• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Outside the case cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killer04

So this is uhh quite interesting. Basically I have laptop that is overheating, I have it on a cooling pad but its not getting enough airflow under it. So what I am looking to do is to build a custom cooler using spare stuff I have laying around along with buying a few things.

I am wanting to have some sort of metal frame that is at least 16x12x4. The height can be changed to support fans but the other dimensions cant go small. I am willing to repurpose something to make the frame but idk what quite I could use. I am also wondering if they have any switches to short a PSU on with. From what I understand it can be done with a wire, but I would like an easy way to switch it on/off whenever. Any suggestions for parts would be greatly appreciated.

As a note, I have propped my current cooler up with random stuff and did notice about 5 degrees celsius drop so I know there is some improvement that can be accomplished.

I found this, but from what I tell it has to be held down to keep the PSU on.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...le_with_OnOff_Switch_KM-03.html?tl=g12c133s88

How hot are we talking?

If you build some huge cooler than it is not really a laptop for it's purpose.

Is it on your lap when you use it and overheats or like on a table?

Maybe replace the DC fan inside of it and clean the dust out of it and replace thermal paste.

Depending on skills, have you opened the laptop and dusted the poor thing out? Maybe reapplied the TIM? (Gotta be careful with all the bendy bits in there).
That would be first on the list for me, take care of the cause instead of addressing symptoms..

That'll teach me to watch tv while answering :D

Ive looked into disassembly stuff for this laptop and would rather not just because so many small things have to be disconnected to get down to the fan and Im afraid I would break something.

When it gets to around 75 degrees is when I start noticing a degradation in graphics. I have a lot of spare stuff laying around a PSU, some fans, and really am trying to figure out the mounting for all of it, the wiring to start it, and then just getting some molex connectors for the fans. I may add a light on it or something just to be flashy.

If you want to pay some cash and pay for shipping both ways I would be willing to do it.

But if it is older than 4 years it may not be worthwhile - but then again everyone loves there laptop.

Is there anything preventing you from building a desktop in the future? Those are typically easier and cheaper to maintain.

If you want to pay some cash and pay for shipping both ways I would be willing to do it.

But if it is older than 4 years it may not be worthwhile - but then again everyone loves there laptop.

Is there anything preventing you from building a desktop in the future? Those are typically easier and cheaper to maintain.

The cost and that Im a college student who occasionally needs to take a laptop to class.

What kind of laptop is it? Some of them really aren't too difficult. On my wife's all I did was take the back cover off, remove the heat pipe, then a big gob of hair/dust/you name it. Re-did the TIM and it was good as new.

What kind of laptop is it? Some of them really aren't too difficult. On my wife's all I did was take the back cover off, remove the heat pipe, then a big gob of hair/dust/you name it. Re-did the TIM and it was good as new.

^ This.

It's much cheaper to clean it than build some crazy cooling set up.

Buy a tube of Thermal paste (5 bucks), some rubbing alcohol (2bucks) and we can help you with the rest.

I agree with all who recommend the cleaning bit. YouTube is an awesome resource to show you how to take your laptop apart.

If you really can't or are not willing to take it apart, I would vacuum and compressed air the thing to remove as much dust and hair as you can. There is no doubt that the real problem is that your heatsink fins are clogged. Building a cooling system may be a fun project but it is not addressing the real problem and is therefore a waste of effort.

Others are correct. For about 70% of laptops, you do not have to take the whole thing apart. Sometimes there is only an access panel that will get you to the fan, even if you do not want to replace the thermal past. Some laptops have a large enough "access" bay where you can remove the heatpipe w/o dissasembly.

I would suggest to rewatch the video and see how hard it would be to get into the fan area. If you don't mind, what is the model of the computer?

I have an Asus N53SM and from the looks of it to get to it all I have to remove the keyboard, touchpad, front panel, then some other stuff, and then im finally at the fan.... Since it appears there are many small connections involved I am not really willing to risk it considering I need this computer for school

2-3 short blasts with compressed air in the exhaust, then hold the vacuum cleaner to it.
Repeat 2-3 times... do not overdo the blasting, do not keep the vacuum cleaner sucking on the grill for long or you'll kill the HS fan.. which means you would really have to open it up.

Depending on skills, have you opened the laptop and dusted the poor thing out? Maybe reapplied the TIM? (Gotta be careful with all the bendy bits in there).
That would be first on the list for me, take care of the cause instead of addressing symptoms..

That'll teach me to watch tv while answering :D

Yup. I spent alot of time trying to cool a fired up CPU that shorted in the long run. My friend warned me about it.

he said "You're just giving opiates to a cancer patient"
same thing

Well I'm also on the blow out the CPU with compressed air. But I will also make a effort to answer the question you proposed :)

You can experment on the cheep to you find something that works good for your laptop. I personally have used a carbord box that I cut out the top so the laptop fit in seal snug. I then put a 60mm fan powered off the latops usb plug 5v. It was a 12v fan but it still turned and did move some air quietly. I got the box from the post office so it was free and you can get a couple, 3 or 4, in case you make a mistake. Once you got it laid out you will see beter what you may need as far as in if you want to go to a metal frame. I have also seen cheep ones out a book binder, it's all in how you cut it out.

laptop_stand1.jpg

laptop.jpg

0819091439.jpg

As far as turning on a Power supply goes;

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/

Back