• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU and HDD died!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

Hi, i was working with my pc, than everything except my mouse freezed, i was on Ubuntu, i have dualtboot, then after few seconds my cursor freezed too, i forced to hold power button, after that i was on sublime programming, with vlc showing movie on left side of pc, my screen went crazy for a sec, a little after that my screen went black, i could work with pc and i heard sounds! My screen was showing that a HDMI cable is connected , and guess it wasn't getting output(only black screen)

After restartes i couldn't even see bios, i tried on board dvi(integrated graphics), it worked! My GPU fan spins

My HDD burned day before that, i was working , i decided to partion 160GB of my secondary HDD for ubuntu , i went and paritioned it, after i restarded my pc i realized i dont have a mounting point, than i restarted to re format it with mounting point, it stuck at bios, i couldn't get into bois either, i removed it and pc worked without the HDD, after i visited a repair store they told me firmware chip is burned, why is this happening! Whats causing this! What should i do now!?

Should i replace my psu or... Or just get new Graphics card and HDD and dont worry about anything!

My cousin keeps telling me my mobo ram and cpu is probably damaged too, and after few days or hours you will get blue screens and they will die one by one !!

Sorry for bad post im on phone ! I currently disconnected the power and not gonna use pc again !! Until i know what to do!
My cousin keep telling me its my fault ! What did i do wrong?!

If thread is long and bad, tell me to sunmrize it!

Note; my pc boots and works nornalyy, but i unplugged it for safety!!

My GPU always made buzzing noises in games specially minecraft, the kind of noise changed when i looked somewhere else i thought this is normal (someone told me)

Monitor recognizes GPU, waiting for output

My GPU fan spins and HDD motor works

Also if psu burned all my components, how can i find out if CPU isnt damaged , and motherboard too!

Summrized: after less than a year of having my pc, suddenly my screen went a little weird, i thought its glitch (Ubuntu bug) so i didn't care, than suddenly my screen went black, but my monitor still recogonized my GPU, Fans work too, Integrated graphics work but GPU doesn't even show bios

After rebooting to put mounting point for HDD partition i couldn't get past "press del to enter bios" i couldn't even get to bios, removing it works, a repair store told me that firmware chip is burned

What is happening ? why are 2 components dead and should i just buy new gpu and hdd,or replace my PSU too
,Also is my CPU and motherboard and ram damaged too? Thats the Shortest i can make this post ! Sorry!

Last edited:
A good way to start would be to list all your system components so that we can get an idea of what you are referencing in your post.

Sounds like your motherboard is toast.

I've had this happen to me three times in the past year, and it really fits. Your motherboard basically controls everything, if it's damaged then things stop working. My latest motherboard failure happened very similar to what you're saying.

Its highly unlikely all these components failed together at once with your motherboard being "ok". Unfortunately theres no real way for us to tell you more than you know without you trying these parts in another computer. But if I was a betting man, I would very much put it on your motherboard being toast.

CPU: I5-3570K
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-V
Graphics card: Sapphire 7750 1GB
RAM: (4x2)8GB Kingston hyperX blue 1600mhz
HDD: WD Green 500GB 7200Rpm
SSD: Intel 520 120GB
CPU Cooler: Stock
Fans: 2x140mm Intake front fans 1x120mm Exhaust fan
Case: Green Dragon Pro
PSU: Green 530W

Also my pc boots! Only HDD and GPU have problem which i sent HDD to repair store they will replace chip in next 2 days, also my grqphic card is waiting for a repair(if fixable) so i don't think its mobo prob,

And i don't know any other computers around me ;( don't know how to test

Sorry earthdog. I was going to delete previous one because it didn't have signature!

Edit:

I just remembered like a week ago my windows (i didn't have linux back then) showed the blue screen , it went fast u don't remember what it was! But i just had it twice, ine after another (not exactly after boot, but no other reboots between the blue screen!!

Last edited:
Well, I don't know of any way to test a motherboard other than using it.

Did you try using the gpu in another slot? Does your other hard drive work in that spot your old one did?

Edit: you're going to spend more on repairing these tthings than getting new ones. Don't fall into that trap.

And yes I'm aware you're in iran before your spout off on how "it's so expensive" there.

Yes. A failing motherboard explains all of this. It would also explain your mouse and keyboard issues. All of it can be blamed on the motherboard.

Well, I don't know of any way to test a motherboard other than using it.

Did you try using the gpu in another slot? Does your other hard drive work in that spot your old one did?

My pc turns on but its risky!! My cousin is 100% sure my psu is bad!

No i didn't, i sent gpu to a repair store !!! Im so dumb i should have tried that first!

Hdd didnt work on any slot or anything, but on my own pc, the vendor told me its damaged!!

Your Right!!! What killed my mobo than!!!
But im not 100% sure because my mouse only laged! My external hdd was fine, other devices too!

There's a serial killer inside my pc!!

Last edited:
Yes yes, exactly what happened!!!!!

My hdd didn't even work alone! The guy said im sure the ic is burned, back of my HDD was a little black like a month before dying! I got a picturr of it ( only a small part is like that!)

So what i understand is :

Psu was faulty it made my Mobo bleed, casuing the mouss problem ( only in G602 My mx518 works smoothly)
Than psu and mobo made my HDD Die, than after that spikes abd problems in mobo and psu killed the graphics , also when i haf blue screen it was my ram or mobo dieng, last few breath's of my pc i freezed when i played the ram Hungary minecraft, i also compiled programms a lot ! The time that mouse was moving but screen was freezed i was playing Minecraft!

Last edited:
Did you monitor temperatures at all?
Im not sure what you mean but i checked it alot , but not the moments before my GPU and HDD death! My pc always ran cool! Specially gpu!! It was at max 50degreez i think! Because it wasn't powerful! My cpu was 75 when running prime95(well, cpu is a little hot) , im not sure i don't remember correctly.

Im getting new PSU Saturday, after that i run some 3Dmarks and stuff to make sure and find out that my other parts are ok, but i have another question, is enermax revolution TX 730w good? With my new motherboard (P8Z77-V,if i find other models i rather not but asus) im planning to oc, im also getting a CM hyper evo 212 with it;)

Im not paying for repairs unless i agree, i just told them to find how much it costs for now!!

my other cousin ( pc pro ;) ) told me my PSU is just Horrible, he also told ne that my 530w psu gives 300w~ and its bad, so Saturday i will buy a good PSU, and wi test all my components, will tell you results ;) ty for help !! He also told me that im pretty sure that my Motherboard is damaged ;(

Last edited:
Back