• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand agnostic... new cpu, FX-8320 or Devil's Canyon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I do play some games, but I am not looking to have the best CPU out there.

My main concern is bang for buck and possible future proofing. I fire up a vm from time to time, but mostly I use my server for that. I am looking to go with nVidia graphics if that makes a difference.

I appreciate any feedback

What budget are you looking at for CPU/mobo (and possibly RAM)?

AM3+ has been around for a bit. No upgrade path for that at all from this point.

From FX series cpus if your currently running, an upgrade would be a 3770K or larger cpu, the 3770K being old already but still packing a huge punch. You'll get single thread performance you'd desire with Intel as well.

Not saying AMD is bad, it's just getting to be old and falling ever so much further behind Intel when it comes to raw performance.

AM3+ has been around for a bit. No upgrade path for that at all from this point.

From FX series cpus if your currently running, an upgrade would be a 3770K or larger cpu, the 3770K being old already but still packing a huge punch. You'll get single thread performance you'd desire with Intel as well.

Not saying AMD is bad, it's just getting to be old and falling ever so much further behind Intel when it comes to raw performance.

Raw performance isnt as big of a deal as most of this will be offloaded on the video card anyways. However from the sound of it, it doesnt sound like there is a clear upgrade path for the future.

I was looking at the FX-8630 for example. 8 cores for ~$150 seems pretty attractive to me. I am still living on a first gen I7 if thats any indication of how much CPU performance is a bottle neck for me

1st gen intel is still just as good as AMDs offerings at this time to some degree. My brother runs a 930 I7 and it performans well at 4ghz oc.

Personally, grab a 4790K/Z97 Extreme6 combo.

What RAM do you have right now?
Number of sticks, capacity, speed, timing, and voltage.

Personally, grab a 4790K/Z97 Extreme6 combo.

What RAM do you have right now?
Number of sticks, capacity, speed, timing, and voltage.

I am not going to be scavenging from my current build. It will be repurposed for other things. The DDR3 that I have is also from the first gen I7 era so I would be open to suggestions for this as well. For RAM I am actually watching for sales because its damn expensive in the last few months.

The last time I bought DDR3 for my home server I got Rip-jaws and I spent ~$300 for 64G

I am not going to be scavenging from my current build. It will be repurposed for other things. The DDR3 that I have is also from the first gen I7 era so I would be open to suggestions for this as well. For RAM I am actually watching for sales because its damn expensive in the last few months.

The last time I bought DDR3 for my home server I got Rip-jaws and I spent ~$300 for 64G

2x4GB Recommendation

2x8GB Recommendation

Whatever you get try to stick to 1866/2133 CL9 for the best performance per dollar.

I checked out the Mobo you recommended, maybe I misunderstood but it looks like the SLI option becomes 8/8 instead of 2 x 16s

I checked out the Mobo you recommended, maybe I misunderstood but it looks like the SLI option becomes 8/8 instead of 2 x 16s

It does.
That said, GPUs don't use the full PCIe bus. The difference on XFire 7970s was about 1% from PCIe 3.0 x16/x16 to PCIe 3.0 x8/x8.
Same difference for GTX 680s.

if you MUST have 16x16 pcie for sli go with the extreme9, but only if you MUST, that's what I have but I run gtx 760's in sli in the overcloctagon and can't give up one bit.

if you MUST have 16x16 pcie for sli go with the extreme9, but only if you MUST, that's what I have but I run gtx 760's in sli in the overcloctagon and can't give up one bit.

Yeah, you need every % you can get for that!
Most people can't justify the extra ~$80 for a board that supports x16/x16 though.

Don't go AMD. Friends don't let friends go FX. Dead socket. No upgrade path. If you get Z97 you can upgrade to Broadwell. Also, IMO, the 4790K is a much better CPU than the 8320.

ASRock Extreme 6 is a nice board. 2 M.2 slots on it. If you populate the Ultra M.2 slot it cuts down even single GPUs to 8X though.

If you really want the PCIE performance intact get a board with a PLX chip for true 16/16 performance.

I think because I will probably go the Extreme 6 as I dont know that I will personally ever notice the performance difference

I am thinking of a pair of GTX 760s possibly the 4GB versions

the only time i see anything from 16x16 from 16x8 is benchmarking.
I like my gtx760's very much, plenty of power for me, never get to loud, clock very well.
I'm old and blind, 1080 is tops for me so i have the 2 gigs.

Back