• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Motherboard M5A78L-M/USB3 speed issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobbyM89

Hello, I have an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard with an AMD FX-6300 Pile-driver 3.5 GHz (Six Core) AM3+ Processor. 8 GB ddr3 ram. It is running on windows 7 but for some reason it is running super slow. My old stock duel core, 3 gb ddr2 computer is 5 times faster so I know something is not right. I purchased a bare bones kit and added the ram and hdd with a fresh copy of windows 7 64 bit. I started out trying windows 8, but tried windows 7 to see if it was the OS.... Any suggestions?? I have to much money in this computer for it to run like a 90s computer :-/ Literally takes 20 minuets to open a game off my steam account....

Last edited:
What HDD/SSD do you have?
Have you run a SMART test on it to make sure it's healthy?
If an SSD, is the BIOS set to AHCI mode?

How many sticks of RAM do you have?
What slot(s) are they in?

I have one 8gb stick 1600mhz in the slot closest to the processer.
Right now i just have a 250g hard drive i had laying around that i formatted and put windows 7. I'm still green with building new computers. I have not ran a smart test either. How do I run one???

I typically use CrystalDiskInfo for SMART data.
It is very possible that the HDD is simply loading that slowly.

For the RAM, it would have been best to get two sticks so they can run dual channel mode.
I've seen single channel RAM leave a nice build pretty lackluster before, as it cuts the potential memory bandwidth in half.

Ok. Is CrystalDiskInfo a program that I download??
So a new hard drive would make a difference? Im getting a 1TB hdd for it next week.
And so for the ram you suggest that I get another sick? Does it have to be an 8gb or would a 4gb help also. I'm already up to $600 on this tower so i'm getting a little sad.

My buddy thought it might have been a motherboard driver issue but i keep doing all the updates and drivers i can find for it

Ok. Is CrystalDiskInfo a program that I download??
So a new hard drive would make a difference? Im getting a 1TB hdd for it next week.
And so for the ram you suggest that I get another sick? Does it have to be an 8gb or would a 4gb help also. I'm already up to $600 on this tower so i'm getting a little sad.

My buddy thought it might have been a motherboard driver issue but i keep doing all the updates and drivers i can find for it

A different HDD could absolutely make a difference, as it is the limiting factor in things like OS/program/game load times.

If the issue persists after getting the new HDD a second stick of RAM could very well help.
To run dual channel you want two of the exact same sticks in the system, in the proper slots.

I got CrystalDiskInfo and it said hdd was good

That's good news!
Can you give the model number of the HDD?

HDD is.... WDC WD2500JD-75HBB0 250.0 GB

Serial Number WD-WCAL71854137

Thank you so much for this information, this is my first time using a forum. I have been completely lost trying to do it on my own

looks like atminside has you on the right track.
you really do want 2 sticks of ram, I just played HE double toothpicks because a board would only run in single channel.

Yeah, I'm just waiting for his response so ill know witch one to buy first the ram or the HDD. I'm on limited funds right now. and ready for this thing to run like it should lol

Had to drive home from work ;)

That's not a particularly fast HDD, it could easily be the source of your load times.
If you want something that'll truly load fast look for an SSD.

Do you have a budget set?

Thank you so much ATMINSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
went to best buy and purchased a 1TB HDD and another 8GB stick of the same ram and re-installed windows and IT WORKED!!!!!!
had to spend another $168 BUT was well worth it
again thank you so much!!!!!!!

Thank you so much ATMINSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
went to best buy and purchased a 1TB HDD and another 8GB stick of the same ram and re-installed windows and IT WORKED!!!!!!
had to spend another $168 BUT was well worth it
again thank you so much!!!!!!!

Glad it all works for you :thup:

Back