• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about swapping board/cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaiserh

Registered
Hello

I seeked help here back in 2005 ,and it was resolved

Now I am trying to swap my old gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 board and AMD dual core cpu 4200 with a new board.

New board is Kontron KTQ67 embedded motherboard with a I3 cpu on it ,this board given to me by a friend of mine ,I looked this board up and looks to be a top of the line board.

My question is

Will it work as a home pc ? I have 2 optical sata drives ,3 500gb sata hard drives,a brand new Corsair 750w power supply , extra case fans, and cpu fans and my old case .This board alread has a onboard graphic and I would like to use it until I figure out if I want a purchase a PCIE card ,I do not play any games.

I do not have the RAM yet and I am looking for a good deal

Here are the specs

Form Factor ATX
Dimensions (H x W x D) 12,0" x 7,5"
30,48 cm x 19,05 cm
CPU Supports:
Intel® Core i7/i5/i3 2C
Intel Celeron G540, 2.5GHz, dual Core, 2MB Cache, 65W
Intel Pentium G850, 2.90GHz, dual Core, 3MB Cache, 65W
Intel Core i3-2120 Processor, 3.30GHz, dual Core
Intel Core i5-2400 Processor, 3,10GHz, quad Core
Intel Core i7-2600 Processor, 3,40GHz, quad Core
Chipset Intel® Q67
Main Memory Up to 32 GB DDR3 (max. 4x 8GB)
Front Side Bus Up to 20 Gb/s each direction, full duplex
DMI 2.0 interface to PCH
Four lanes in each direction;
Graphics Controller integrated
Graphics 2x Display port
1x PCIe x16
1x LVDS (optional)
1x CRT
DB15 VGA
Ethernet Controller Intel 82579LM LAN
Ethernet 3 x GbE-LAN, (1x AMT 8.0 support)
Hard Disk 6x SATA interfaces (4x SATA 150/300 and 2x SATA 600) w. RAID 0/1/5/10
mSATA interface for SSD storage
Parallel Port 1x LPT Parallel port in FFC connector
Flash Onboard n/a
PCI 5x PCI 32bits/33MHz
PCI Express / PCI support 1x PCIe x16
1x PCIe x4 (in a x16 slot)
Mini-PCI 1x mini PCI-Express
USB 14 x USB 2.0
(6x USB on Rear I/O)
IEEE 1394 Firewire n/a
Serial 4x RS232
Rear I/O
Audio Controller VIA 1708B
7.1 Channel HD Audio
stacked 2x3 mini Jack tower
Keyboard PS2 Mouse/Keyboard connector
Special Features DAC up to 160 GPIO
TPM 1.2 support
KT embedded feature connector with ADC

BIOS AMI
Power Management ACPI 3.0
Operation Temperature 0°C - 60°C (32°F - 140°F)
Operating System WES7 32/64bit
Linux
VxWorks

Thank you for reading it

You won't be gaming very well with an i3. You want a quad core for decent gaming performance in today's world. There are exceptions, like an overclocked G3258 pentium at about 4.8Ghz which can keep up with a stock low end i5 in some games, but that CPU wont work on your board.

I'd look for a quad core i5. Maybe a 2500 (non K) would be good. Then you'd have good gaming performance. Your i3 is dual core. Not very impressive.

You should be able to find an i5 2500 for under $150. Your PSU should work fine with this board. When you're looking at GPUs I'd suggest something like a GTX 750Ti or GTX760.

If, however, you are not looking to game, the system stock will be fine using the integrated video on the CPU for normal office and web tasks including streaming video.

it does have 6 sata ports that you will need and it looks like it will work fine for surfing and general dutys and it also supports plenty of cpu's to give you options.

thank you for your replies

No I will not be gaming on this one , I3 is already on it ,all I need is ram ,I will mostly use it as a home PC ,not a whole lot ,basic web and streaming .

What is embedded ?

kontron-ktq67-flex-atx-intel-i3-i5-i7-lga1155-motherboard-layout.jpg

Better hope your PSU has 4+4 pin CPU power rather than 8 pin or its not going to fit. That big purple cap is in the way.

Also the board only has VGA out (ew). If you have no discrete GPU, you're going to be looking at a disgusting VGA signal. Not very impressive.

Should be just fine. Vga out works fine as long as your monitor supports it. That cpu is plenty for non-gaming use.

Back