• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good watercooling loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC members, lets all slow down and welcome Blender to the forums. First and foremost, we need to slow the heck down and bring everything back to the basics. Everyone has different ideas as I was getting confused reading everyone's posts. Lets make this simple and bring it back to the basics.

Welcome to OCFs Blenderhead!

Please take the time and read out watercooling stickies to understand the basics of water cooling. Once you feel you have understand the basics of it all, please give us a list of the water cooling parts that you think you'll need. We'll assist you from there.

This is your project and only you should be doing the homework for it otherwise you won't get a better gist of things. There's more to it than just grabbing parts and buying it all. Take your time whether it takes days, weeks or months. We've all been there and are here to assist you once you're done researching (build logs, videos etc) and ready with a list. Also, make sure you do case measurements so you know what will fit and what will not.

Thanks, its good to be here. Im doing an loop with ek cpu and gpu block with backplate, xspc 360 and 240 rads, ek ddc pump/res combo, ek csq compression fittings ( 7/16 by 5/8) and red tubing. (not sure what brand yet). Case is a phanteks enthoo pro and i need to figure out how im going to mount the pump/res.

Thanks, its good to be here. Im doing an loop with ek cpu and gpu block with backplate, xspc 360 and 240 rads, ek ddc pump/res combo, ek csq compression fittings ( 7/16 by 5/8) and red tubing. (not sure what brand yet). Case is a phanteks enthoo pro and i need to figure out how im going to mount the pump/res.

Most likely "on top of" the PSU cover unless you want to hide the reservoir & pump. Loop routing becomes "interesting thou" with the Res like that

OR you could go for a Swiftech MCR-Drive 360 rad with build-in Reservoir & Pump and then you dont have to worry about where to put pump & reservoir and thus less about loop routing :)

http://www.swiftech.com/mcr-x20-drive-rev3.aspx

Most likely "on top of" the PSU cover unless you want to hide the reservoir & pump. Loop routing becomes "interesting thou" with the Res like that

OR you could go for a Swiftech MCR-Drive 360 rad with build-in Reservoir & Pump and then you dont have to worry about where to put pump & reservoir and thus less about loop routing :)

http://www.swiftech.com/mcr-x20-drive-rev3.aspx

YES! That way i could mount a tube res to the right on the hard drive bay, and have a run right to the rad/ pump. Rollie you are a lifesaver

Does it matter if you mix and match radiators? Like going with the swiftech 240 and an xspc rx360?

Does it matter if you mix and match radiators? Like going with the swiftech 240 and an xspc rx360?

Nope as long as they aren't made of aluminum. Just make sure you similarly match up the FPI on rads otherwise you'll have an imbalance of the fans. Others fans working harder etc or not being sufficient enough.

Have you thought about a dual bay pump/reservoir combo?

Look around at other builds with that case to give you a better general idea where people have tucked things and what not.

Do you understand the maintenance that needs to be involved and how the plus and negative signs on fluids? Don't skip any steps.

Is your item selection because you're based in the EU or are you from the states?

Im from the states. Bay reservoirs arent my favorite because i want to see my res (im going with a tube res from bitspower) but i think i can fit a tube res without a problem. If i have a 360 on top and a 240 on the bottom would i have the bottom fans pulling air up, and exhausting out of the 360?

I havent thought about draining the system, if the xspc rad has a bleedport at the top i should be able to bleed it at the bottom out of one of the swiftech rad holes. Are 16/10 mm fittings the same as 7/16 x 5/8 fittings?

Last edited:
I think 16mm are more like 1/2 x 5//8". For bleeding, I just pick the easiest fitting to remove. Yes, you can make a specific bleeding zone, like with a quick disconnect or a T or or Y, but just look at the loop and think this is the spot. Quick disconnects are great, but they weigh a ton and really weigh down the loop.

Concentrate on building a loop and not tearing it down first. You need to learn how to build it first. I've been doing this for 10 years and had a leak today building a loop, and I NEVER have leaks. Unless you study very carefully and are very careful, I guarantee your first build will have leaks.

Water itself on the parts won't hurt a thing. I've put parts in a dishwasher before. Water and electricity can possibly take out everything if you aren't very careful.

Thank you for scaring the **** out of me when it comes to leaks. I have no idea what a quick disconnect or a T or a Y is, if im assuming correctly a T or Y is a regular fitting on one end and has a split fitting on the other, ill probably use that but ill have to actually have the build completed like you said. If i use distilled water and a biocide am i looking at about yearly maintenance?

Last edited:
Cant seem to find any 45 degree fittings that are the right size. Any brands you guys know of?

Another question, while looking up biocides i came across an article talking about distilled water and biocides,he said his system lasted two years before he changed the water and he mentioned that Quote: "However, I should note that this loop was all bare copper/brass/plastic blocks, there were not any nickel plated products other than the plated brass barb fittings." A comment also talked about an anti corrosive, will i need this in my system if i want it to last 4 years or so?

Have you read our intro to watercooling? It should have answered your questions.

To help you move along, we recommend you do a 6 month drain and refill the fluid only. Make sure you add a drain point at the lowest point of the loop for convenience. And a annual tear down is recommended as well. This will keep your parts clean and last for a long time. Yes, some folks have gone for a couple of years of doing nothing but we don't advise that to anyone.

You can mix most of the metals as long as its not aluminum.

I hope you know there are plentiful companies out there that you can purchase your H20 parts from. Frozencpu and Performancepcs are the main e-tailer players atm in the states. Frozencpu has the biggest inventory in the globe when it comes to custom pc stuff, especially custom water cooling.

I havent read the intro to watercooling but i will look into it so i dont clog up this thread with dumb questions. Im using performance pcs because they have most of the brands from aquatuning and frozencpu. By tear down you mean flushing the system and cleaning the fittings correct?

Thanks a bunch man! Everyone on this thread i really appreciate the help, ill be back with pictures in the next few months as my build comes together. Anyone new to this thread feel free to post pictures/ ask questions or whatever.

Back