• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything new?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ive been very busy with other aspects of my life lately and have not been keeping an eye on the tech sector as closely as I used to. Is there anything new on the horizon as far as CPU tech goes?

As I recall from last year we should be looking at an Intel "Haswell Refresh" this year, and AMD has been tight lipped on the entire topic.

So whats the scoop?

Z99 will be the new extreme chipset, with an octocore processor and ddr4. Haswell refresh is already out, called devils canyon.

Broadwell I believe will be out around end of the year or early next.

AMD released another APU, and an AIO cooler with an FX chip and seemed way too excited about it? :shrug:

And in forum news, a lot of AMD fans jumped on to the Intel ship.

Tbh. there is nothing really new on the market. Haswell refresh is kinda disappointment. Most of these chips OC like "old" haswells. Pentium G3258 seem nice just because it's unlocked but most of them are not overclocking high or need high voltage.
AMD stays in the same spot for last 3 years+ so there is simply nothing interesting.
New enthusiast line from Intel will be probably more expensive than it used to be. CPUs will cost more than 2011 series and DDR4 will have its premiere so for sure will be expensive ( and not fast ).

If you are thinking about upgrade then best will be wait at least half year. If I'm right then in next 8-10 months we should see about 3 new CPU series.

Back