• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Amd FX-9590 Freeze/Unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mr. Scott hit the nail directly on the head.

Firstly AMD sold these with AIO liquid cooling systems similar to the H80 (I forget exactly off hand what it is...) but even with a single 120 fan radiator, these chips don't overclock.

Also, your running with cool and quiet On and that doesn't help your case at all if you where to argue the Cpu is too hot.

secondly, you should also actively cool the VRM package area. Sure it has a heat sink on it, but could get heat soaked causing shut downs.

Cooler Master Hyper 103 RR-H103-22PB-R1

How much did you spend on this thing?? If it was near 69$, you could have gotten this instead. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181038&cm_re=H100-_-35-181-038-_-Product

Yea.... that cpu is 220 watts thermal outputage.

However, you could underclock that chip. I bet 4ghz at 1.3v would be ok on this Hyper 103 with the 3 heat pipes....

There have only been maybe 3 now of the 9xxx FX cpus...

...cpus come thru here and hang long enough to really get a grip on what is needed to get stable with all 8 cores enabled. Hot and not stable is the general complaint with the 9xxx cpus.

This was a good thread even with the clowns. It took awhile and he moved from AiO cooling to full on water cooling in a custom loop before he reached real stability at high clocks with all the cores on.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740816
ZeypherUndellus >> Question AMD 9370 issues with Crosshair Formula V - Z

A 990FX R2.0 is about equal to the CHV-z he had and the CHV-z just has more bells and whistles for those on LN2 and DICE.
RGone...

Bump up the CPU NB voltage 50mV(little shy of 1.2V)
Raise Memory speed to 1333MHz, try giving it 1.6V and set command rate to 2T.
Disable spread spectrum for CPU

I doubt that the problem is the CPU and if it freezes priming in 30 seconds it isn't heat either unless you have a really bad mount.
Pretty sure that board just does not like the 8GB memory sticks.
You will no doubt need better cooler to run that CPU full speed.
In the meantime you should disable turbo and drop your speed to 4GHz and down volt to 1.3V range

Bump up the CPU NB voltage 50mV(little shy of 1.2V)
Raise Memory speed to 1333MHz, try giving it 1.6V and set command rate to 2T.
Disable spread spectrum for CPU

I doubt that the problem is the CPU and if it freezes priming in 30 seconds it isn't heat either unless you have a really bad mount.
Pretty sure that board just does not like the 8GB memory sticks.
You will no doubt need better cooler to run that CPU full speed.
In the meantime you should disable turbo and drop your speed to 4GHz and down volt to 1.3V range
That worked perfect,

Tempratures stay low enough, lasted through 15 minutes of Prime95, runs stable so far.

I don't really think its heat that causes the 10-30 second deadlocks (when it isn't underclocked), while running Prime95, tempratures don't get anywhere near critical within that time, i suspect its a Ram issue.

I tried running my 9370 on a M5A99FX with a Hyper 212 just for sh**s and giggles since I could get decent OC on water at low volts. Honestly the darn thing literally went snakey on me. I'm not sure what it was since that same setup would run the 8350 without issue. I really didn't play with it too long I just decided it was a really bad idea. I wouldn't be surprised if that CPU heats up so fast that the software doesn't even register it.

I tried running my 9370 on a M5A99FX with a Hyper 212 just for sh**s and giggles since I could get decent OC on water at low volts. Honestly the darn thing literally went snakey on me. I'm not sure what it was since that same setup would run the 8350 without issue. I really didn't play with it too long I just decided it was a really bad idea. I wouldn't be surprised if that CPU heats up so fast that the software doesn't even register it.

Socket temp might do that but package temp is what controls the shutdown and throttling and it responds so fast that you would likely see it well over 80 before thermal shutdown.

So i got a corsair h100i installed, seems to help a lot temp wise, but is quite loud.

Its currently 30-35*C in here, so the fans constantly rotate at a high RPM, trying to cool something that's not gonna get much cooler.
I have tried changing various fan settings in the bios, but nothing seems to affect the RPM of the the fans that are plugged in to the Corsair h100i.

Infact i am pretty sure that the rotation speed of the fans doesn't even change when the CPU temp does.

The corshair h100i plugs into the mobo as a 3PIN fan, on a 4Pin plug, but only uses the "control" cable.

Besides that, what would the best voltages be for my CPU while non-underclocked?

You should probably do a run of P95 blend at defaults to make sure it'll run stably now. Just go to bios and hit F5 to reset to factory default. Make sure to monitor temps as well

Looks like the Deadlocks where a thermal issue after all, seems to run stable now.

69RZBda.png

Again, 30-day warranty. Terrible idea for an AIO, especially a refurb.

Still better than air all day, and how do you know if it was rmaed from rad fan screw holes or not. Sure its a chance, but bench test first and if it lasts 30 days itll probably last a while.

Still better than air all day, and how do you know if it was rmaed from rad fan screw holes or not. Sure its a chance, but bench test first and if it lasts 30 days itll probably last a while.

Actually, no it isn't.

The original H100 gets beaten out on AMD by the NH-D14, NH-D15, PH-TC14PE, SD128264 Aegir, Thermaltake Frio, and NH-U14S.

Any input on why the Corsair h100i runs on 2300RPM all the time, regardless of temperature or bios settings?

CPU still seems a little unstable, tempratures where low, cpu usage was low, but got a random deadlock.

Any config suggestions, everything is default atm.

Get the Socket temp down it may help

Yep that is why I put that link to Z_U's thread and all he had to go thru to finally get stability. Freeze and locks are indicatiing some issue. Hardware or software is not so easily known.

But when even socket temps are high as opposed not to really normal low/in good range, then there will be problems. Socket temps just give some us a 'look-see' into what the VRM is dealing with. High socket temps are often a result of heat thru the board to the cpu socket area. And VRM circuit on these boards 'can' attempt to throttle the cpu and if there is a problem in doing so...well lock-ups and indications of some form of instability are the result.

I cannot think of any of us that are actually pushing our FX 8 cores that is not cooling both the VRMs and the rear of the cpu socket. So take a cpu that by default is already overclocked to the speeds we often have to overclock up to and beyond with our FX-8350's...I can only imagine there will be the possibility of problems.
RGone...

It lasted through 30 minutes of Prime95 tho, and then deadlocked when i was casually browsing the internet.

Should i actually be worried about the Socket / VRM circuit temp for now?

It lasted through 30 minutes of Prime95 tho, and then deadlocked when i was casually browsing the internet.

Should i actually be worried about the Socket / VRM circuit temp for now?

P95 Blend mode is a pretty good "load" and if it locks at 30 mins; it says there is some problem. However if the thing will do what you want to do for 24/7 use...well go for it, I guess.

My FX-8350 is 2 hours and change stable at 5.2Ghz with very d*mn good cooling. So I am pretty sure without any failure there, that I am pretty safe in assuming I will be stable to do my work of video editting which is a heavy load and that I should be able to expect just about anything I do will be fine. And it is.
RGone...

What i mean is that it deadlocked under very low load.

It survived 30 minutes of Prime95, i turned it off, 15 minutes later it deadlocked.

Which makes me assume its not a temp issue, since the temps must have been much higher when under Prime95 load.

Most likely it has something to do with that Kingston ram, I said earlier it just doesn't seem to play well with the FX. Have you set the ram up at all?

Back