• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Half-assed mods (modifications)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
I searched for a thread but couldn't find one, so here it is. I'd like to see half-assed mods that people have done, even if long in the past. Mods that you think look terrible, but work just fine. Show your shame, or your pride. :beer:

I'll start, this is my Nintendo 64 that I import modded about fifteen years ago by melting down the blocking plastic tabs with a soldering iron. It was half-assed and looks terrible but it worked and still does.

14764349323_85143ffa45_b.jpg

14721454246_489febe1fe_b.jpg

14764313823_5f66e792f1_b.jpg

This wasn't a permanent modification, but my router blew its power supply awhile back. Luckily, it had a normal ATX pinout.

firewall_psu_2013-04-11_1.JPG

No pictures, but I was rear-ended by an Impala in my (now sold) Civic.
Nothing besides the bumper, trunk pan, or exhaust (and exhaust hangers) were messed up....

So, we took a metal clothes hanger, strung up the exhaust, and drove the car home!

Couldn't swing a LAN party case last year, so rigged plywood LAN gamer case :chair:

Attachments

• DSCF1370.JPG
    DSCF1370.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 605
  • image_id_1041879.jpg
    image_id_1041879.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 594
LOL That looks nicer than Silver's daily driver!

EDIT: You know I'm just teasing right?

Hehehe, mine is just bare wood, should stained it a nice deep colour :p

Anywho, as promised, my botched projects.

I'll put these in a spoiler to keep the page from being ugly looking :p
IMG243.jpg

IMG242.jpg

What's left from the first N64 after the OC project in my sig...
IMG433.jpg

My car probably goes here too.
The rust is getting real bad, 18K gold paint was as close as it's going to get to the original colour....
IMG431.jpg

IMG432.jpg
The whole car is covered in gold patches, so it looks ridiculous. Meh...
Also the O2 sensor wires broke so I had to rig the new one up with tie straps and twist the wires together. Does the job :shrug:

A sh*tbox yes, but it's great on gas!! :D

those old toyos, camrys and corollas go 300 thou as long as you change the oil and timming belts!!!!
not much as cars go but holly cow they never even eat transmissions!!!!

Camo the car. Half a dozen rattle cans and you're good to go. :thup:
Not a bad idea actually :)
those old toyos, camrys and corollas go 300 thou as long as you change the oil and timming belts!!!!
not much as cars go but holly cow they never even eat transmissions!!!!

426000 Km on it... Built in '95.
Sadly, I have a major power steering leak, and it's burning oil now. Not to mention it has no power to it. LOL you can run faster than it even if I floor it :p

Still, 560Km from a 40 Litre tank is :thup: in my books. :D

car... flex pipe section of the downpipe broke. soup can with the ends cut off, one cut down the middle, placed around the pipe, held on by exhaust clamps... no more exhaust leak.

car... flex pipe section of the downpipe broke. soup can with the ends cut off, one cut down the middle, placed around the pipe, held on by exhaust clamps... no more exhaust leak.

cut off a side step to a truck at work slid it over a flex pipe,and no more exhaust leak as well... lolll

Couldn't afford a new case after replacing the innards and buying a AIO Corsair cooler , so I broke out the Dremel and made room for it on the side cover. Works great. :) Crappy picture but it's all I have at the moment.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20140731.JPG
    Snapshot_20140731.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 402
Back