• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conformal coatings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I have a quick question about conformal coatings. This is basically just a sealant correct. So the question is would any off the shelf spray on acrylic/silicone work for motherboards or does it really need to be more specialized??
Thanks

Wow did prices go up on that... I thought $30 /spray can was rough... now its $45?!!!

I would stick with that. The reason being is, at least for me personally, I am not sure if there are chemicals in other similar products that could break down the PCB or any other parts it touches. I would assume most others would be ok, but not enough to tell someone to go buy it and try, LOL!

Thanks F_S I have seen that one before but I'm having a hard time locating that in Canada.

Wow did prices go up on that... I thought $30 /spray can was rough... now its $45?!!!

I would stick with that. The reason being is, at least for me personally, I am not sure if there are chemicals in other similar products that could break down the PCB or any other parts it touches. I would assume most others would be ok, but not enough to tell someone to go buy it and try, LOL!

I was thinking of the acrylic since I have seen nailpolish recommended for mobos, this is basically the same thing in a spraycan, no?

Is this that crap they are spraying on the motor controllers? Smells unbelievably foul lol

/hijack

No clue, but the fumes are EXTREMELY hideous to smell and quite toxic. Spray in a very well ventilated area...

Using that link I did find a few distributors here, still $32/can E_D, I'm hoping to find someone local apparently there are shipping restrictions on it since it's classed as a hazardous good here.

I never used conformal coating on any of my boards.

did not know it was so expensive

Gotta love this, Out of the box

That was pretty cool! :thup:
So you just go bareback Witchy?

I normally just use artist eraser personally... But knowing I was going to have an extended (like literally 8 hours to bench LN2) session, I conformaled a couple boards just to make sure as there is a lot of cold creep the longer you go.

That was pretty cool! :thup:
So you just go bareback Witchy?

Yep, never really had any problems other than the socket filling up with condensate, but coating it will not prevent that. I also always put a Sham Wow through my bars with a hole cut out to fit the pot of SS head to mop any surface water up

Have not lost a board yet to condensation , knocks on wood

Attachments

• Eraser.jpg
    Eraser.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 559
I'm planning on DICE and it wouldn't last more than a day so I'd want to go as long as I can, at least till it's gone. I have eraser as well, I just tested the board out last night to make sure it works and tonight hopefully see how well it clocks a CPU I'm familiar with.
I checked the MSDS for the techspray and the acrylic they have basically the same ingredients. About 40% acetone and a few other hydrocarbons.

EDIT: Also where do you get sheets of neoprene, I've checked most local HW stores and nothing??

Pipe insulation is the neoprene I get (Home Depot/Lowe's in the States)...

With DICE, I would just use artist eraser.

Thanks guys, I was maybe erring on the side of caution since I'd really like to use this board more than once and once it's insulated etc. I don't plan on taking it off after that . I have other boards that I will use for cold water cooling.

I just got a CHIII 790FX off of Ebay, brand new OEM for $80. It really only works for the Phenom II and Thuban etc. I still have a CHV-z , sabertooth and M5A 990 boards so I thought this would be good for a first time.

My understanding is AMD chips don't cold bug, if true that will be nice not having to deal with that :thup:

Thinking that cold will spoil you pretty quick :)

The PIIs are OK but some of the older ones won't even run with my -15c water they just refuse to play without mitts and booties.
I'm hoping to. I just haven't decided which CPU to use. How hard is it to swap them while benching. I'm sure there are some issues with it?

Back