• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to partition my drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Ok, I already know how to partition a drive, but I need to know how many and what name should I give my partitions so I can re-install at ease without loosing my data?
I understand I need a "home" partition but what else?

Thanks in advance,
Doc

I only do a boot and / partition, which is the minimum required. You could break of /home to help you reinstall quickly. I never reinstalled often enough that it mattered.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and swap now that Tyerker mentioned it.

Last edited:
I have found it can also depend on what distro you're using. I usually do the following (on a 128GB SSD)

500MB - /boot
5GB - Swap Partition
50GB - /
70GB - /home

/boot doesn't need to be any bigger than 500MB
Swap is up to your discretion if you even want to use it. I have 16GB of RAM, so I doubt I use the swap too much. But I like to have something there just in case.
Your /home directory is where all your Pictures, Music, Videos, etc go (by default, anyway) so that may likely be your largest partition.
Your root directory (or just / ) kind of depends on how many apps / games you intend to install. You can tell something like Steam to install to /home or do a secondary drive with a larger partition. But by default most programs will take up space on your root directory, so plan accordingly.

I do re-install frequently mostly out of inexperience and it is easier than fixing it (for now at least) I was thinking about using Tyerker's suggestion but making the / directory maybe 100-175gb and my /home around 250gb...the drive is 500gb total, so it should work right?

Then I wouldn't loose all my downloaded distro's and wallpapers if my /home folder is on a seperate artition?

Edit: I think there is a "P" missing there

Here is my 2 disk setup in my laptop

Code:
/dev/sdb5       9.8G  7.7G  1.6G  84% /
/dev/sdb6        12G  6.5G  4.1G  62% /home
/dev/sda5       4.9G  139M  4.5G   3% /tmp
/dev/sda7       628G  410G  186G  69% /big_space
/dev/sda6       9.7G  1.6G  7.6G  18% /var

For you, I would think you could ditch the last 3 partitions. I set this backup when wear and tear was a concern on an SSD so any parts that move a lot (like logs and temp files) I split off into their own partition

Back