• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build for an architect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fmusatoiu

Dear all,

I want to build a new budget desktop for an architect that uses mostly the following programs:
CAD, VRay, 3D Max and Photoshop. (this is going to be a home desktop so I'm not looking at the professional components that are extremely expensive)
I'm not an expert so I really need your advice.

I was thinking about 2 configurations:
Config1:
- CPU: i7-4820k (founded on discount ~250e)
- MB: GA-X79-UP4 (it seemed ok for it's price ~200e)
- RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 16Gb (4x4Gb) 2400MHz CL11 XMP

Config2:
-CPU: i5-4670k
-MB: Asus z87-a (not sure if the difference in price from the K version is worth it)
-RAM: Crosair Vengeance Pro 16Gb (2x8Gb) 1866 CL9

Common parts:
-GPU: Palit GTX 770 2Gb JetStream
-SSD: Seagate 600 120Gb (was on sale, I was thinking on the kingstone one which was the same price)
-cooler: CollerMaster Hyper 212EVO (for some overclocking of the CPU)
-HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
-PSU: Sirtec EP-700 700W [80+ Bronze] (good price ~55e)
-Case: Zalman Z9

The config1 price is about 1150e and the config2 price is about 1000e.

I will play around with some overclocking of the CPU and GPU for better results.

The need for this Desktop is mostly for the 3d rendering of the building plans which is done 3-4 times a week.
For the first config, I'm not really sure about the MB and the next MB from ASUS is +100e and that config is already over the budget and I do not know if the difference between the config1 and 2 are that noticeable in the above programs.

Thank you all for all of your inputs,
Florin

Well, for a budget build, I wouldn't go X79 platform... the Z97 is fine.

I am not sure about th equality of a Sirtec PSU though... stick with something well known like Corsair (at worst, its more than serviceable) and Seasonic(good or great).

What is this "e" money you speak of? Where are you from?

Get a 4770K or 4790K with a Z97 Extreme6 or GA-Z97X-UD3H.

Save yourself some headache and get an 840 EVO SSD.
The cheap ones are just that... cheap.

I've never heard of a Sirtec PSU... Check out a Seasonic G 550W.

Is Highpower even good? OCZ units were not regarded, for the most part as great... serviceable sure.

That is correct. different mobo socket, different CPU... those were already parts of your options.. not sure why that seemed like a shock, LOL!

Thanks guys!
Clarification:
e= Euro
Sirtec = HighPower.. also the brand that makes the units for OCZ ( http://www.overclock.net/t/1412433/highpower-sirtec-power-supplies-information-thread )
I know the 840 EVO is the best but I've read some good reviews on the Seagate and it was on sales (half the price of the samsung)

Regarding the Z97 MOBO, these means a different CPU also because this CPU is on 2011

HighPower is pretty good.

Honestly, I've used cheaper SSDs than the Samsungs, not worth it.

I recommended CPUs to go with the Z97 mobo.
You'll spend less and still get equal performance with easier overclocking capability.

I run cfd and cad on my rig, get the 4790k/z97 at the least, doe's you cad program use the cpu to compute? if so a 770 is right out, you need to be looking at quadro cards.

if your cad program includes realview and/or real time shading your budget needs to double, gaming cards will not get the job done for you the quadro 6000 will be the choice.

Last edited:
I'll go with the 4790k the Z97 looks safer for me to play with. (I've seen to many problems on forums with 2011) and also I'll go with the 840 EVO.

About the video card, for now I'll use the Intel 4600 integrated one (because it appears that this was is approved and recommended by Autodesk and the 770 isn't)

Thanks guys for your help

I run cfd and cad on my rig, get the 4790k/z97 at the least, doe's you cad program use the cpu to compute? if so a 770 is right out, you need to be looking at quadro cards.

if your cad program includes realview and/or real time shading your budget needs to double, gaming cards will not get the job done for you the quadro 6000 will be the choice.

the realview and real time shading means the actions done when working in CAD, at the rendering the CPU does all the work and the GPU doesn't really matter. Is this correct?

the realview and real time shading means the actions done when working in CAD, at the rendering the CPU does all the work and the GPU doesn't really matter. Is this correct?

You're mostly correct. For 2d Renderings, its almost 100% cpu based. For 3d renderings; something I imagine an architect would enjoy having, you very much would like having a graphics card.

Back