• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Amd FX-9590 Freeze/Unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have the Corsair DIMM 32 GB DDR3-1866 Vengeance Pro Quad-Kit (CMY32GX3M4A1866C9).

I'll try that, when thermally conductive paste I ordered is here. I've already switched my processor 2 times without refreshing it because I ran out of paste.
It should be here in 2-3 days.

What do you think about the increased freezes and BSODs when activating the performance presetting in BIOS? (BIOS version is the newest possible btw)

I'm also trying P95 right now with my older Phenom II X6 for more than half an hour now and the temperatures roam around 58°C (+/- 2°C) for the CPU and about 50°C for each core according to hwmonitor just to check if the system is stable with my old cpu. BIOS is set to performance mode atm.

Do you mean performance memory profile? Unless your memory comes with XMP profile, I would advise staying away from the preset memory profiles. The XMP profile should be on the bottom of the list.
The preset profiles do not necesarily set memory voltage right.

I'm talking about the system performance options you can chose from on the BIOS startpage (see first image here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5714/...cond-wind-for-asus-gigabyte-msi-and-biostar/6). TBH, I don't exactly know what's behind those option. But as they're on the front page of BIOS and are still beautifully designed with those buttons, I thought they wouldn't do something dangerous but simply would affect fan speed and how aggressively the turbo mode gets activated.
But with my FX-9590, activating that performance option would cause my PC to crash soon after login. With my phenom II there's no problem at all (it seems).

I'm talking about the system performance options you can chose from on the BIOS startpage (see first image here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5714/...cond-wind-for-asus-gigabyte-msi-and-biostar/6). TBH, I don't exactly know what's behind those option. But as they're on the front page of BIOS and are still beautifully designed with those buttons, I thought they wouldn't do something dangerous but simply would affect fan speed and how aggressively the turbo mode gets activated.
But with my FX-9590, activating that performance option would cause my PC to crash soon after login. With my phenom II there's no problem at all (it seems).

Honestly that isn't surprising. You should switch your bios into advanced mode.
Set AI Overclock tuner to D.O.C.P.
Set O.C. Profile to one of the profile in the bottom. like in pic2. If there is no profile like that leave it to default.
Last set CPU & NB voltage to offset mode. leave CPU voltage on auto and add offset to CPU/NB votlage so that it displays 1.350V or close to that. If CPU/NB voltage defaults to 1.4 leave it alone.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

I agree with Waza, these Fx 8/9xxx chips will usually need more Cpu NB voltage to run above DDR3 1600. Mine needs 1.38v to run at 1866 stable.

Yes 'wullxz' you probably would have done better...

...done better to not resurrect a corpse. New threads bring in more people for viewing and that can mean more help. Not always but seems most often more people look at newer threads. They (new threads) are often just easier to recognize.

By the way before "I" forget > Welcome to OCF...:welcome: I know you have already been posting back and forth and I nearly forgot to say the Welcome.

Onward: The Sabertooth BIOS is pretty typical when it comes to new UEFIs. You have the Main, Overclocking, Advanced, Monitor, Boot, and Tools tab. What is unique to Asus is their EZ Mode. Here a user that does not completely understand how their system works, can still overclock and change some advanced settings with ease. EZ Mode shows some of the more important voltages, temperatures, and fans on your motherboard. It also provides three “overclocking” settings. You have the power saving, normal, and the overclocked profile. You can also easily change the boot order by dragging the disks to the position you want.

Above copied from OCF review of Sabertooth 990FX motherboard.

Overclocking without understanding is often setting-up oneself for issues and failure. Good enough reason to learn how the motherboard bios actually works. Now we know why 'my' bios boots into the extreme mode settings from the get-go. Because I am going to manually set up my bios and thus by-pass any possible issues for me with most things 'auto' as regards cpu speeds and ram speeds.

Okay about D.O.C.P. I have attached a picture below that hopefully is like a picture is worth a 1,000 words.

Sabertooth DOCPa.jpeg

There maybe a time and a season when D.O.C.P. might be to one's advantage. However when it is capable of manipulating CPU multiplier and FSB Ferquency on its' own...that can be asking for trouble. Maybe not too much trouble when using a lesser FX 8 core processor like the FX-8350 but can certainly create a problem for the unwary with a greatly "factory overclocked" cpu like the FX-9590.

The default speed of the FX-9590 is 4.7Ghz which for a long time now has been a 'good' watershed for an overclocked FX-8350. However when the "multiplier" is manipulated, it generally takes the cpu out of control of the TurboCore mode and now suddenly you have ALL the cores enabled at a pretty advanced clock speed and are no longer under the umbrella of the specs for the cpu as set forth by AMD whereby the FX-9590 is not going to upclock but 1/2 the total number of cores on the processor and also you leave behind the AMD cpu's ability to really raise and lower the cpu speed according to load and temps. Ergo...issues. Auto manipulated FSB Frequency can certainly create a problem because the FSB aka HT Reference Frequency is tied to the HT Link Speed; the ram speed; the CPU_NB speed and of course CPU speed. When you manipulate FSB, you manipulate those other speeds also. To do so by 'auto' can be a real shocker with resultant instability.

You get decent heat sink compound installed between your cooler and top of cpu and then check back and we will learn to setup the bios and if at all possible bypass any 'auto' stuff with the inherent ability to do stuff we are not fully aware of. Luck man.

RGone...:salute:

...done better to not resurrect a corpse. New threads bring in more people for viewing and that can mean more help. Not always but seems most often more people look at newer threads. They (new threads) are often just easier to recognize.

By the way before "I" forget > Welcome to OCF...:welcome: I know you have already been posting back and forth and I nearly forgot to say the Welcome.

Onward: The Sabertooth BIOS is pretty typical when it comes to new UEFIs. You have the Main, Overclocking, Advanced, Monitor, Boot, and Tools tab. What is unique to Asus is their EZ Mode. Here a user that does not completely understand how their system works, can still overclock and change some advanced settings with ease. EZ Mode shows some of the more important voltages, temperatures, and fans on your motherboard. It also provides three “overclocking” settings. You have the power saving, normal, and the overclocked profile. You can also easily change the boot order by dragging the disks to the position you want.

Above copied from OCF review of Sabertooth 990FX motherboard.

Overclocking without understanding is often setting-up oneself for issues and failure. Good enough reason to learn how the motherboard bios actually works. Now we know why 'my' bios boots into the extreme mode settings from the get-go. Because I am going to manually set up my bios and thus by-pass any possible issues for me with most things 'auto' as regards cpu speeds and ram speeds.

Okay about D.O.C.P. I have attached a picture below that hopefully is like a picture is worth a 1,000 words.

There maybe a time and a season when D.O.C.P. might be to one's advantage. However when it is capable of manipulating CPU multiplier and FSB Ferquency on its' own...that can be asking for trouble. Maybe not too much trouble when using a lesser FX 8 core processor like the FX-8350 but can certainly create a problem for the unwary with a greatly "factory overclocked" cpu like the FX-9590.

The default speed of the FX-9590 is 4.7Ghz which for a long time now has been a 'good' watershed for an overclocked FX-8350. However when the "multiplier" is manipulated, it generally takes the cpu out of control of the TurboCore mode and now suddenly you have ALL the cores enabled at a pretty advanced clock speed and are no longer under the umbrella of the specs for the cpu as set forth by AMD whereby the FX-9590 is not going to upclock but 1/2 the total number of cores on the processor and also you leave behind the AMD cpu's ability to really raise and lower the cpu speed according to load and temps. Ergo...issues. Auto manipulated FSB Frequency can certainly create a problem because the FSB aka HT Reference Frequency is tied to the HT Link Speed; the ram speed; the CPU_NB speed and of course CPU speed. When you manipulate FSB, you manipulate those other speeds also. To do so by 'auto' can be a real shocker with resultant instability.

You get decent heat sink compound installed between your cooler and top of cpu and then check back and we will learn to setup the bios and if at all possible bypass any 'auto' stuff with the inherent ability to do stuff we are not fully aware of. Luck man.

D.O.C.P will allow the loading of XMP memory profile which will set the memory settings accordingly. Because there is an existing memory strap for 1866MHz it should not affect anything else than memory timings, voltage and setting the correct multiplier/strap for memory.
If you had something like DDR 1900MHz it would auto adjust CPU multiplier and Bus Speed accordingly.
Using D.O.C.P does not affect PCI-e frequenzy or the ability to override any of the settings manually.

I agree with Waza, these Fx 8/9xxx chips will usually need more Cpu NB voltage to run above DDR3 1600. Mine needs 1.38v to run at 1866 stable.

Given how many DDR3 modules are still labeled for 1.5v, 1.38v isn't much to complain about :)

[...]

thanks for the welcome :)

i posted in this thread because i was hoping to get some feedback from the OP and those who posted here with the exact same problems.
but now i opened a new thread (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ct-stabilize-sabertooth-fx990-with-amd-fx9590) because i'm not really sure about the BIOS settings.
hope you can help me :)

and if the OP and those with similar problems with the same hardware check back here: i'm still interested in your solutions ;)

re

No worries :)
The H100i is better than the H100 by just enough to barely pass those air coolers, but the H100 is "meh" on AMD.

Has anyone thought about the fact that the sabretooth rev 2 only supports up 140 wats and the 9590 needs 200 I bought one through it in came out of bios and freeze everytime windows tried to load . I already have a fan placed over the vram heatsinks 8 fans a custom water loop. triple radiator. I think the sabretooth wont ever run a 9590 because the sabertooths under powered it cant take the strain of 200 watts. To get past this ive bought an Asus rog . I realise that turning down voltages and so on may let it run but I bought this cpu to run at 5 ghz. Onlly other board Ive heard it run on is the MSI gaming board. Expensive fix but at least it will work. If anyone finds an answer I am very interested to know.

The Sabertooth and the Crosshair both have the same TDP rating and basically the same power capabilities. I would lean toward something else being the issue with your previous combo. I don't own a 9590 but I do have 2x FX-9370s and I know they'll run on my Sabertooth. Perhaps it was a ram issue or maybe a bios problem.

The Sabertooth and the Crosshair both have the same TDP rating and basically the same power capabilities.

Yes but the Crosshair has much better LLC control, so lower voltage/temps overall (had both boards) ?

I had the same issue on my Crosshair, never did figure out if it was incompatible ram or undervolting cause it died soon after I got my old 8370 :(

I still have both and have found the difference to be quite negligible over all.

Hi guys, I have AMD FX9590+Sabertooth 990FX r2.0, PSU SEASONIC 1050W 80+GOLD, cooler Swiftech H220. Since I came to this forum, I make stable setup with decent temperature level. I made adjustments in BIOS DIGI+ and setup, Everything was OK until last week. The CPU freezes computer during normal work (office, youtube, etc), after several hrs. So I tried OCCT and it freezes abt 1-2minutes. So I tried to make adjustments in BIOS with no good results. During the stress test, the temp of CPU raises pretty fast.

So do you think, that I should replace the liquid coolant in my H220? I suppose this can be the reason, because I have not done any changes in BIOS and CPU was stable for long period. The Swiftech H220 is working abt 2,5yrs, in specs they wrote is should withstnad min 3yrs.

I will undreclock CPU to half and will make stress test also I will replace coolant and will let you know. Btw what do you think abt this coolant - Thermaltake Coolant C1000 Green - 1L ?

I would make sure the pump is working in your cooler. You should be able to "feel" it running with your hand or if the block starts to heat up.

Pump is running, but I guess there is a lower volume of coolant, as well as the efficiency will be probably low. I will buy new one. I also tested the CPU freq down to 3GHz+undervoltage and system is running. In default (or tuned) values temperature raised pretty fast and system got frozen.

Check for warranty on the swiftech before you buy another one. I think it's 3 years. They might replace it for the cost of shipping.

Back