• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q on frequency vs load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

I've noticed on CPUz and RealTemp that the CPU frequency can be running at it's set max, but the load isn't at 100%. What's the relationship between the two?
What does it mean if load is under 100% - is is transmitting 'empty' data, or…I don't really understand how it works exactly. Could someone explain load vs frequency?

Load is just how much of the processor's capability is being used, such as how many threads it is processing. Frequency is the speed at which it is processing those threads. A CPU doesn't have to be at 100% load for 100% frequency. It's job is to get whatever workload you throw at it, no matter how big or small, finished as fast as possible.

Ok so if frequency is the speed the CPU is processing threads, my follow-up question would be: If you have the same amount of work to be done in two different scenarios - one at frequency 'x' and one at freq. 'y' - frequency 'y' being higher, would the CPU at frequency 'y' show a lower load, given that both scenarios have the same workload?

That is a good question, and some others on the forums would know the proper answer, but I can only make assumptions.

I would assume that the workload would show the same percentage while it is being processed, however CPU "y" would finish before CPU "x".

It would be the same load %. The work load isn't changing, its just being crunched faster.

Thanks for clarifying.
What determines the total load a CPU can handle then?

I am curious about this myself. :)

I'd say it was based on number of threads/cores, but that wouldn't make much sense. you never see CPU load sticking to 25, 50, 75, etc percent load. Each core can only handle one thread at a time, unless hyperthreaded. On top of that, each core has it's own load, and some may be at 90% while others are at 37%... it makes my brain-parts hurt.

Obviously a core handling one thread isn't reporting 100% load, though technically it is for the amount of time that it takes to crunch that thread, so what gives here?

Last edited:
Back