• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am stumped! What could be causing this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blazenarrow

I'll just cut to the chase:

I am listening to music (via iTunes) and editing photos in Lightroom 5 (photo editing program made by Adobe). When I start editing the photos in Lightroom, the music skips/stutters, correlating perfectly with processes in Lightroom.

I have a 4670K, 16 gb ddr3, OS is on 120 gb Samsung 840 pro, the music and photos are stored on a 1 tb WD black, Lightroom is installed on the SSD.

What could be causing this, and can it be remedied aside from putting all my photos and music on an SSD? :shrug:

Thank you for any input!

EDIT: It actually only happens when I zoom in on a photo, or browse through a lot of photos, viewing one after the other.

I'm not sure how to tell how much is being used exactly, but in resource manager and task manager it doesn't go above 3-4 gb.

EDIT: and there seems to be 12 gb available, while when this occurs the CPU peaks close to 100%, but I would assume this is normal and wouldn't cause the stutter. My guess is it's the hard drive? But is it faulty, or is that just because the OS is on a different one?

You're iTunes are being played via the MB sound chip or via a sound card? It appears that you zoom in on a photo (GPU related) and sound skips, making me think the signals are both running through an HDMI cable (your monitor would be getting some sound signal whether your discrete speakers or headphones are being used or not)? Unless you've got a discrete sound card which says that the hiccup shouldn't occur. The actual processing of photos is done by your CPU, but the usage of the CPU during the playing of sound wouldn't consume much CPU bandwidth. Do you have Sound Settings software that will allow you to switch on/off outputs? I'd look at that along with disabling unneeded background services.

Try setting affinity for the iTunes to 1 core and affinity to the rest of the cores for Lightroom and see what that does for you.

You're iTunes are being played via the MB sound chip or via a sound card? It appears that you zoom in on a photo (GPU related) and sound skips, making me think the signals are both running through an HDMI cable (your monitor would be getting some sound signal whether your discrete speakers or headphones are being used or not)? Unless you've got a discrete sound card which says that the hiccup shouldn't occur. The actual processing of photos is done by your CPU, but the usage of the CPU during the playing of sound wouldn't consume much CPU bandwidth. Do you have Sound Settings software that will allow you to switch on/off outputs? I'd look at that along with disabling unneeded background services.

I am using an Asus Xonar Essence STX, my monitor is a Dell UltraSharp U2412M, connected to the 7870 via DVI.

What is Sound Setting software and can you explain switching on/off outputs?

Thanks for you help!

Try setting affinity for the iTunes to 1 core and affinity to the rest of the cores for Lightroom and see what that does for you.

So sorry, but what is affinity?

I should add, it's only happening when I zoom in, or look through an album of photos, going from on to the next. As I progress, it stutters each time it switches to a new photo. This suggest to me it's something about accessing the hard drive.

If your CPU utilization is near 100% as you said, that would be the first place I'd look for the cause of this issue. Have you monitored temps to see if thermal throttling could be taking place. We know nothing about your CPU cooling. What is the motherboard make and model?

Well just shett...

I should add, it's only happening when I zoom in, or look through an album of photos, going from on to the next. As I progress, it stutters each time it switches to a new photo. This suggest to me it's something about accessing the hard drive.

If you believe the above...then move a large folder of images to the SSD and edit frm there and see if the sound skips. That should cut thru the BS.
RGone...

If your CPU utilization is near 100% as you said, that would be the first place I'd look for the cause of this issue. Have you monitored temps to see if thermal throttling could be taking place. We know nothing about your CPU cooling. What is the motherboard make and model?

It's a asrock extreme 6 z87, i'm using coolermaster hyper 212, temps never go above 50-60. There is no throttling going on during these tasks.

If you believe the above...then move a large folder of images to the SSD and edit frm there and see if the sound skips. That should cut thru the BS.
RGone...

This isn't so simple with lightroom.

Back