• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Headset Recommendations.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Horrerblade

Hey guys i am looking for some gaming headsets sub $120. I currently have the G930 from Logitech but the mic is breaking so any recommendations? Looking for something with a a replaceable wire as i often break that. Obviously the cheap the better, thanks for any help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1D916J8006

plus whatever mic you want, the antlion modmic would be best but an 8 dollar zalman clip on would get the job done.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

Disclaimer, i dont own those headphones, just heard good things about them. I have used sennheiser hd598s and beyerdynamic dt770 pros, i managed to get both of them on sale for close to your price range but it takes patience. I paid 140 for the senns and 130 for the beyers. For my big head the senns are noticably more comfortable, but i enjoy the sound of the beyers enough more that i use them full time.

Either set is so far above and beyond the logitech 930, which i used for around a year, that it changed how immersive games are. Everything changes, all the little sounds and nuances, positioning, audio clues, things like that.

How long have you had your G930?
They have a three year warranty, and Logitech has one of the best customer service departments around.

As you can see, not much recommendation for "gaming headset". Most "gaming headsets" are usually grotesquely over priced for the sound quality you get, and focus way more on comfort and style more than ergonomics, quality (both iconstruction and sound), while boosting bass in a "beats by dre"fashion.

If you're dead set on a gaming head set, I owned razer kraken, tiamat, steel series Siberia v2, and astro a40. Of them, if you forced me to choose one, I'd get the Siberia again. The tiamat was horribly disappointing and the a40 was just not good enough for its cost.

Beyond that, dollar for dollar you get much better quality and sound with legit cans. Those nvx are really well regarded.

None of those headsets are all that great. I'd highly suggest a Creative Aurvana Live! + Antlion Modlic. Total cost should be $110. It will blow the other options away in the areas of sound quality, mic quality, and comfort. Just don't throw them across the room when someone f***s up on a raidboss. :p

The CAL!'s weakest aspect is their sound isolation, at which they are pretty bad. If you want better sound isolation, grab the $100 (have gone up $20 since I got mine) XPT100 instead. My review of the XPT100 and comparison if it and the CAL. Purchase them from Sonic Electronics on Amazon or Ebay.

If I had to suggest a pre-made gaming headset, I'd tell you to grab a Plantronics Gamecom 380 for ~$50.

Last edited:
I see.. I have a fat face so that may not be good. How are the 380's when it comes to sound? I mean can you like hear people sneaking up from behind you and stuff?

I see.. I have a fat face so that may not be good. How are the 380's when it comes to sound? I mean can you like hear people sneaking up from behind you and stuff?

I have a couple friends that own them, but I don't have any firsthand experience with this particular set.They are happy with them, and I can say that the mic quality is good - definitely nothing close to my ModMic, but it costs almost as much as the Gamecom 380 itself. A bit of cross-referencing and research reveals that most people prefer them to similarly priced Razers and Logitechs.

If I were to get a regualr pair of headphones then the Antlion Modmic wouldnt that be like an extra wire and I'd have to worry about them sticking to the headphones right and not falling off. Seems like a pain.

If you put the modmic on your headphones, it does indeed add a second cord. I would use some electrical tape at 3-inch intervals to attach the mic cord to the headphone cable. The modmic is actually held in place pretty firmly by the magnets...you'd have to try pretty hard to knock it off.

I actually mounted my mike on the base of my monitor, pointing directly at my mouth. Works quite well.

On a whim, I bought "Beats by Dr. Dre" in the airport, I fly all the time.

I really like them, but I have no frame of reference as to what I bought. Looking back, I'm sure if I had did some research I would have found a better product, but they are very comfortable and help me sleep on the plane.

Are these viable gaming headphones Darknecron?

Back