• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2 business days were between its arrival on Friday and Tuesday (Part of Friday, all of monday, part of Tuesday).

1 day turnaround on looking at the board? Color me impressed (no sarcasm there).

So the worst thing that happened is they did not start working on it until 4 business days later (again part of the 16th, 17th, 18th, 21st, and part of today) which was 'forced' by your phone call.

I am sorry you had to follow up today. But that is the only place where I see that they really went wrong. The socket damage picture is a curiosity though. Did you ship with the cover on the socket?

Hopefully you get it back soon though. Good luck! :)

EDIT: In your other thread, people already said you are expecting too much from this RMA process..............People tried to properly set your expectations so you would not be disappointed.
Yes I shipped it with the socket cover in place per the instructions to avoid any more damage. It is my fault for summarizing the events and just linking the other thread. I had suspected that the socket retention was to tight, I actually spent several hours straightening most of the pins in the picture that I posted. I then replaced the CPU and tightened the lever again, many of the same pins bent again as well as a few others that were not. Even so, when I sent it there was less damage visible then the picture that I posted. Bad socket, taller CPU, I really just didn't know what to think.

Maybe I expected to much, sure but why say five day turnaround plus transit if it isn't going to happen. They have had it since the Friday the 11th one hour after opening and they had not started repairs. If they take as long to ship it will be almost a month.

If it was the retention bracket damage, a GROUP of pins would be smashed, and in a pattern I would expect... not random though? I dont know...

It has literally been 6 full business days since they had the board and 11 days in total. I would be floored if took them 22 days to repair and ship...

...especially with your follow up.

Id give them until COB thursday then follow up on the status if you have not heard anything. Hang in there man. :)

You already said you thought I damaged it, fair enough. They say they did nothing but remove it from the box, Fair enough. The pictures say different. I won't be the last person this happens to.

I get it, you like Gigabyte. This has not been a pleasant experience for me, however it will be my last. Here are the pictures, judge for yourself.

Which one did you take?

Top or bottom. (I assume the top since it's not blurry and angled weird :screwy: )

To me, they look the same. :shrug:
Not trying to be an instigator, just saying the look the same.

$45 ain't bad, but was shipping costly?

Priority Flat rate (2-3 days) is a bit less than than $13 as that mobo should easily fit in that box with some padding.... at least, that is the cheapest way to get it there in 2 days.

Which one did you take?

Top or bottom. (I assume the top since it's not blurry and angled weird :screwy: )

To me, they look the same. :shrug:
Not trying to be an instigator, just saying the look the same.

$45 ain't bad, but was shipping costly?
On IE it shows up as left and right, but the one I took also includes the retention bolt. The shipping was like 12.35 plus 3.50 for tape and A few dollars for more insurance, so only around twenty bucks to ship it, I think.
Maybe it is just me but I can zoom in on them and I can clearly see there is a lot of damage on the left side below the center cutout where the pins part. In the picture they sent it also appears that the top area the pins are out of line in whereas they should look uniform. Maybe it is because I am looking at them on a 32 inch screen.

Anyway, I am just going to let it go, pay the money and wait some more. Just hope my Asus mobo lasts long enough to get it back.

On IE it shows up as left and right, but the one I took also includes the retention bolt. The shipping was like 12.35 plus 3.50 for tape and A few dollars for more insurance, so only around twenty bucks to ship it, I think.
Maybe it is just me but I can zoom in on them and I can clearly see there is a lot of damage on the left side below the center cutout where the pins part. In the picture they sent it also appears that the top area the pins are out of line in whereas they should look uniform. Maybe it is because I am looking at them on a 32 inch screen.

Anyway, I am just going to let it go, pay the money and wait some more. Just hope my Asus mobo lasts long enough to get it back.

I do see some discrepancies in the photo they sent you...
A few pins look slightly bent, but it could also be the lighting as well. The one they sent you is too bright.

Nothing you can do now I guess anyway, other than wait for the board.

Time to sum up this thread as I received notification of shipment, scheduled for delivery 7/30/14.

Let's start with the Good. Gigabyte can replace the socket, it really can't get better than that right? Well, yes it can. They can replace a socket for 45.00 including shipping back to you. Now I have to admit that that is a great price for saving a 189.00 board. They are located in California and CS reps' speak good English and are probably at the physical location where the RMA goes. While I don't feel that I caused the damage and the pictures bear that out, there is certainly blame on my part as I noticed that there were longer pins and that the plating had bridged a few together before I ever installed it. I should have RMA'ed it before placing the CPU in the socked, so yeah. my bad there.

Now the bad,
The turn around time is normally 5 working days plus transit time. If you need faster service, please contact our customer service representative via email.
This did not apply to me and hopefully it was just a glitch in the system that it took longer despite contacting them at least three times. For me it was a 13 days, or 9 day turn around if you only count working days. From finding that I had socket damage and starting the RMA to projected delivery for me will be 27 days. While not totally unreasonable, I would not consider it a good turn around time. If you keep your expectations very low in the beginning, you may not be disappointed.

Keep in mind that I have been working with and on computers since IBM mainframes took an entire floor of a building to house, everything was in PC dos and have never had to do an RMA. I have only had one other Gigabyte product before, the 8RDA+ IIRC and had no issues with it but it was heavily modified with heat sinks as it was known for running hotter then other boards at the time. Since Abit went out of business I have used only Asus products and made this purchase ironically to avoid having problems like this. I will probably go with another Asus next time or even an Asrock but perhaps the board will surprise me. I may do a short review once I get the board up and running

Last edited:
The pictures are perplexing, but, in the end, everything got fixed. Enjoy your new board! :)

Yes they are but still like I said, I should have RMA'ed before installing so as far as that I can't hold it against them. I was very frustrated during the process and perhaps I have been the exception and not the rule. I am still hoping it is a stellar board as the big honkin heat sinks make it the heaviest board I have ever seen and I believe in heat sinks.

Awsome! Glad it got sorted out and you're getting pretty much a new board. Enjoy!

Btw, the 8RDA+ was Epox , not Abit, but I bet you knew that ;)

LOL, I thought it was a gigabyte, still it was a great board once it was sinked to death. Now that I think about it the Giga was a socket 754, can't be sure now as I just threw out a couple of dozen boards a few months ago, only saved the CPU's because they don't take up a whole shelf in the closet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back