• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethereum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have no btc to spend, but if I had at least 100, id consider, still risky imo

I must admit I chipped in a bit. I'm not viewing it as an investment as much as a crowd funding thing.

The blockchain is some really cool technology and you can a lot more with it than a currency. There are alt-coins doing interesting stuff like NXT and Namecoin. Ethereum takes the ideas and generalizes them. Rather than having a bunch of blockchains with their own special added functionality just make blockchain-as-a-platform. That could be really cool.

It seems like ethereum is moving forward and mining is supposed to start soon. I am wondering if anyone here will be mining it. It seems that there is documentation about the algorithm and GPU mining will be good when it goes live. Has anyone looked in to getting it set up?
https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/197/mining-faq-live-updates

We shall see how this goes...
Might actually be worth it since a lot of miners have sold off....

BUT, many many miners are folding for curecoin, and the PPD is increasing suggesting they are getting more miners folding, or better GPU's...
Something to consider I suppose.

But no, I won't be in this. I may watch though :popcorn:

It looks like it will be GPU focused mining and then change to Pos. So probably no asic mining. I will mine it at the start, though they are severely limiting mining rewards to 10% at the start. I set up a Ubuntu 64 machine and installed a current go and a c++ version versions of ethereum, so that I will hopefully have the best client for mining, as well as all needed dependencies.

I have no idea what to do with ethereum overall. I poked around the GUI client. It may as well be in Chinese, I could interpret the "mine" button, but not much else.

I see that ethereum has a new release with mining. I am unsure if this is testnet or if it is the acual client and chain. No official gpu client and there are mining prizes / rewards for certain tasks.

There are people that have gotten the GPU mining going now. I have been working on it. If anyone wants to team up and figure it out, let me know. I am working with my main rig with 290xs and running ubuntu. I have been CPU mining, but I am having a hard time getting the GPUs to mine.

Pre release mining bonus has been extended for another 40000 blocks. I think that this is actually going to be profitable mining. I have mined 800 blocks in 2+ days. Block bonus is .5 ether for each block. So will likely have a quarter btc worth of ether, for a few day's mining. There are other misc rewards available too. For sending many transactions, and a few other random chance type rewards.

Sounds good so far!!

Glad to hear you are turning a profit. I should really look into this.

You guys have missed out on this one. I have picked up a half a bitcoin worth of ether, so far. Only 12,000 block to go for the testnet mining reward, but there should be some profitability at the start of the full release. Frontier release should be coming within days, so get your miners going now so you are ready.

.5 BTC is impressive, but BTC itself is so low.
It's that reason that no one even bothers to get mining again...

I'm still on the fence on it too....

Nevertheless, sounds like you'll pull in some BTC! :thup:

Ethereum launched the other day. I didn't have time to fire up any miners. If don't know how it is going or if is profitable. If you have idle you miners it may be worthwhile.

If you mined on olympic you only have a few days to claim your rewards.

I figured out my wallets and got my ether transferred right before the deadline. I picked up 1200 ether from the few weeks mining on the test net. I haven't done a thing with them though, I will hold them until I have time to dig into ethereum and see if it is something that I want to mess around with, vs liquidate.

You have a lot of Etherum saved up?
Just with the 1200 alone looks to be around 2 BTC - that's impressive in my books

Ethereum is looking good lately. I was going to cash out mine this morning, but I got a new phone and cant get in my polo account because of 2fa. I missed the top on it. I don't know whether to cash out anyways or wait for more gains...

Back