a web browser on your server and surf to http://www.whatismyip.com/.
If you don't have a browser (no desktop) on your server, try
Code:
curl http://whatismyip.org/
from the terminal. This will get you your external IP.
Granted, this might not solve all of your problems (if you're still being blocked by a firewall somewhere within your network), but it's a step in the right direction.

tsk...
tnx for the effort to reply guys but unfortunately this is an issue that's beyond a simple port forwarding or dyndns.

What about the reverse SSH proxy Stratus_ss mentioned?

If not, public IP is what you need, so switching ISP's would be the only option unless yours offers public IP's. (probably not, like mine)

Back