• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand agnostic... new cpu, FX-8320 or Devil's Canyon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think because I will probably go the Extreme 6 as I dont know that I will personally ever notice the performance difference

I am thinking of a pair of GTX 760s possibly the 4GB versions

What resolution are you running?
Any single-monitor (read: 1440p and lower) would be better served by a single 780.

+1 atminside, skip the 770.
I use the 760's in sli because i can split them up in other machines and the bang for the buck factor.

I will have 4 - 6 monitors for work. Ideally i would use at least 3 fpr gaming

1080p monitors?

I run 5760x1080 on my 780 without a hitch.
Definitely skip two 760s for that, they don't have the memory bandwidth.

I won't knock others for recommending going the intel route. The only thing I will say is if you're running high resolution setup (3 1080 monitors), a single r9 290 is a solid performer. 4gb VRAM, the 512 bit bandwidth to actually use the 4gb. Not to mention it both 1). beats or goes toe to toe with the standard gtx 780 in gaming for less $ usually and 2). keeps up with a gtx 780 ti for $300 less.

Also, anyone know what is going on with X99 lga 2011 socket and Haswell-E? I'm team AMD right now, but with am3+ socket pretty much dead, Will be looking for alternatives soon.

I won't knock others for recommending going the intel route. The only thing I will say is if you're running high resolution setup (3 1080 monitors), a single r9 290 is a solid performer. 4gb VRAM, the 512 bit bandwidth to actually use the 4gb. Not to mention it both 1). beats or goes toe to toe with the standard gtx 780 in gaming for less $ usually and 2). keeps up with a gtx 780 ti for $300 less.

Also, anyone know what is going on with X99 lga 2011 socket and Haswell-E? I'm team AMD right now, but with am3+ socket pretty much dead, Will be looking for alternatives soon.

It's still coming. Entry level chip is a 6C/12T for a little over $400 US. Octo-core is the Extreme chip at over $1000. Still, can't argue with DDR4.

1080p monitors?

I run 5760x1080 on my 780 without a hitch.
Definitely skip two 760s for that, they don't have the memory bandwidth.

Ya just 1080p monitors. Can the 780 do 6 monitors or just 4? (The last video card I bought was a GTX 460 so my info is way behind) I thought only Eyefinity supported 6 monitors on 1 card?

My problem with the r9 290 is that my daily driver is Linux and AMD has garbage support. It's supposedly getting better, and fairly decent for the more expensive cards, but the last 2-3 mid ranged cards I have had in the last 3-5 years have sucked. I can either have 2 displays with no sound and no tearing or I can have sound with no tearing. Granted I haven't tried AMD in over a year now, but it seems to be to be an awfully big gamble on such an expensive card (read anything more than $50 is too expensive to me if experimenting with video drivers).

I will take your feedback and do some research, maybe I will post in the Linux section here and see if anyone has decent experience with AMD nowadays. Conversely, I have yet to have a single problem with nVidia's drivers ever. Sure they arent perfect but my stuff always works

Ya just 1080p monitors. Can the 780 do 6 monitors or just 4? (The last video card I bought was a GTX 460 so my info is way behind) I thought only Eyefinity supported 6 monitors on 1 card?

My problem with the r9 290 is that my daily driver is Linux and AMD has garbage support. It's supposedly getting better, and fairly decent for the more expensive cards, but the last 2-3 mid ranged cards I have had in the last 3-5 years have sucked. I can either have 2 displays with no sound and no tearing or I can have sound with no tearing. Granted I haven't tried AMD in over a year now, but it seems to be to be an awfully big gamble on such an expensive card (read anything more than $50 is too expensive to me if experimenting with video drivers).

I will take your feedback and do some research, maybe I will post in the Linux section here and see if anyone has decent experience with AMD nowadays. Conversely, I have yet to have a single problem with nVidia's drivers ever. Sure they arent perfect but my stuff always works

The 780 can do 4 monitors, but the iGPU of the 4790K can drive at least two more.
There's a mode on the Extreme6 (and most 1150 boards) to allow for concurrent usage of nVidia and Intel.

Keep in mind that although a 780 will do 4 monitors for gaming, you won't get great performance. 4 1080P monitors is equivalent to 4K resolution. In many demanding games you'll be reduced to a crawl for framerates. Even on low detail you still won't get stellar framerates.

IMO, if you want to game in 3K+ you really need 2 GPUs. 2 powerful GPUs. 2 R9 290X for example would be really good, or 2 780Ti. That way you can maintain a good framerate.

Keep in mind that although a 780 will do 4 monitors for gaming, you won't get great performance. 4 1080P monitors is equivalent to 4K resolution. In many demanding games you'll be reduced to a crawl for framerates. Even on low detail you still won't get stellar framerates.

IMO, if you want to game in 3K+ you really need 2 GPUs. 2 powerful GPUs. 2 R9 290X for example would be really good, or 2 780Ti. That way you can maintain a good framerate.

My 780 does perfectly fine for 3x1080p :shrug:

It's still coming. Entry level chip is a 6C/12T for a little over $400 US. Octo-core is the Extreme chip at over $1000. Still, can't argue with DDR4.

Oh wow they're looking to push ddr4 on x99? Hmm. Might have to wait a few motherboard generations then. New tech is always messed up in one way or another. But wait. You're saying the 6 core is the low end chip? The $1000 chip is what? 8core16T? If so wow.

6 core CPUs will be probably cheaper but all platform will cost more. I don't expect to see cheap DDR4 for couple of months. Not to mention that first DDR4 series will be probably slower than current DDR3.

Back